Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Dartmouth II        (Topic#18632)
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-23-16 10:14 AM - Post#199973    

If someone had told me that Patrick Steeves would be among the team leaders in points (2d), rebounds (3rd), assists (2d), and leading the team in 3pt%, I'd have braced for a long season. Instead, Steeves contributions have been, in IHO, the glue that has been integral, among other key factors, to Harvard's rise from the "middle tier" of this year's race into the thick of things.

Steeves will have eligibility remaining after he graduates this year as this is his first year on the court. However, as a Hotchkiss grad majoring in Applied Mathematics and reportedly with a 3.8+ GPA, expect Steeves to have attractive offers off the court as well.

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
01-23-16 02:16 PM - Post#199981    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Steeves killed us. Hoping he doesn't have a repeat performance today.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-24-16 12:49 AM - Post#200060    
    In response to hoopla

Second year in a row - Malik Gill turned the tide in the final third of the game.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-24-16 09:20 AM - Post#200068    

Post-Mortem observations:
- Inside-out game? Zena was doubled, but I didn't see Cummins get the easy dishes he usually does nor did the guards get any spot up three's over the final 15 minutes.
- When a player literally turns his back and pushes into Zena - while Zena has the ball! - is that not a foul? There is no attempt to play the basketball. This happened the entire game (both games).
- foul shooting
- Did Agunwa guard Miles Wright? Wright didn't make a single shot.
- Despite the temptation, as Wes experienced last year, if you post Malik Gill, don't put the ball on the ground. Also, don't try and dribble penetrate against him if you're 3 to 12 inches taller than he is.
- if Zena ran in to grab an offensive rebound and landed on Boudreaux, he would know him into the hospital, not just out of bounds, but at least a foul would be called. Even partisan Dartmouth announcers agreed on that one.
- Steeves is efficient and effective - when their is ball movement - not as much one on one.

Anyway, rough final 14 minutes in Hanover for the second year in a row. Onward and upward!

CrimsonWest 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-17-11
01-24-16 09:30 PM - Post#200105    

I went back and re watched the game. I agree with all of your points. Expanding on a couple:

- When Zena distributes the ball out of double teams, the offenses flows much better. Inside out. It seems like every time he got the ball, he put his head down and went to the hoop. Not always a terrible choice, but he missed bunnies and 80% of his foul shots. Too many empty possessions. When he moves the ball, the defense has to think twice about doubling and that creates more opportunities for him.

- 3 players (Z, Corbin, Agunwa) with over 80% of the points.
Like the Howard game, not enough balance.

- I am afraid we will see a lot of "hack-a-Z" going forward. Shooting 30% as a team is not going to cut it. Dartmouth made as many FTs as H attempted. Not a winning stat.

- Rebounding, a strength of the team, was lacking in this game. They were out rebounded 42-29.

I hope they figure it out this week!

CrimsonWest 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-17-11
01-25-16 09:58 AM - Post#200125    
    In response to CrimsonWest

I know Mr. James has stated that foul shooting woes can be chalked up to luck (I hope I am not misstating this). It seems the mean is regressing toward the performance in this case, not the other way around.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-25-16 10:13 AM - Post#200128    
    In response to CrimsonWest

Things are never as good, i.e. performance at Diamond Head Classic, or as bad, recent play by the Crimson. I would not be the least bit surprised if they get together next weekend when facing Cornell and Columbia. Harvard continues to play very good defense which always gives them a chance but they do have flaws on offense, i.e. foul shooting and turnovers. In addition, they have become so dependent on Zena although partially attributable to the lack of contribution by others.

The good news is that foul shooting will improve over recent performances in all likelihood as they have so many shots just barely rimming out but they will never be a good shooting team this year. Their offense is stagnant and Coach A has not figured it out yet.

I would never count them out. They obviously miss Chambers as their guard play is an issue.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.402 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:32 AM