Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: UGH        (Topic#17120)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-18-14 10:29 PM - Post#175837    

About 600 paying customers tonight---all of whom spent most of their time looking at their watches or cellphones. Just awful play, but expected. Rider is OK, but clearly better than Delaware State. If DNH and Hicks have their brains in their butts and pick up stupid fouls, its freshmen against experienced players and the results are preordained. Sure, the frosh played hard, but they continually give up open shots and aren't nearly efficient enough to match those shots. From 21-20, it ballooned to 38-22 and we might as well have gone home then. This season will be seriously ugly, folks.

Redfish 
Masters Student
Redfish
Loc: under a bridge in Phoenix...
Reg: 11-26-04
Re: UGH
11-18-14 10:47 PM - Post#175841    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
This season will be seriously ugly, folks.

"season"???

try decade.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-18-14 10:53 PM - Post#175842    
    In response to Redfish

Redfish, you've won. You've attempted to strike down any optimism for 8 years now, claiming each successive team is the Worst Penn Team Ever, and I'm beaten....just beaten.

Hope you feel good about it.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
UGH
11-18-14 10:59 PM - Post#175843    
    In response to palestra38

Tonight was my breaking point. I don't know how many more games I will be attending with Jerome as coach. I will always think of him fondly, and it's not his fault, but this is a Mickey Mouse operation we are witnessing and everyone needs to he held accountable. From Amy on down. Seven games as an unpaid assistant...it's just mind-boggling.

You know it's bad when the flyer in the restroom uses an image of Tyler Bernardini to promote the weeks games.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
11-18-14 11:02 PM - Post#175844    
    In response to Quakers03

This all kind of brings up the inevitable question: will Penn end up dismissing two consecutive head coaches mid-season?

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
11-18-14 11:05 PM - Post#175845    
    In response to Silver Maple

Because I don't think that Jerome is an active cancer the way Miller was and because you could argue that a mid-season firing actually led to the disaster that we're now in (you get a bump from being a new voice that will make you appear to be a better coach than you are/ simple mean reversion) and I'd just as soon hold off.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-18-14 11:07 PM - Post#175846    
    In response to Quakers03

Compounded by the near North Korea-like situation of getting ANY kind of information about this program from anyone.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
11-18-14 11:07 PM - Post#175847    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Yeah, you're probably right, as long as the wheels don't come completely off (players in open revolt, villagers wielding torches and pitchforks, etc.).

What a cluster fukc.

Quakers03 
Professor

11-18-14 11:09 PM - Post#175848    
    In response to Jeff2sf

You can't let him go mid-season as we're right back to the same reason we supposedly couldn't hire someone over the summer. Who coaches? Nat Graham? I still can't believe he was retained THIS season when we've known since Zack and Dan left that he has no prayer. We really were left with some awesome retirement gift...

fdiapmf 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-03-05
11-18-14 11:35 PM - Post#175852    
    In response to Quakers03

It wouldn't do any good. I said earlier there would be 3 non ivy wins tops. I don't think anyone was expecting any different. This year's just about developing the freshmen. I don't think we're going to win next year, so unfortunately tony and DNH are moot.

gopenngo 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-30-06
11-18-14 11:46 PM - Post#175853    
    In response to fdiapmf

What's really depressing is seeing the NCAA's release of the tournament sites through 2018 and not even bothering to look at them.

It's that bad.

fdiapmf 
Masters Student

11-19-14 12:06 AM - Post#175855    
    In response to gopenngo

I know, but this didnt just happen overnight. I think most of us have come to grips with this since at least last year. But I think now everyone is realizing we're about to lose another year and should've hired a new coach over the summer. The losing a whole year part is probably the worst part, and it's just starting to sink in.

FireJerome 
Freshman

Reg: 11-22-13
11-19-14 12:09 AM - Post#175856    
    In response to fdiapmf

• fdiapmf Said:
But I think now everyone is realizing we're about to lose another year and should've hired a new coach over the summer.

Hate to say I told you so! He should've been gone the second the season ended last year regardless of the AD situation. FIRE JEROME NOW!

