Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 14 « First<5678>» Last
Username Post: New Coach?        (Topic#17533)
seas2k4 
Junior

Reg: 11-21-04
02-19-15 01:00 PM - Post#182810    
    In response to Quakers03

Any other guys at the Big 5 schools that could come on board?

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-19-15 02:45 PM - Post#182822    
    In response to gopenngo

I wonder how much name recognition matters these days. The recruiting process is so advanced at this point that kids we would be trying to get to commit in the short term may already have had contact with a lot of the lesser "names" we're talking about. I'm not sure that a guy walking in off the TV beats that groundwork. Probably depends on the family.

We already know that a guy walking off the TV and talking to your mom at the super market doesn't work.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-19-15 02:47 PM - Post#182823    
    In response to gopenngo

On Gaudio, I wonder what the real story is. This is a guy who seemingly handled a big program well during a very difficult time. Odd they fired him, and odd that he hasn't been hired by someone else. He might be a fine hire, but I'd want to be sure we did our due diligence.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-19-15 08:21 PM - Post#182834    
    In response to SomeGuy

Here is a link to an article where Grace Calhoun is interviewed last fall.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pretzel/ New-Pen...

There is specific talk the basketball program and Jerome's status in the middle of the article. Here is a clip:

Q:You talked about getting the men's basketball program back to health, and I'm sure you have been asked about that many times by many people. What do you think it's going to take?

GC:I can assure you it has been the most common question. What I can say at this early stage is I've been very pleased with the partnership that I feel I've been able to create with head coach Jerome Allen. I sat him down from the first conversation and said that both he knows and I know that at the end of the season, both of us will be heavily judged on how successful men's basketball was this year.

I plan to do everything in my power to partner with him to help him be successful. And then, you know, ultimately it's going to rest on his shoulders to see what happens.

Certainly, from that press conference forward, I have been clear that we are doing what we can to give Jerome a fair chance to show that he can be a successful leader of that program. And just looking at all the things we do surrounding the program to help Jerome and the rest of the staff.

I've heard a lot about attendance and what are we doing to really work with student groups and the campus at large, because we know that when there's a great home court advantage, it helps a team be successful. What are we doing to brand and image our programs to generate more visibility and more interest in the community, what are all the things we're doing around the program, again, to help the program be successful?

I want to look back at the end of the year and feel like we did everything we could to position our program to be successful, and then ultimately it's on them to do just that.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-19-15 10:02 PM - Post#182845    
    In response to PennFan10

It should also be noted that Calhoun fired the Loyola basketball coach with 1 year left on his contract just weeks after she took the Loyola job. In her first 3 years at Loyola she replaced all but 2 Division 1 head coaches at Loyola. That's not necessarily a good fact, but it is a fact. She doesn't appear to be shy about replacing coaches. At Loyola, she hired an experienced HC, Porter Moser and took the school from the Horizon league into the Missouri Valley Conference. She definitely made some moves to leave her mark on that program.

I would be surprised if there is not a coaching change at Penn.

QuakerShaker 
Freshman

Loc: West Coast
Reg: 02-04-10
02-19-15 10:28 PM - Post#182846    
    In response to mrjames

How do we know the details of Allen's contract? Is this printed anywhere? Everyone seems to know and I'm just wondering how.
When are we going to put in Solomito?

20Penn14 
Senior

Reg: 02-26-12
02-20-15 10:11 AM - Post#182866    
    In response to QuakerShaker

I know this is a stretch, but what about Avery Johnson. His daughter is a manager on the Men's team, so he does have a Penn connection. Though this is probably way below his pay level

gopenngo 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-30-06
02-20-15 10:58 AM - Post#182869    
    In response to 20Penn14

Excellent! That's what will get us excited about Penn basketball again. Stretches are welcome here.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
02-20-15 12:23 PM - Post#182876    
    In response to QuakerShaker

I don't know that it has been publicly reported in a news story or anything, but it is the case that there are two seasons left after this one.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
02-20-15 02:12 PM - Post#182895    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
I don't know that it has been publicly reported in a news story or anything, but it is the case that there are two seasons left after this one.

How then do you know that this is the case? Not doubting you, I'm genuinely curious about the source of this information.

mrjames 
Professor

02-20-15 03:07 PM - Post#182900    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

I've been around the league a while, so this sort of info often gets widely known privately among other people who have been around the league a while before it gets reported publicly. Usually, it's not necessarily because it's a big secret that people are trying to hide, but rather that the story falls through the cracks of being important enough for a big paper to chase and report and being easy enough to nail down for a college paper.

