Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Harvard/Dartmouth Weekend        (Topic#18688)
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-04-16 10:58 PM - Post#200891    

Important games this weekend against two teams that have talent.

Harvard manhandled Columbia last weekend in the 1st half and had a 29-9 lead by being physical on defense and the boards. The Crimson lost their star center to injury for 6+ minutes that did not help their cause. Harvard played very poorly offensively with turnovers and missed shots in the 2nd half in addition to their normal poor foul shooting especially at the end of the game. Columbia played strong, effective defense in the 2nd half which Princeton should try to emulate for the entire game plus the Lions made some key plays at the end of the game.

Okolie is a star defender and will probably guard Caruso and take him out of his normal game just like he did against Lo last weekend. Princeton probably needs major offensive contributions from all of their guards in addition to Cook. May well be a very challenging game.

Will be interesting to see what happens between Columbia and Yale. I may place a small wager based on what I saw last weekend.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-05-16 07:25 PM - Post#200913    
    In response to bradley

This should be an interesting game. Harvard reeling, wanting to prevent an even longer losing streak and revive their season, PU absolutely needing this home game. The Tigers must put strong ball pressure on the Crimson backcourt, go for steals at opportune times, and maintain their stellar boxing out. Miller will have to push Edosomwan away from the basket as much as possible, and help will have to be ready to collapse on him if he does get it inside. Can't be too afraid of fouling these guys based on their FT struggles.

Princeton should look for opportunities to fast break, because Harvard's half-court D is good. In the half court, drivers should pay attention to the help defense coming their way and throw either backdoor or interior passes to Miller if the helper is Edosomwan coming over for the block. It would be great if Weisz and/or Cook could find his touch from beyond the arc. I'm not worried about Caruso, who will either find cracks in the defense or make the smart pass off to someone else. Bell and Cannady could have terrific offensive games against McCarthy and Johnson.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-05-16 08:05 PM - Post#200916    
    In response to SRP

Zena not playing

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
02-05-16 08:26 PM - Post#200924    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Well, this is a surprising start!

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-05-16 09:47 PM - Post#200932    
    In response to puband09

Harvard shoots free throws like they used our early games as instructional tapes.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Harvard/Dartmouth Weekend
02-05-16 09:50 PM - Post#200934    
    In response to puband09

We really lucked out with Zena being out. He's a game-changer against a size-challenged team like ours.

To our guys' credit, they came out of the gate with very aggressive defense (unlike the Yale game). Lots of pressure, some gambling for steals, hard double-teams and scrapping inside for rebounds. No conservative, foul-avoidance approach to defense tonight.

We need to play that way every night instead of playing it safe and relying on wild comebacks. We don't have size, but we have depth and a litany of impact perimeter players. Use all the fouls you need against opposing bigs. Make Brandon "30 for 30" Sherrod shoot FTs instead of FGs.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-05-16 10:48 PM - Post#200944    
    In response to gokinsmen

They followed the suggested game plan of ball pressure and getting out in transition and, yay, it worked. Much easier without Edosomwan, obviously, but that was some fine D and good rebounding on both ends. Caruso did everything and the ball was moving well. Except for that brief stretch adjusting to Harvard's zone, the Tigers looked dominant, which is a relief since I was worried about possible complacency against an aroused opponent.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-05-16 11:30 PM - Post#200947    
    In response to SRP

Big plus when Cook produces with both drives to the basket and 3 pt shots. He has the ability to be a significant offensive threat if he can shoot the 3. Weisz and Bell always sets him up. Cannady is simply a player with 3+ years in front of him. Miller can pass the ball but if he would only get more aggressive with offensive play -- maybe next year. So many open shots tonight with one extra pass.

Killer for Harvard not to have Zena but the Crimson offense is so stagnant and the turnovers are simply crazy. It just does not look like a Amaker team.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
02-06-16 12:43 AM - Post#200956    
    In response to bradley

Really fun game. Defensive pressure was terrific and offense looked really crisp in stretches. Harvard has some nice shooters but they were throwing the ball all over the gym.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-06-16 02:56 AM - Post#200958    
    In response to TigerFan

One sequence in the second half where they just tossed it away for no obvious reason three times in a row. Expect a much tougher contest in the return match.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
02-06-16 09:34 AM - Post#200971    
    In response to SRP

Exciting 3 minutes or so after H zoned its way into the game, cutting the lead to 10, 50-40. Caruso hit 2 huge 3's, Weisz and Cook each nailed one around 2 H FT's. Lead back in the comfort zone, 64-42. If we can make those shots on the road we beat anybody. Great news from New Haven: Sherrod missed!

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-06-16 12:24 PM - Post#200987    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

I agree that it was a fun game to watch. What I like about this team is that they have so many ways to score. The ball movement and spacing last night was the best I have seen this year, which was reflected in their 20+ assists. Treys, backdoors, and dribble penetration all were working and they also collected a lot of RBs on the offensive end. Miller and Brennan are not go-to guys but I like how they are very active and keep the defense honest so that they can't just cover the three-point line. But the biggest revelation for me was the defensive intensity and full-court pressure. I have to believe that if they bring that every night they will give Yale a run for its money this year.

I will be in Jadwin tonight to see the Dartmouth wunderkind and I hope our boys don't let down after Friday's dominating win against the defending Ivy champs.

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
02-06-16 02:26 PM - Post#200996    
    In response to Tiger81

Princeton is the best team in my mind

Projected to win by 15 vs Big Green tonight

How did Penn handle Princeton so well (til the very end) at the Palestra?

bradley 
PhD Student

02-06-16 03:33 PM - Post#201003    
    In response to Tiger81

It will be interesting to see how they guard Boudreaux who they will be facing over the next four years. He will be Ivy League Rookie of the Year in all likelihood. He has an inside and outside game and he does not hesitate to jump into defenders a la Rosenberg except he does not cry if he does not get every call.

Commentators last night were very complimentary as to Caruso as to being a team player with very good skills. Based on results y-t-d, very early, Sears is probably the one player who has made a greater contribution to his team.

Can not afford a letdown.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-06-16 07:20 PM - Post#201029    
    In response to hoopla

Penn Hasn't had much for the past few years. So, given their preferences, they save up and shoot their wad on one of the Princeton games.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.281 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:16 AM