Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Okolie        (Topic#18547)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-02-16 09:12 PM - Post#198387    

17 pts., 15 in the second half, in his 3rd game, after missing a year and a half with injury. Despite the record, Brown may surprise a few in League play.

Bearswin 
Freshman

Reg: 01-06-14
01-02-16 09:46 PM - Post#198395    
    In response to Old Bear

When the team scores in the 90's, some people are going to score. Unfortunately, no one is guarding right now. Hopefully Okolie is somewhere in the middle of the 0 he put up against the better defense of URI and the 17 today against a poor Maine team.

Hobbie is one of the nicest kids I know, but JR is 1 for his last 17. And the opposing player he is guarding is scoring at will.

I won't complain about effort as the kids played extremely hard against URI. But I find it funny Brown is always outplayed/out coached the last 5 minutes of each game.

Now we get to watch Martin force feed us a bunch of Daugherty. The kid scrambles, but too many TOs and missed shots.

After much excitement about the year. I think we will be lucky to win 4 games in league.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Okolie
01-04-16 09:25 PM - Post#198562    
    In response to Bearswin

I've been frustrated with the close losses to decent but ultimately weaker teams. But the story's not all bad.

I like how hard Brown has played, how they've come back on some teams, the points they've put up (despite Hobbie's recent mini-slump). But they've struggled to execute consistently down the stretch of these games, struggled to hold onto what looked like safe 2nd half leads (URI, Marist), and they do not seem to get stops. This team could be 7-6 instead of 4-9.

I like the emergence of Okolie (and to a lesser extent Triplett) to plug some of the hole Justin Massey left. I really like Jason Massey's contributions on offense. I like Tavon's penetration and the recent rise in his playmaking. And both Speith and Ced do what Speith and Ced do. Rock solid.

I had a look at the Kenpom stats and they would suggest that the issue is not really on offense. They only thing (statistically) they do poorly is offensive rebounding. I mean, they've scored over 80 points each of the last 4 games.

The stats also suggest that they aren't bad defensively. They only thing they do poorly (statistically) is force turnovers. They've also given up over 73 points each of the past 6 games, but a lot of that is tempo, which has been fast.

Really, I think it seems to be late game execution and getting stops. So I don't disagree with Bearswin on that.

There's also nobody on this team that takes over a game when they need a big bucket. Tavon is the closest we have to that. It's nice to have options, but I'm not sure who our go-to guy is to hit the big shot.

For what it's worth, while he can be a little out of control, I like what I see from Daugherty and think he's going to be really good.

I agree with Old Bear that we can beat any team in this league on a given night. But the big 3 of Cedric, Tavon and Speith have been playing together for 3 years now, and we haven't learned how to win. That's frustrating.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.229 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:34 AM