Quakers03 
Professor

11-19-14 12:24 AM - Post#175858    
    In response to fdiapmf

• fdiapmf Said:
This year's just about developing the freshmen.

And that right there is the biggest problem of all. Has any guard not named Zack Rosen really improved? Experience alone should allow everyone to improve, but a coach can help take it to the next level. I figured at the very least we'd have this benefit...

fdiapmf 
Masters Student

11-19-14 12:24 AM - Post#175859    
    In response to FireJerome

Listen I think this whole board agreed with this sentiment for months. We were talkin about Bruce Pearl last January. There's no point doing it now, I don't think that's even up for debate.

fdiapmf 
Masters Student

11-19-14 12:30 AM - Post#175861    
    In response to Quakers03

That part is beyond puzzling, our coach played in the nba.

But at the very least give the freshmen 15-20 mins vs nova, Harvard, let them take their lumps whatever long term benefits that may have. Maybe it'll motivate them to work hard over the summer. Man it's early to be talking about this.

gopenngo 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-30-06
11-19-14 12:30 AM - Post#175862    
    In response to gopenngo

And here's why I'm so pessimistic through 2018 - we're recruiting the same players. In another thread Steve Danley explained that one of the reasons for last year's disappointment was that the four best players played two positions.

Well, here we go again. This year we're complementing our 6'1 SG Hicks with the similarly sized Woods and Foreman. And for next year we've landed the star recruits who will put Penn basketball back on the map: 6'2" PG Silpe and 6'1" SG Donahue. We're consoling ourselves on this season by saying the development of the freshmen (half of which are small guards) will help to turn the program around. Yet next year's freshmen small guards are intended to make this year's irrelevant.

I'm too tired to even go into the whole small forward thing, but it may be that we're developing Sam Jones now, hoping to replace him with Jule Brown next year. Brown is described as a wing, but I guess that really means PF to make room for all those small guards.

We're loading up with the same players and there is no complete team on the horizon. Any perceived recruiting success from this regime is just another illusion.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-19-14 12:39 AM - Post#175865    
    In response to gopenngo

I've been complaining about the small guards for a while. I don't think this group is quite as redundant in terms of skill sets, though. I think Foreman is more of a point guard, and Woods more a combo. I like Woods; he looks to me to have potential on both sides of the court (in addition to short and redundant players, we've also gotten a lot of one way players since Dunphy left). And while he's on the short size, I think he's strong enough that he won't get pushed around like some of the other small guards have.

Don't know how next year's guards will fit/translate.

I think Brown and Jones are different skill set guys, from what I've read. Options are fine -- it's what Ivies do. The only way to compete with scholarships is to take advantage of the fact you can give roster slots to more players. Take a bunch of bites at the apple. Of course, the approach looks better if more of your recruits pan out.

FireJerome 
Freshman

Reg: 11-22-13
11-19-14 12:51 AM - Post#175866    
    In response to fdiapmf

• fdiapmf Said:
Listen I think this whole board agreed with this sentiment for months. We were talkin about Bruce Pearl last January. There's no point doing it now, I don't think that's even up for debate.

Sure you were talking about it, but almost everyone on this board simply accepted that Jerome would get another year because of Bilsky leaving, which is where I became frustrated. Whether or not people on this board will acknowledge it, alumni played a role in Miller getting fired. If you old heads would've put up more of a fight maybe Jerome would not currently be the head coach. You guys should've done whatever it is that you old rich people do to pull strings. Call the athletic department and threaten not to donate to the program, make a fuss about the good old days of penn basketball, anything! But no, everyone just sat around and now you're all going to complain all year because Jerome is the worst coach of all time. Again, I told you so. Blame Bilsky all you want but there was a point in time where some of you (I know some of you on here have influence) could have acted, and did nothing. This is your reward. Another 20 loss season. Congrats.

fdiapmf 
Masters Student

11-19-14 12:53 AM - Post#175867    
    In response to gopenngo

You make a solid point.

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.167 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:41 PM