Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Rising Tide        (Topic#18532)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-05-16 10:37 PM - Post#203559    
    In response to Chip Bayers

There was some weird ILDN stuff going on with Yale/Columbia. The feed was fuzzy and freezing on my laptop, so I tried to log in on my tablet and the schedule said "audio only," the icon for "watch now" having disappeared mysteriously. I just had to keep reloading the tab on my laptop and it never ran smoothly all the way to the end.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-06-16 10:29 PM - Post#203642    
    In response to SRP

Anyone know if Harvard (14-16) is eligible for the CIT?
If so, wonder whether school/team would accept offer.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-06-16 11:00 PM - Post#203645    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

No. But the CBI and Vegas tourneys would accept such a team. If Harvard were to get a bid, there'd be a decision to make - this team is really banged up... Maybe too banged up to continue.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
03-07-16 12:15 AM - Post#203653    
    In response to Stuart Suss

Really brillant. Fortunately, they've recovered their senses and put the Penn-Princeton women's game on ESPN3.

Just another reminder to the tournament proponents: these are the people you're counting on to make it successful.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

20Penn14 
Senior

Reg: 02-26-12
03-07-16 11:36 AM - Post#203670    
    In response to dperry

For everyone who is curious, Charlie Creme (ESPNs WBBALL Bracketologist) currently has Princeton getting an at large and an 11 seed and Penn getting a 13 seed with the autobid

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Rising Tide
03-07-16 12:47 PM - Post#203677    
    In response to mrjames

Thanks Mike.

Yes, I noticed Egi joined McCarthy as recent concussion sufferers. Also, it appears that after the first Cornell game - and even after his return - Zena seemed more 'grounded.' Assumed there must be a lingering injury. I also understand Agunwa had the flu last week - which drew concern because of the current cases of Mumps.

CIT might have been worth it. I don't see CBI or Vegas, unless Vegas is a stop on the way to November's opener in China vs. Stanford!

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 03-07-16 12:47 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-07-16 01:01 PM - Post#203679    
    In response to mrjames

Didn't play very banged up Friday night

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

03-07-16 01:16 PM - Post#203680    
    In response to Tiger69

That game was very much a chess match. I noted that Princeton (correctly) applied full court pressure virtually all game. McCarthy - coming off missed weekend due to concussion - didn't start, but thankfully was able to spot Corbin Miller. To deal with the press, Amaker had Patrick Steeves bring the ball up court against Cook/Caruso. With about five minutes late in the game, Mitch Henderson slipped another guard (Rayner) into the game and he immediately pressed Steves, change in strategy had some success.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Bizarre
03-07-16 06:37 PM - Post#203705    
    In response to 20Penn14

• 20Penn14 Said:
For everyone who is curious, Charlie Creme (ESPNs WBBALL Bracketologist) currently has Princeton getting an at large and an 11 seed and Penn getting a 13 seed with the autobid

OK, I respect this guy's record, and I accept that he probably has a pretty good insight into what the committee is thinking.

That being said, if the committee is really thinking it, it makes. Absolutely. No. Sense:

1.) To begin with, if they really think Princeton is two seeds better, why aren't they the autobid? After all, all the computer rankings I can find are predicting the Tigers to win by 10 to 13 points. The only reason I can see for this is if you think that Penn matches up phenomenally well with them, and given recent history there's no overwhelming evidence to back that up.
2.) OK, I assume that the women's committee uses similar criteria to the ones mentioned here. (If this is not the case, please correct me.) Let's go through the criteria.

1.) Quality wins: Princeton has one win against the top 50 (Duquesne); Penn has two (Princeton, Colo. St.) Against teams predicted by Creme to be in the tournament or among the first eight out, Princeton is 1-3; Penn is 4-2.
2.) Record against better teams. Against top 25 in RPI: Pr 1-1, Pa 0-0. Against top 50 in RPI: Pr 1-3, Pa 2-1. Top 100? Pr 4-4, Pa 6-2.
3.) Bad losses: to teams below 100, Pr 0, Pa 2 (St. Joe's, Cr). Neither lost to anyone below 200.
4.) SOS: Pa 124, Pr 137. Since they have exactly the same conference schedule, by definition Penn also has a better NCSOS.
5.) Record not at home: Pr 10-4, Pa 10-3
6.) Injuries and roster: Ok, Pr has a deeper roster; I doubt Brzozowski potentially being hurt has much effect on the deliberations here.

OK, so if you want to give Princeton credit for playing a couple of top-20 teams and beating one of them, and you take demerits off Penn for losing to a couple of so-so teams, it's not unreasonable to say that Princeton's had a better year up to this point. But two seeds better, after Penn hypothetically has beaten them twice? I just don't get it. If the committee really is thinking this way, I can only conclude that they're still thinking about last year, either how well Princeton did, or how badly they jobbed them, I don't know which.
David Perry
Penn '92

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
03-07-16 08:42 PM - Post#203711    
    In response to dperry

I would guess Penn is currently the 'autobid' based on its H2H win. (Other projectors use RPI as tiebreaker, but Princeton is now ahead there.) These brackets are almost always 'as of today', so they aren't factoring in a potential Penn win at Jadwin.