Though, I look forward to the day in the future when details about Penn's coaching situation are considered news that warrants mention in Philly newspapers.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-20-15 03:12 PM - Post#182901    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:

Though, I look forward to the day in the future when details about Penn's coaching situation are considered news that warrants mention in Philly newspapers.

Or even much lower hanging fruit like the campus daily.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
02-20-15 04:19 PM - Post#182905    
    In response to penn nation

Bagnoli was front page news so I don't think that's the issue. There are plenty of reporters I respect who cover the team and yet none have told the story. I'd love to know why that is. I've heard Jerome can be vindictive but what exactly would a reporter be losing? They don't get any access anyway...

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
New Coach?
02-20-15 06:11 PM - Post#182918    
    In response to Quakers03

The part that gets me is that we learn about the Allen extension from a guy from Harvard. No offense meant at all, Mike - we love you and all, but it means the news is out there though due to WH arrogance or whatever it is not worthy to be shared with the unwashed masses.

I'd still be willing to look past the information firewall except the team hasn't played well for years and there aren't enough bright spots to get me excited about the future.

Edited by TheLine on 02-20-15 06:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrjames 
Professor

Re: New Coach?
02-21-15 05:20 PM - Post#183048    
    In response to TheLine

HA! I just can't seem to shake that "guy from Harvard" label.

I only know what I know about Penn's situation because I'm fascinated by what's going on here. At my core, I love predicting the future, so I become obsessed with buy low, sell high opportunities. I was convinced that Harvard could become a very good program with the right person to sell the lifetime opportunity that it presented. I was convinced the Ivy League didn't have to spend the future mired among the bottom 10 conferences in college basketball. And now I'm convinced that the right hire could turn Penn from a Bottom 100 team to a Top 100 team in as little as three years. (Doesn't hurt that Penn rising would further bolster my previous prediction that the league would rise).

Once Grace said that strange comment about Allen's contract length, I decided to dig in and figure things out. It's my nightmare that Penn is stuck with Jerome beyond this season, so I had to know what was going on.

Normally, I wouldn't go digging around for information I don't care about.

fdiapmf 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-03-05
02-24-15 06:32 AM - Post#183443    
    In response to mrjames

As an aside, there are some great Kerr anecdotes in there. That's the type of coach we need.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/02/20/golden -state-warr...

Kerr always planned on coaching, but it wasn’t until two years ago, while working as a broadcaster for TNT, that he says he began preparing in earnest. That summer he attended a sports leadership conference at the Aspen Institute in Colorado and ran into Jeff Van Gundy, whose work Kerr admired. Van Gundy told Kerr what he tells all aspiring coaches: Write down everything. Everything you’ve learned, everything you want to do. Everything you’d change. It’ll organize your thoughts. Develop your philosophy......

Kerr began collecting plays too, pausing games on the flat-screen at his San Diego home whenever he saw an action he liked – a backdoor lob off an inbounds or a particularly potent flare screen. Then he’d shoot an email to Kelly Peters, a friend and coach at nearby Torrey Pines High (and now a Warriors advance scout). Peters pulled the footage and compiled it using iMovie. Week by week, Kerr’s file – named ATOs, for ‘After Timeouts” – grew.

penn62 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-27-05
02-24-15 05:46 PM - Post#183529    
    In response to fdiapmf

Has anyone here considered Jim Engles, the NJIT Coach. He's done a good job there, has a Penn connection and apparently is very popular at the school.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-24-15 07:08 PM - Post#183540    
    In response to penn62

• penn62 Said:
Has anyone here considered Jim Engles, the NJIT Coach. He's done a good job there, has a Penn connection and apparently is very popular at the school.

Hey, we can actually offer him a conference to play in. That oughta do it right there.

gopenngo 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-30-06
02-24-15 09:17 PM - Post#183554    

Will work for conference affiliation?

seas2k4 
Junior

02-24-15 09:54 PM - Post#183568    

I know it's an impossibly tough job, but Engles is 81-122. And his Penn connection is pretty tangential.

Big week coming up for Coaches Toole and Langel both.

Page 5 of 14 « First<5678>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.335 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:52 AM