Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Bryant        (Topic#18403)
OneIvyOne 
Junior

Loc: West
Reg: 08-28-13
11-25-15 02:28 PM - Post#195941    

It looks like Bryant has shown more offense than defense coming into this game.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 01-06-11
Re: Bryant
11-26-15 12:53 AM - Post#196035    
    In response to OneIvyOne

...And that offense didn't show up this evening.

Wow, are our guys finally getting untracked, or is this one a fluke? And Coach TA emptied the bench, with Patrick Steeves getting the most minutes in his 4 seasons at Harvard, going 2/3 from distance.

What's everyone's take on this game?

CrimsonWest 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-17-11
11-26-15 11:02 AM - Post#196056    
    In response to H78

I am usually not a numbers guy. The eye test tells me this was a very well played game. This team really needed it as well. They looked like they were playing loose but focused. McCarthy distributed the ball well and shot it well. This game also provided the opportunity to see players deeper on the bench. The team seemed to rally around Pat Steeves' success on the court. Hopefully they will build on this win and take care of Holy Cross and Northeastern. They may need that momentum going into Kansas. Nice win boys!

OneIvyOne 
Junior

Loc: West
Reg: 08-28-13
11-26-15 11:14 PM - Post#196088    
    In response to CrimsonWest

I though Harvard made the opponent look weaker than they really are with good defense and shooting well. Matched up well vs Bryant. See if it can continue.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
11-27-15 10:44 PM - Post#196112    
    In response to OneIvyOne

About to fire up Harvard-UMass, but before I do, some thoughts on Harvard from the Bryant game.

The offense is still struggling. Yes the offensive efficiency against Bryant was strong, but if you take out the above average 3pt output and the wide open dunks from a lack of effort in transition on the part of the Bulldogs, this was still about a point per poss, which isn't anything impressive. And that's primarily because the TO Rate is still too high and the FT shooting is still plain bad.

Much of the offensive problem is that Tommy McCarthy can't run the late shot clock iso play. Harvard would be better off setting up a play for a different type of shot (double screen to spring Corey for a shot; force the ball into Z to try to get to the line or get a bucket). The high screen and roll just isn't working with TMac running the show. TMac has so many other skills - he's a good passer and a good shooter - but he just can't break down Division I defenders off the dribble. Amaker needs to accept that and build an offense around what he can do.

Defensively, this team is very strong when fresh. They get sloppy in rotation when tired - something that should be helped if Harvard can go net positive on rotation players when Chatty gets over his ankle issues and Hunter Myers can return in January. No guarantee Harvard won't lose someone else to injury to put further stress on minutes, in which case the late-game defensive breakdowns could become a theme this year.

I think Harvard's Pomeroy rating right now is pretty fair with some upside potential if they can make some FTs and stop turning the ball over. I think they will improve in both areas and still could sneak into the Top 150 at some point.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.216 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:37 PM