Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Howard        (Topic#18605)
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-16-16 04:33 PM - Post#199579    

Anyone know much about the game? I see Harvard won 69-61 but it looks like Howard was missing its high scorers.

From box score it appears Harvard started Dragovic, Perez, Steeves, Okolie and Miller and that Corey Johnson did not play. Also, 25 TO's - 8 by Steeves? No points by Okolie.

Seems like a strange box score.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-18-16 10:21 AM - Post#199654    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Anyone know of a way to see highlights or a replay of the Harvard vs Howard game?

I found about 10 minutes of festivities on youtube, but only about 36 seconds of game replay.

OneIvyOne 
Junior

Loc: West
Reg: 08-28-13
01-18-16 11:23 AM - Post#199660    

I have not been able to find anything either.

Corey was out sick, not injured or anything else.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-18-16 11:29 AM - Post#199662    
    In response to OneIvyOne

The little I saw suggests Burr Gymnasium is a tough gym for visiting teams. Howard was missing Daniels (28.5ppg) and Miller (15.0ppm) as well.

If Howard gets healthy, it could win the MEAC.

CrimsonWest 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-17-11
Re: Howard
01-19-16 12:54 PM - Post#199720    

Watched the stream from Howard, but can't find a way to rewatch it.
-Looks like TA did his annual shake up and started some different players before the Ivy grind.
-Too many turnovers. (28, ugh.)
-5 Players scored over 90% of the points. Not the balance we have seen lately.
-Solid rebounding and 3 pt shooting.
-H continues to play to the level of the competition, that needs to change as the league games start.
-Good momentum going into the rematch with Dartmouth

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-19-16 01:32 PM - Post#199724    
    In response to CrimsonWest

Thanks CW.

Too bad Howard doesn't even make highlights available.

Yes, Harvard seems to be a very successful 'counterpunch' team, able to run with BYU, Auburn, Kansas, Oklahoma. Problem seems to be that when opponent doesn't "punch" there is nothing to exploit in return. Sounds like Zena was more effective on inside out game in second half. Dartmouth fronted and pushed Zena all day. Without much of McCarthy, ball movement wasn't there for over the top or quick reverse passing.

Hey, did you see Mike James calling out the new ESPN recruiting rankings? #10 team with Lewis, Towns and Baker top 100 and, apparently, Bryce Aiken as 4th four star. WOW! Wonder how much my season tix are going to cost me next year?

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
01-19-16 04:00 PM - Post#199733    

Wouldn't worry too much about the TOs at Howard. The non-steal TO Rate was ridiculous (nearly 30% of possessions ended in an "unforced" TO - i.e. one that didn't end in a steal).

Non-Steal TO Rate is more under the purview of the offense than the defense, and Harvard has been trending at just north of 10% of possessions ending in a non-steal TO this season, so that performance was the outlier of outliers. Also, non-steal TOs aren't nearly as big of a deal as steal TOs, because the latter can lead to easy points on the other end. That's why, despite 25 TOs, Harvard only gave up six fast-break points.

I focus a lot on a metric that I call "Non-TO Efficiency." Essentially, it strips out turnovers and looks at the team's efficiency when it actually makes a scoring attempt. Since the beginning of December, Harvard is scoring (in D-I games) 1.34 points per non-TO possession. It has only given up that amount over the course of the game twice in that span (Northeastern - 1.35 and Oklahoma - 1.45). Unsurprisingly, it has won that battle in all but those two games since the start of December, as it's only yielding 1.17 points per non-TO possession.

That means, for an opponent to beat Harvard, it must force a turnover gap, and often a substantial one. That's a very good sign going forward.

CrimsonWest 
Sophomore

01-19-16 06:30 PM - Post#199744    
    In response to mrjames

Wow, thanks Mr. James for completely causing numbers to spin in my head. Bottom line, I like the direction H is going as well!

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-19-16 10:18 PM - Post#199753    
    In response to mrjames

Interesting stats.

It appears that since Vermont had success in employing a defensive strategy of doubling down on Zena, Harvard's offense has struggled somewhat against other teams that have adopted a similar approach. There is one big exception when Zena passes to Cummins quickly under the basket which has been wide open and very successful. It does not seem that the ball gets out to the three point shooters from Zena quick enough and you would think that someone must be open if the ball moves. I am sure that Coach Amaker is working on figuring it out as other Ivy League teams may use a similar strategy.

Will Sears or Miller/Brennan or Coby/Petrasek try to play Zena one on one with some minor assistance or will they double down? Other teams, other than Yale, may decide to double down until Harvard demonstrates that the other team will pay especially with 3 pointers plus it will help to keep other centers out of foul trouble. If a team decides to play Zena one on one, they will have a big challenge unless they decide to send him to the foul line.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-21-16 11:58 PM - Post#199909    
    In response to bradley

Finally, some highlights and commentary on Harvard vs Howard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCpqNvnL3Sc

Commentators note that 4 NBA scouts were at the game to watch Zena.

CrimsonWest 
Sophomore

01-22-16 08:45 AM - Post#199917    

Thanks for digging up that video. I found it interesting to compare that coverage and depth of analysis to what we get from ILDN. There is a huge difference. It would be nice to have the ILDN commentators spend a little more time and provide more analysis than just the clipped audio/video we get after games. It may be a budget issue, but I doubt it.

I was a;so impressed with the atmosphere in that gym. That place was rocking with dancers, cheerleaders, and the band. It will be good to get our students back as we get into Ivy play.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.19 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:50 AM