Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy Site says .....        (Topic#172)
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
12-07-04 11:45 AM - Post#791    

Patman leaves Dartmouth. Waz up?

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Ivy Site says .....
12-07-04 03:21 PM - Post#792    
    In response to AsiaSunset

injury redshirt, according to the spec

[edit] sorry- thats not true. I think its implied, but it certainly isnt said expressly.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
12-07-04 03:28 PM - Post#793    
    In response to light blue heavy

The Valley News article "Pattman Puts Hoops in His Past," says he quit the team. Dunn sounds disappointed, but has not ruled out a return to the team at some later point.

-Mike

ballfan01 
goober
ballfan01
Loc: New England
12-07-04 04:41 PM - Post#794    
    In response to Mike Porter

Leon will probably not return to the team at a later time. It's not a red-shirt situation. We'll see how he feels after sophomore summer.
I bleed green.

Anonymous 

12-07-04 06:17 PM - Post#795    
    In response to ballfan01

care to explain why?

ballfan01 
goober
ballfan01
12-07-04 06:25 PM - Post#796    
    In response to

Explain what? Why I think that? Let's just say I heard it from the horse's mouth.
I bleed green.

Anonymous 

12-07-04 06:42 PM - Post#797    
    In response to ballfan01

I was just curious if you wanted to share any more information than "he is leaving the team and probably won't come back" ... like why now? Is it because of the lingering injuries? Problems with the new coach? Other issues? Inquiring minds want to know, that's all.

ballfan01 
goober
ballfan01
12-07-04 06:45 PM - Post#798    
    In response to

Withouth disrespecting his privacy, I'll say it's a combination of all those things. I hope that it's not a permanent thing as Terry said in the Valley News article, but as of right now, it's not solely an injury thing.
I bleed green.

BigGreenjeans 
goober

Reg: 11-22-04
12-07-04 08:31 PM - Post#799    
    In response to ballfan01

Combination of things may be accurate but is also vague. My question: was there conflict with Dunn, and if so, over what? And since there's clearly injury issues, why isn't he and the school choosing to redshirt?

ballfan01 
goober
ballfan01
12-07-04 08:36 PM - Post#800    
    In response to BigGreenjeans

I'm not going to betray Leon's confidence. It's vague on purpose. He is not choosing a redshirt because it isn't a decision he based solely on injury which should implicate truly what he is feeling about why he chose to do what he did. I apologize for being vague, but I'll not disrespect Leon or Terry.
I bleed green.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

12-07-04 09:08 PM - Post#801    
    In response to ballfan01

Does he have interest in transferring at all?

ballfan01 
goober
ballfan01
12-07-04 09:10 PM - Post#802    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

From my conversations with him. No, he doesn't. He plans on being on campus for his sophomore summer which is required of Dartmouth sophomores for those unfamiliar with our schedule.
I bleed green.

d92 
Freshman

Reg: 11-24-04
12-07-04 10:26 PM - Post#803    
    In response to ballfan01

I remembered this quote in this article about Pattman regarding his decision to attend Dartmouth as not being driven by basketball, but by other considerations (presumably academics, etc).

http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/vnews/display.v?TARGET=printable&article_id=40234473382fa

So if he has decided to focus on school and leave basketball behind, I can respect that...and I'm glad to hear that he's going to continue to pursue his degree at Dartmouth. Obviously, he's a very talented player and it's a big blow to the basketball team and those that follow it, but at the end of the day, you've got to enjoy what you do.
However, to someone many miles away from Hanover, it's hard to fathom what could be so bad (outside of his injuries that were clearly hampering him) that would make him want to quit. I mean, how can it be worse than a miserable 3-25 season with a lame duck head coach? And it seemed to me that one of the reasons Dunn was hired was because he made a good impression on the players...and in the Valley News article, it's clear that Dunn wants him to stay and left the door open for his return. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Anonymous 

12-08-04 05:42 PM - Post#804    
    In response to d92

I think this thing is being blown way out of proportion. Let's be honest here. Leon's hurt, and even last year, his injuries prevented him from playing the kind of defense that he needed to play (you can't sag in on the center *and* get out to guard the perimeter if you've got a groin pull). If he's gone for good, it's certainly a loss for the program, but in the short term, isn't a healthy player of somewhat lesser talent better than an injured star?

Dunn wants to be competitive from day one, and I think that as far as this year, goes they might be better off giving the minutes to someone who's healthy. It might also mean some extra touches for BDG, who doesn't seem to be getting the 20 touches a game that Dunn advertised. If Dartmouth can establish Gardner as a real inside threat, it will open things up for Callahan, McLaren, and Meyer. Yes, McLaren hasn't shot well since his freshman year, but he's also been playing without a true threat in the middle (yes, Gardner is in his class, but he wasn't a true threat running all that high-post garbage). If BDG becomes the force in the middle that we've been looking for, McLaren could become an important scoring option again.

The pressure is on Gardner and Arnold here to lead the way, but Dartmouth can work through this, especially if Lang gets back to freshman year form.

Fortunately, we have the D3 game to play with, see how things work, and figure out what the lineup is going to look like. It'll certainly be interesting to see where Dartmouth goes from here.

-The Ghost

d92 
Freshman

Reg: 11-24-04
12-09-04 01:48 AM - Post#805    
    In response to

In the short term, yes, the impact on the court is minimized by the fact that he's currently far below 100%. But you're missing the bigger picture in that 1) quitting the team altogether is a much bigger deal than sitting out a number of games or even the entire season to rehab the injuries while remaining part of the team, and 2) rebuilding the program is a longer term process that Pattman was expected to be a big part of...not just this season, but the next 2 as well.
Dunn and the team will move forward with the guys that want to be there and hopefully some players will step up. But I don't think this is being blown way out of proportion; Pattman was the Ivy Freshman of the Year for a reason.

Anonymous 

12-09-04 09:27 PM - Post#806    
    In response to d92

I'm not saying that this isn't a big loss. However, this entire thing is a process. As much as TD says he wants to be competitive from Day 1, I think Josie Harper understands that that's not easy to do.

The important things this season are that Terry gets his system in place (I felt good about that after QU, not so much lately), does a good job recruiting (which I understand he is), and changes the attitude around the program.

Terry will have at least five years to show progress. While it would be nice if Leon came back next year to speed that along, I'd like to think that Terry will get the job done without him.

This is a process, folks. Let's not let an early setback -admittedly, a sizable one - take our focus away from the big picture of what's going on and what needs to happen.

-The Ghost

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.231 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:04 PM