Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: 1-3        (Topic#18677)
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-01-16 02:20 PM - Post#200727    

Although not favored to win the league, I know I was encouraged by Harvard's ability to go on runs, shoot three's and go inside to Zena. Efforts in Hawaii and against BU, Providence and Kansas suggested that - at times - this team could compete. I hoped that maybe there was a formula that could overcome Siyani's injury and ominously bad free throw shooting.

After four games, the results are disappointing, but not altogether surprising. Each game was winnable, with Harvard going on long runs and taking leads:

Columbia
14-0 and 29-9 to start the game
Up 54-53 and shooting 1&1 with 7.2 seconds left
Zena misses last 8 minutes and Evan in foul trouble

Cornell
10 pt run early in 1st quarter - Up 10-2
(1st half ends with 15-5 Cornell run with Zena on the bench)
22-4 to open second half
Up 65-64 with 3:30 remaining

Dartmouth II
14-2 to open second half
Up 40-29 after 28:20

Dartmouth I
19-4 run before/after halftime

Unfortunately, the difference between Harvard being 3-1 or even 4-0 seems to be the absence of an experienced ball handler at crunch time, free throw shooting, and, this weekend, a need to rest Zena for long stretches.

Free throws are particularly troublesome. Had Harvard matched Dartmouth (II) and Cornell from the line, Harvard wins. Had Harvard made any of its final three free throws (thereby triggering the second half of one and one's), it is not unlikely that it beats Columbia.

As Kevin Whitaker reports in NYC Buckets:
"For several seasons, Harvard has been the team that can’t lose close games. Whether it was overtime squeakers or playoff game-winners, the Crimson always seemed to come out on top, going 16-3 in Ivy games decided by five points or less from 2012-15. Columbia, meanwhile, was the league’s hard-luck team, going 5-17 in such games."

Law of averages? More likely missing Siyani.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-01-16 03:55 PM - Post#200735    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I guess this proves that FT shooting is not a stable coaching (or program) characteristic. Amaker's first good Ivy teams were superb at the foul line.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.169 seconds.   Total Queries: 21   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:31 AM