Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Hartford 73 Cornell 71 Final        (Topic#1814)
thesource 

Reg: 04-19-05
11-26-05 08:08 PM - Post#11061    

After coming back from 18 down in the 2nd half, Cornell loses a tough one to Hartford.

charcoal 
Junior

Loc: Dallas
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Hartford 73 Cornell 71 Final
11-26-05 11:50 PM - Post#11062    
    In response to thesource

a bad loss--senior leadership needs to step up

thesource 

11-27-05 12:07 AM - Post#11063    
    In response to charcoal

Or step back and stop forcing things. Too many turnovers and bricks from the upperclassmen. The young backcourt is where the talent is.

Bob S. 

Loc: New York
Reg: 11-26-04
11-27-05 01:54 AM - Post#11064    
    In response to thesource

Have to agree. Lenny Collins needs to step up and rebounding so far is subpar from the other frontliners.

Ivy League Hoops 
goober

Reg: 11-22-05
11-27-05 05:53 PM - Post#11065    
    In response to Bob S.

A few first hand observations...

Cornell appeared very bored and did not wake up until late in the game. The team just looked so lethargic compared to the games at the Carrier Dome and at Penn State (I did not see the Colgate game). The atmosphere did not help at all. Mid-day game during Thanksgiving weekend with maybe 100 people attending the game.

Yes, Cornell lost to a team they should have killed. But it was only a two point loss, and if the game were 30 seconds longer, Cornell would have completed an incredible come back on the road. You take the loss, learn from it and move on.

Couple of factors, besides lethargy, played into Cornell's poor performance yesterday.

First, I think Kenny Adeleke killed Cornell's 1-3-1 zone. Adam Gore played the 1 spot underneath the basket, behind the center. Often Hartford lofted the ball over the zone (and Naeve's head) only to hit Adeleke with the ball inside the paint against a mismatched Gore. This probably occurred on at least five incidence resulting in ten points. I am not sure why Cornell did not switch to the 2-3 in order to counter the lob passing inside.

Also, Ryan Rourke got 4 quick fouls. After picking up his fourth, he never returned to the game. Cornell must have played the last 10 minutes without him. Odd decision by Donahue. Also, Jason Hartford had his hand in a tape cast and took a nasty shot to the same arm early-on. He was visibly in pain all game and missed several point blank lay-ups, presumably due to the pain in his arm.

This was definitely the worst called game for Cornell this year. Refs allowed U of Hartford to play dirty and did not call many obvious fouls. In fact, the final shot of the game should have resulted in free throws for Cornell. But the refs did not want to "decide the game."

A few Univ. of Hartford alums mentioned that this was about as good of a game as Hartford ever played. At the same time, this was the weakest performance Cornell put forth all season. I would not be too worried about Cornell if I was a fan of the Big Red. They will give a better performance next time around.

The Least Valuable Player of the Day goes to Andrew Naeve for some terrible shot selection, often taking shots well out of his range and subpar defense. He needs to bring more to the table against Lafayette. MVP is a tie between Khaliq Gant and Adam Gore.

Gore is without a doubt the best newcomer I've seen in a long while for Cornell. As for Mr. Gant, it was his best game thus far in Division I.

thesource 

11-27-05 09:27 PM - Post#11066    
    In response to Ivy League Hoops

Good observations. I think Jason Hartford actually has a fractured arm, and was supposed to be out 3-4 weeks, but decided to tough it out and play.

There also has to be some concern about Rourke's play. It's been very inconsistant so far. Gore has been great, and Gant looks like he's ready to start fulfilling his potential.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.156 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:58 AM