Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn State        (Topic#17141)
mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
11-21-14 11:29 PM - Post#176163    

At the half, Cornell 37 PSU 28.

mountainred 
Masters Student

11-22-14 12:51 AM - Post#176167    
    In response to mountainred

Wow. Penn St. 72 Cornell 71. Cornell leads pretty much the entire game, but PSU hits a 3 with 4.8 seconds left to close the gap to one. Cornell can't inbound (even after a time out) and Miller decides to chuck the ball to midcourt and hope for the best. The Nits get it, and DJ Newbill hits a driving lay-up at the horn. Huge wasted opportunity.

Yeah, not the first last second loss to a power conference team in Ivy history, but crap.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
11-22-14 09:19 AM - Post#176179    

1. Kudos on a very hard fought game against a legitimate opponent. It should be noted that to an outsider (watching on ILDN), this team bears no resemblance to last year's team. Cornell has my vote for most improved team - in the nation.

2. From a talent perspective, Cornell really has it. Athleticism, size, shooting, I was impressed and somewhat surprised by what I saw. Last year's "center" seems to now come off the bench and isn't even looked to for offense. There is one Vanderbilt student who has to wonder what could have been. It's his loss.

3. Cornell was robbed last night. Although the previous post showed class not to complain about the officials, I must report that with Cornell up by 1 and 4.7 seconds remaining, a Penn State player clearly called for a timeout - although Penn State didn't have any left. The Penn State coach ran onto the floor and actually grabbed/pushed his player to get him to stop calling for a timeout. That's a technical foul doubly worthy of North Carolina's Fab Five (player + coach)! Had that been called correctly, Cornell wins.

4. On the other hand, the biggest downside was decision making. There were just too many ill advised passes. Sometimes, passes connected, but left the recipient with nowhere to go.

5. With time, practice, discipline and coaching, the talent is there to stay with anyone in the Ivy League (yes, even Harvard). If nothing else, I think the Penn board members will be very very surprised when Penn gets wiped by Cornell. I've been watching the Penn fans project finishing above Cornell and Dartmouth for the last few months. It was obvious Penn can't beat Dartmouth, now I know that Cornell is likely a large cut above as well. With the talent Cornell has, it is likely that it will scare and hopefully beat a lot of teams who are already counting on an easy win.

6. The purity of sport: from Beast of the Ivy League to the consummate underdog - in just five years! Enjoy being the spoiler, there are less strings attached.

mountainred 
Masters Student

11-22-14 10:27 AM - Post#176184    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, the refs should have caught the attempted timeout, but you have complete the inbound play. Miller's idea wasn't worst given his lack of options, at least it made PSU move the ball from half court in an unsettled situation. You just have to run something better after the timeout.

Onuorah is still the starter at center; he just battled foul trouble most of the night. LaMore was great filling in for him (6 points, 3 OR, 1 blk). But Onuorah had the block trailing on the fast break with about 45 seconds to keep the game tied. It was the kind of block that power conference teams do to Ivy guards, not that we do to them.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
11-22-14 11:57 AM - Post#176189    

My mistake about Onourah (I tuned in late).
Clemson lost last night when it's coach called for timeout he didn't have. I wonder if the refs have been instructed to be forgiving if the players call for the timeout as opposed to the coach. Would be understandable. On the other hand, a coach who runs onto the floor and touches a player should be called for a technical foul.

Nevertheless, yes, Cornell had the game won until they made some bad mistakes. I haven't seen much of Miller. Clearly he has unlimited potentional, but aside from the pass where his options were limited, he did allow Newbill to drive right around him. Seemed flat footed on the play.

Anyway, these are things that can and will be fixed. The talent is there.

I'll enjoy it when teams like Penn, Princeton, Columbia and Brown, run into Cornell in Ithaca. Harvard likely has too much size and depth, and Yale has Sears and Duren, but who knows. I don't want to begrudge Dartmouth as they've had it tough.

mountainred 
Masters Student

11-22-14 04:23 PM - Post#176206    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:

Anyway, these are things that can and will be fixed. The talent is there.

With all respect, here is where you and I part ways. These things can be fixed, but will they? Probably not. Cancer and Cherry are still making the same mistakes as seniors that they made as freshman. I'd love for you to be right, but I've watched enough of this team not to be optimistic.

There was a 10 second sequence near the end that encapsulated what it's like to watch Cornell Basketball during the Courtney era. Game tied with under a minute and the Big Red have the ball.
* Cherry makes a horribly lazy pass up top that PSU steals and turns into a likely transition basket.
* Cornell hustles back and Onuorah blocks what should have been an uncontested lay-up from behind.
* Cherry grabs the rebound and makes a coast-to-coast run never looking for a teammate. He ends the drive with a ridiculous circus lay-up attempt.
* He actually hits the shot and draws the foul.
* He misses the free throw (the only miss on the night).

In sum, several insanely athletic plays alternating with horrific decisions. When they did this as freshman, you could dream of what the team would look like after they cleaned up their game. Now that they are seniors, I've come to realize this is who they are. It can be awfully entertaining, while simultaneously being very frustrating.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-22-14 07:00 PM - Post#176217    

Any fullcourt pressure from Cornell? Hint, hint.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-22-14 11:02 PM - Post#176242    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
If nothing else, I think the Penn board members will be very very surprised when Penn gets wiped by Cornell.

Not this one. Saw their game against South Carolina and was very impressed by the same qualities that you mentioned. This is not a last place Ivy team.

mountainred 
Masters Student

11-23-14 03:27 PM - Post#176285    
    In response to SRP

SRP, they seem to be using more and more of it, plus very aggressive man in the halfcourt. They've been pressing Drexel most of the night. The Dragons aren't turning it over, but it seems to have thrown off their offense. (Drexel is shooting 6 of 33 in the first half, 0-9 from behind the arc.)

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-25-14 05:39 PM - Post#176466    
    In response to penn nation

Nor this one. Penn definitely could finish last. We do match up better with Cornell than Dartmouth, I think. But that's not saying a whole lot.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.31 seconds.   Total Queries: 18   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:04 AM