Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Donohue embraces advanced stats        (Topic#17892)
Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
Donohue embraces advanced stats
05-20-15 03:24 PM - Post#189313    
    In response to mrjames

What you're describing is the Calipari-employed variation on the motion offense, which has been widely adopted:

Dribble Drive Motion Offense

What makes it appear more free-flowing or even unstructured, I think, is its reliance on using spacing to create driving lanes rather than screens. But in any type of motion O I think the "flow" only comes when all five players on the floor are in sync on the decisions made based on the options presented by the D.

I mean, Fran Dunphy's version of the motion can look just as wide open as Calipari's when it's working right, even though it doesn't emphasize the dribble drive to the same extreme. When it's not and players make bad decisions, or perhaps worse yet hesitate and make no decision when they're in a triple-threat position, any motion O can look static and slow and "coached" (in that the players seem to be waiting for the coach to tell them what to do).

Edited by Chip Bayers on 05-20-15 03:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
05-25-15 08:29 PM - Post#189383    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I bet Rick Pitino is excited by the shorter shot clock. He can put in all his matchup zones and halfcourt pressures and offenses will be in that desperation zone five seconds sooner.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.214 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:17 AM