Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 5 « First<2345
Username Post: Penn        (Topic#18574)
Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
01-11-16 03:34 PM - Post#199291    
    In response to jadwin

• jadwin Said:
It seems like Quaker and Lion fans are far more prone to blame referees and others for losses than other Ivy League teams based on postings on this web site over the years.

Here are some of the gems from Princeton fans 2 years ago, using the exact same "we should have won anyway but" qualifiers

• Quote:
From where I was sitting, there were several horrible non calls on Penn down the stretch. Total homer reffing.

• Quote:
I thought it was fairly officiated (with 50/50 calls going both ways) until the final minute or so. That Barrett non-call was egregious and game-changing. Stan Van Gundy kept hammering at it as well.

• Quote:
I disagree Chip. Penn was fouling every trip down the court for a long stretch of the second half, while Penn was turning the ball over. There were several really outrageous non calls on Penn down the stretch.

• Quote:
There was nothing 50-50 about the non-call on Barrett's shot in the lane after his OR or the free peek Penn at Princeton's out of bounds play.

• Quote:
Equating a standard block/charge call with an obvious rake across Barrett's arm is silly. Van Gundy couldn't stop talking about it either ("Clearly missed that foul...obvious foul there...gotta call that foul...").

And yes, I realize that 99.9% fans will always deny getting any "home cooking" whatsoever and deny that any call had anything to do with any game's outcome, even if it's by a single basket.

And then this gem today a whole two years later:

• Quote:
He, and I, remember all too well going there at 12-2 two years ago. When an egregious no-call on a Will Barrett shot ended the game not one Penn poster refused to count the game as a win for the Quakers.

Maybe the reason it looks like these two fanbases complain more is because there are more of them actually involved in the conversation?

jadwin 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-14-15
01-11-16 03:56 PM - Post#199297    
    In response to Quakers03

Same standard should apply as to not using referee calls for losing a game for both Quaker and Tiger fans. In my opinion, it is wrong both ways and you have made a good point.

Any independent objective viewer of this website postings would see an excessive amount of whining by some Quaker and Lion fans not only for referee calls but for many other topics. It would probably require more disc space to attach all of the examples just over the past two years.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-11-16 04:35 PM - Post#199301    
    In response to Quakers03

Hey, I'm retired and currently sitting on my a** in Mexico. So, while perhaps pathetic, it is somewhat understandable that I waste perfectly good time posting to this board. But you, Quacker03, must have better things to do than entertain us old bucks with your methodical rants. Are you, by chance, an attorney?

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-11-16 09:27 PM - Post#199317    
    In response to Tiger69

Each and every one of Quaker03's quotations is obviously a defensive response by a Princeton fan to a Penn fan's claim of getting jobbed by the refs. They are all reactive. He is proving the point he attempts to refute very effectively.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-12-16 12:13 AM - Post#199342    
    In response to SRP

I say, everybody have a beer. This is, after all, a kid's game.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-12-16 12:39 AM - Post#199345    
    In response to Tiger69

I guess for you water's not an option given where you're now living. Enjoy finding las cuchrachas in your bed as you get confused when watching Les Tigres playing futbol.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
01-13-16 12:14 AM - Post#199426    
    In response to TigerFan

• TigerFan Said:
And I always enjoy the failing plumbing, peeling paint, and funky smells of your "cathedral."

And you'd kill to have one just like it.

In fairness, I'd love to have a athletic facility like Jadwin, too. I just wouldn't play basketball in it.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
Penn
01-13-16 01:32 AM - Post#199427    
    In response to mmp629

• mmp629 Said:
My husband and I went to the Palestra (yay me!)and it is an amazing and fun place to watch a game. I have nothing to say about the officiating as I am a homer all the way. Anyway, this is the second game I have seen and I love the pace at which the team plays - so much fun as fan. Amir Bell was just unbelievable. Here are my questions: how much room do the coaches get in being on the playing floor during the game? Sometimes it seemed like the Penn coach was on the floor with the players. Second, how much time do teams get before they have to break from a huddle after a timeout? Can teams ever get a technical for taking too long? Go tigers!

Hi, MMP,

1.) Strictly, the coach is never supposed to be out of the box while play is in progress. The ref is supposed to warn him once, then call a technical. As you've probably noticed, this isn't enforced. I think the only times it actually gets called are when the coach gets in the way of the play, or is berating the officials or committing some other unsportsmanlike act. If you think that rule is tough, assistant coaches aren't allowed to stand at all during play except to briefly celebrate when good things happen for their team (this seems to be more adhered to.)

2.) The horn goes off 15 seconds before any timeout ends, and then a second time when it actually ends. Again, strictly speaking, the team should begin heading back into play immediately when the second horn goes off. The same applies at the beginning of any period (except that the horn only sounds once there.) Again, as you've probably noticed, they tend to string it out for a while longer. A technical can also be called for this; I'm a little confused as to whether a warning is required first or not. Personally, in light of the discussion on the Penn board about how long games take to finish, I think that if the team throwing the ball in takes too long to break from a timeout, the ref should just start the five-second count, and if the team defending the throw-in takes too long, the ref should just give the other team the ball and let them start.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Edited by dperry on 01-13-16 01:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Penn
01-13-16 09:50 AM - Post#199431    
    In response to dperry

Thank you dperry!

Page 5 of 5 « First<2345
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.288 seconds.   Total Queries: 18   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:53 AM