Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Lion Frosh        (Topic#183)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
12-08-04 02:26 PM - Post#849    

Wow, I'm impressed with Columbia's performance thus far. If not for a close loss to Stony Brook -- a game I probably expected them to win, actually -- CU would be 5-0. When has ever THAT happened?

I'm intrigued by your Frosh, and am looking forward to seeing Nwachukwu and Montgomery. I understand Ben is still very raw offensively, but how's he looking on the boards and defensively? Also, is Montgomery the real deal?

Any reviews on Sweet and Loscalzo are appreciated too.

Future is looking bright at CU. I have to head up a few blocks and catch a game soon.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

columbia92 
goober
columbia92
Loc: NYC
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Lion Frosh
12-08-04 06:05 PM - Post#850    
    In response to Bruno

Montgomery, save for this Monday's performance, has been the real deal offensively. Both Sweet and Loscalzo have been very good at handling the ball and getting the ball to the open man. It's been a while since the Lions have had this kind of dependability in the backcourt, at least in protecting and distributing the ball.

Nwachukwu is a project offensively, and it doesn't help his development that he's a back-to-the-basket player, and that's been Preston's strength for 2 years running. It's hard to run a double-post offense. Like all frosh big men, he's been quick to turn the ball over and commit ticky-tack fouls, but his skills are evident on the glass (he can box out very well - perhaps better than anyone on the team) and he will get better defensively. The change from HS pivot to Mid-Major D1 pivot is very big.

Montgomery has a handle, and a very quick first step. He's strong following up on the offensive glass, and doesn't force shots that aren't there. I've been impressed.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
12-08-04 07:08 PM - Post#851    
    In response to columbia92

Agreed that there's an enormous difference between the HS and D1 pivots. We learned that with Sam Manhanga last year - and are still learning.

Look forward to four years of battles between these the Lions' and Bears' class.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
12-08-04 10:01 PM - Post#852    
    In response to Bruno

You are a bear of your word, Bruno.

As I only have seen the LIU game so far, I don't want to pretend to more knowledge than I have. Mack clearly had a bad game when I saw him, and apparently Kashif wasn't really playing his best either.

That said, I was most impressed with Loscalzo in that game. The kid plays tough, challenging passes and getting in people's faces.

I think that defensively, Sweet and Loscalzo compliment each other well. Kashif will matchup with small quick guards, while Brett will play the bigger, more physical guys.

Personally, I'm also amazed at how much like a clean shaven Mo Murphy Kashif looks from a distance. Maybe this will change if I meet him face to face, but put this kid in baggier shorts and... wow!

The five games the lions have before new-years will be big. I am looking forward to seeing them play competition thats a few steps above the people they have been beating. The baby bears have already had the opportunity to play against some of the better teams in the country: I want to see how the Lion cubs react

Anonymous 

12-09-04 02:08 AM - Post#853    
    In response to Bruno

Agree with what's been posted. Am very much looking forward to see what Baumann can do once he returns from injury in January. He might be the best of the bunch. He can rebound and score, but don't know how close or far he is from being able to play D-1 defense.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.126 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:52 PM