Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: next year's sschedule        (Topic#17808)
barryw 
Sophomore

Reg: 05-05-10
04-14-15 10:11 AM - Post#188076    

Known; Penn is limited to 28 games due to the ridiculous Ivy rules in regard to exempted tournaments. There are of course 18 city and Ivy games. We always play Lafayette so that makes 19. I am assuming we are owed home games with Navy and Binghamton,I don't think that Vanderbilt will be coming here to return the game played down there.Whether the series with Marist, Rider, and Niagara continue, I don't know. Does anyone know any other info?

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
04-14-15 10:20 AM - Post#188078    
    In response to barryw

We probably owe a road game to Delaware State.

Vanderbilt was a guarantee game; they will not be returning to the Palestra.

We just completed a four year series with Wagner.

We just finished home and home series with Rider, Marist, Monmouth and Niagara. Any one or more of them could become a four year series.

We customarily play at least one guarantee game. Will we try to play road games in Chicago for Tony Hicks and in the state of Washington for Darien?

Penn90 
Masters Student
Penn90
Reg: 11-22-04
04-14-15 11:19 AM - Post#188083    
    In response to Stuart Suss

I'm hoping Penn travels to DC to honor Jamal Lewis, who will be a senior. I'd love a game at AU; I could walk to it from my house.
Leges sine moribus vanae

pennhoops 
Postdoc

04-14-15 12:34 PM - Post#188089    
    In response to Stuart Suss

• Stuart Suss Said:
Will we try to play road games in Chicago for Tony Hicks

One would think that with the connection of Calhoun getting a game at Loyola would not be out of the question.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
Re: next year's sschedule
04-15-15 09:24 PM - Post#188162    
    In response to barryw

• barryw Said:
Known; Penn is limited to 28 games due to the ridiculous Ivy rules in regard to exempted tournaments.

What precisely are you referring to? 5 of the 8 Ivy teams played more than 28 games in the regular season last year. If you're referring to only being able to do it once every so many years (I think it's 4), that's a NCAA rule, not an Ivy one.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
04-16-15 08:10 AM - Post#188169    
    In response to dperry

Donahue has a reputation for tough scheduling. That may be part of what got him in trouble at BC.

If they go to Seattle (for DNH) the choices are Washington, Wash St, Gonzaga, and EWU. My money is on Washington.

For Chicago there are a lot of choices. Illinois, Northwestern (both Big 10), Loyola or Illinois State (MVC), UIC, Valparaiso (Horizon), NIU (MAC)or Depaul (Big East). I would suspect Northwestern or Depaul.

palestra38 
Professor

04-16-15 08:33 AM - Post#188172    
    In response to PennFan10

My guess is Seattle will be a money game---we'll play Loyola in Chicago as a result of Calhoun's ties in a home and home.

Assuming any of this happens....

barryw 
Sophomore

Reg: 05-05-10
04-16-15 09:33 AM - Post#188179    
    In response to palestra38

The Ivy rule is you can play in an exempted tournament once every four years. The NCAA rule is you can play in one every year, but not the same one for four years

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
04-16-15 10:51 AM - Post#188191    
    In response to barryw

• Quote:
The Ivy rule is you can play in an exempted tournament once every four years. The NCAA rule is you can play in one every year, but not the same one for four years

A little history, because this is one of the most aggravating rules in Ivy basketball.

These "exempted" tournaments (where you play 3-4 games in short order and they count as one game) indeed used to be once in four years at the NCAA level. The promoters and TV saw a ton of value in them and pressured the NCAA to allow teams to participate in one every year. The NCAA's only stipulation was that you could only participate in a particular one once every four years.

When the NCAA made that change, the Ivies had to react, because that caused the number of these tournaments to explode and now Ivies could be regular participants in them. So, the league set a 2-in-4 rule where you can participate twice in a rolling four-year span. It's a silly rule that severely impacts the ability of the league to make statements in a fair fight on a neutral court (Harvard has taken particular advantage, winning the inaugural B4A and the Alaska Shootout in 2011 and 2013, respectively).

Cornell and Princeton played in two "Made For ESPN" tourneys this year and both nearly grabbed Top 100 wins.

If I were Exec Dir, I'd propose a trade to the presidents. You can do 2-in-4 for free, but if you want to do more than that, each year you do, you have to sacrifice an extra game. So, instead of playing 27 games + 1 MTE, you'd only get to play 26 + the MTE in those extra years. Or, heck, make the team pay two games. Most coaches would still do it, because it's outstanding for exposure, and that trade would actually DECREASE missed class time rather than increase it (because it could often eliminate a mid-week bus trip road game).

Putting any thought into properly aligning the rules of athletics around our core values is anathema to the presidents, but hopefully some day someone will be able to stand up to them and force them to consider creative solutions that are win-win for everyone.

section110 
Masters Student

Loc: south jersey
Reg: 11-22-04
04-16-15 11:08 AM - Post#188193    
    In response to mrjames

Your lips to God's ear.

OneIvyOne 
Junior

Loc: West
Reg: 08-28-13
04-16-15 12:02 PM - Post#188204    
    In response to mrjames

Great explanation and clarification.

QuakerShaker 
Freshman

Loc: West Coast
Reg: 02-04-10
05-04-15 07:24 PM - Post#188931    
    In response to OneIvyOne

Why are we playing games against Wagner, Rider, Marist, Monmouth, Delaware State and Niagara? These are no-name programs (all of which are probably better than us). Playing 4 or 5 games against them in a season is insanity. Save the gasoline.
When are we going to put in Solomito?

Redfish 
Masters Student
Redfish
Loc: under a bridge in Phoenix...
Reg: 11-26-04
05-13-15 12:15 AM - Post#189120    
    In response to QuakerShaker

low-majors play low-majors

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
05-13-15 08:19 AM - Post#189125    
    In response to QuakerShaker

Truth is in most years we have our fair share of games against these types of programs.

The difference is that until the last couple of years we've tried to schedule more games against more competitive teams. This has included, but not been restricted to, participating in tournaments.

It speaks volumes about how low the program has gotten that our AD has gone out of his/her way to give our team the weakest schedule possible other than the Big 5 games.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.214 seconds.   Total Queries: 18   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:19 PM