Princeton is 40 spots ahead of Penn in the computer rankings, which probably explains the seed difference (either using them directly or looking at similar inputs like margin of victory).

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-07-16 09:05 PM - Post#203715    
    In response to whitakk

But allegedly this is a prediction of what the committee will do, and allegedly the committee doesn't use computer rankings other than the RPI (not to mention that the computer rankings don't make a lot more sense comparing these teams either), and it is still difficult to explain how Princeton ends up two seeds ahead even if you don't take tomorrow into account.
David Perry
Penn '92

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-07-16 09:28 PM - Post#203717    
    In response to dperry

Given my experience with bracketologists, I think they're seeding in the moment (which, yes, makes no sense) rather than projecting outcomes. So, Penn gets the current tiebreak due to H2H to be the autobid, and Princeton has to fight for an at-large. I don't believe this is meant to make a prediction on what will happen tomorrow night (which, again, makes no sense at this point when there aren't a lot of permutations to consider).

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
03-07-16 11:35 PM - Post#203724    
    In response to dperry

The men's committee has been vocal about incorporating advanced metrics, even if they're not the "official" rating system. I'd imagine the women's committee does so less (especially given last year!), but factors like scoring margin probably matter on the margin.

And this is only one person's guess at what the committee thinks, so who knows.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Re: Bizarre
03-07-16 11:40 PM - Post#203727    
    In response to dperry

Too much analysis.

IMHO, both teams got screwed in the seedings. But, given how badly Princeton was seeded last year when they went to the tournament undefeated and with several quality wins, this should be no surprise.

The women should, once again, be in the nightcap tomorrow.

JDP 
Masters Student

03-07-16 11:49 PM - Post#203729    
    In response to whitakk

What should one root for that will help the Ivies get 2 bids … other than benevolence from the committee?

There is very little actually – most of the important games have happened – regardless of what happens in Tuesday’s game, both team RPI (Princeton 32, Penn 36) are likely to only move +/- 3. And most of the teams in the 20-50 RPI zip code are done

The question is are the Ivy RPIs high enough RPIs to take a second spot away from a top six conference?

Of the projected two bid conferences, only the Big East is still left … root for St. John’s (RPI 51) over Creighton (RPI 121).

Conference USA has yet to start – it would be nice that UTEP (RPI 30) and Western Kentucky (RPI 37) lose early on their tournament.

Should not matter, but better that Ball State (RPI 57) or South Dakota (RPI 60) lose early.

Root for RPIs 51 and lower to win their conference (eliminates any 2 bid worries from another conference) – rest does not really matter – for the 1 bid conferences not sure any of this matter other than seedings, and the Ivies are already likely to be seeded ahead of most all these teams.

RPI Team Conference
16 BYU West Coast
25 Green Bay Horizon
31 UTEP Conference USA
35 James Madison Colonial
40 Arkansas St. Sun Belt
42 Ohio Mid-American
44 Colorado St. Mountain West
49 Albany (NY) America East
51 St. John's (NY) Big East
59 UC Riverside Big West
60 South Dakota St. Summit League
66 Army West Point Patriot
68 FGCU Atlantic Sun
76 Abilene Christian Southland
81 Quinnipiac Metro Atlantic
91 Missouri St. Missouri Valley
94 North Dakota Big Sky
107 New Mexico St. Western Athletic
128 Liberty Big South
155 Southern U. Southwestern
197 Sacred Heart Northeast
207 Hampton Mid-Eastern

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Rising Tide
03-07-16 11:53 PM - Post#203731    
    In response to mrjames

• Quote:
People will start to talk soon.

Mike was right that the chatter would come to support the idea of a "2 Bid Ivy" for the men's NCAA. Even after Princeton's loss to Harvard, SB Nation has this to say, after the "First Four Out" and "Next Four Out":

"Also considered (in order): Princeton, Virginia Tech, Georgia, Creighton, Georgia Tech, BYU, Alabama, LSU, Clemson."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/20 16/3/...

Of course at this point, I'd be happy with a solid thrashing of Penn State and a top 4 seed in the NIT.

Go Tigers!

Edited by TigerFan on 03-07-16 11:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
Rising Tide
03-09-16 05:34 PM - Post#203984    
    In response to Stuart Suss

• Stuart Suss Said:
Mike James reported on his podcast that the Ivy League office kept the games off ESPN3 to force fans to purchase the games from the Ivy League Digital Network.

Sounds about right from a group as short-sighted and out-of-touch-with-reality as they are. I'd love to know how much that money grab brought in. I guarantee it was under $1k...I hope it was worth it. Instead I was forced to silently curse Columbia through the horrible espn gamefeed.

I very much enjoyed canceling their crappy service earlier today.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Re: ising Tide
03-09-16 08:23 PM - Post#204003    
    In response to Quakers03

Likewise!!!

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.327 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:59 PM