Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn        (Topic#18672)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-31-16 12:28 AM - Post#200604    

Fun watch. Good shooting and no defense anywhere on either side of the ball. You don't see that many games with a combined 24 threes made. That's crazy and nobody could guard a lick.

It was a game that Cedric and Tavon just seemed to decide they wouldn't let Brown lose. Very happy for Ced to get a win and have such a big performance on the night where he was celebrated for his blocked shot milestone. And Tavon was exceptional getting into the lane, moving the ball and shooting stroking the three ball. That may have been the best all around game I've seen him play.

Give Mike credit for sticking with the lineup he did down the stretch who made it work. Okolie was in there, playing big minutes, which I'm sure didn't feel like an easy choice - playing a freshman who hasn't played a lot down the stretch of a tight game. They made plays tonight. (Although I will say I just about swallowed by gum when I saw him put Hobbie in for Daugherty with only a few minutes to go with a lead.)

Mike also tinkered with the lineup a lot all weekend. I like that we saw some Martin in the game, and that Mike is giving Okolie the PT. (and I had no problem with him going for the exclamation point dunk at the buzzer.)

I like Daugherty even more after tonight.

I thought the officiating was pretty bad and mostly in Brown's favor. The officials helped them tonight, and every questionable call seemed to go Brown's way.

All that said, Penn is among the worst offensive rebounding teams in the nation and had 14 tonight. (Brown isn't very good either and had 13). Brown once again had only three steals. In all it led to four more shots for Penn. and Penn was short handed. it's a game Brown doesn't win if Cedric and Tavon don't put the team on their backs and get the calls - and I was hoping it wouldn't have required that.

But they got it done in an entertaining game. We'll take it and let's see if helps them next week.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Edited by Bruno on 01-31-16 12:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bearswin 
Freshman

Reg: 01-06-14
01-31-16 01:40 AM - Post#200609    
    In response to Bruno

Much needed win.

I watched all four games tonight and there is a lot of talent in the league. This might be the only win for a while.

In a game with not much defense, I thought the 5 minutes that Martin and Haber played at the end of the 1st half saved the game. The team actually sustained the lead while the starters were in foul trouble. Their length caused some problems, especially against Jones who was 4 for 4 early from 3 but didn't score the rest of the game.

I thought Corey was horrible last night but played a great game tonight.
Until Triplet learns how to play team ball, he shouldn't be on the court.
Opposing coaches have caught up with Massey - although he still does some good things that don't show up in the box score.
Finally, Hobbie... I just don't know the infatuation of him by the coaching staff. Brown takes a 10 point lead in the 2nd half with him on the bench. As soon as he comes back in, Brown gives up back to back 3's and a lay up.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-31-16 02:14 AM - Post#200613    
    In response to Bearswin

Interestingly enough, Mike Martin stopped recruiting Max Rothschild to take Travis Fuller and Obi Okolie. That story is still unfolding but tonight it was Rothschild who was the better recruit.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-31-16 06:46 PM - Post#200667    
    In response to Bearswin

Suggesting that Hobbie doesn't have a role on this team goes way too far. He is a weapon, and one that like any weapon has to be deployed the right way. Is he a guy who is good enough to start in the Ivy? Of course. But on this team, and given the roster that's around him, he is better suited to the change-of-pace distance shooter than he is a guy who plays huge minutes and dominates the ball. His game isn't broad enough to play a broader role on this roster - he very well might be able to in other lineups. His defense isn't good enough and he doesn't create anything for others or for himself off the dribble. But at the same time he can also be the most dangerous player on the floor and can stretch a defense better than anyone because he can hit from anywhere.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.264 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:35 PM