Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Aron Cohen        (Topic#179)
Anonymous 

12-08-04 01:14 AM - Post#836    

Got my first look at Aron tonight in a fun, well-played game with Abington Friends hosting Inter-Ac power Germantown Academy.

GA, featuring Ryan Ayers (Notre Dame), Brian Grimes and 6-8 junior Andrew Ott won by 4 or so, but Cohen was definitely, indisputably the star of the game. He hit 3s off the break, 3s off the dribble, he drove the lane and dished, drove the lane and finished and made at least two long passes to cutters for layups. He also handled the ball for much of the game and played solid D. It was a very solid effort against a very good team.

I guess he's around 6-2. Not great hops (based on this game) and doesn't seem that quick or fast, but he does get to where he needs to be before you'd expect. Very heady. Surprisingly tough.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Aron Cohen
12-08-04 09:15 PM - Post#837    
    In response to

Thks Howard - Tommy McMahon had 17 last night as his Serra team won easily in Calif. Brennen Votel sat out the second game of his two game sit down. Cov Catholic lost both games.

penn72 
Freshman

Loc: Columbia, Missouri
Reg: 12-06-04
12-09-04 04:07 PM - Post#838    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Asia,

Why was Brennen sitting out two games? Injury?

Not choking the coach, I presume.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-09-04 09:34 PM - Post#839    
    In response to penn72

Non basketball related violation of team rules. End of story

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
12-19-04 09:14 PM - Post#840    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I went to see Aron Cohen on Friday and Saturday.

On Friday he was benched for the first 6 minutes of the game for unspecified disciplinary reasons. He came into the game, dribbled up court against moderate pressure, stopped at the top of the key and drained a 3. He next touched the ball on the baseline and nailed another 3. At the end of the quarter, with the clock running out, he drove the lane and threw up an off balanced shot. It went in.

For most of the game his Abington Friends School (AFS) team led Choate by 40. The final three quarters were continuous garbage time. Cohen shot without much conscience or discipline, making most of his shots. On the defensive end he played the baseline in a 2:3 zone, not showing much for evaluation purposes.

On Saturday he played agains Episcopal (of Maryland). He was not the best player on the court. That honor goes to Episcopal's center who is heading for Syracuse. Aron was not even the best player on his team. It did turn out that he had been playing that game, and the game the night before with a fever. That probably explains his off night shooting the ball. He did make a 3 that put his team into the lead for good with less than 3 minutes remaining in the game. Defensively, I could not get much of a take since AFS played a lot of zone, collapsing around the Episcopal center.

I agree with much of what Howard Gensler posted on December 7. Aron is a confindent ball handler and an over-confident, frequently successful, three point shooter. He made several accurate, mid range passes in transition. He drives well to the basket when an opening is available, though not quite with the initial burst of an Eric Osmundson. Aron may be a more dependable long range shooter than Oz. He will not outquick his defender, but he will capitalize on an open look or an open lane.

Obviously, key for a recruit expected to play point guard is an ability to run an offense, and call the right plays based on what the defense is showing. I am not enough of an X and O guy to be able to evalute that skill. He does assert leadership skills on the court.

I like what I saw of him.

In the first half of Saturday's doubleheader, I saw Noah Levine (Princeton) and Evan Harris (Harvard). I will post my comments on the recruiting board.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.338 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:48 AM