Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: Cornell/Columbia        (Topic#18704)
JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
02-08-16 08:54 AM - Post#201151    

Weekend fallout reflected in KenPom ratings. Yale jumps to #57, Tigers rise three spots to #70, Columbia drops three to #118. Significantly, KenPom projects a one point Tiger win over the Lions Saturday, suggesting at the very least a nailbiter of the first order. A loss to the Lions narrows the Tigers' path to the title considerably, placing our destiny in someone else's hands. Winning out guarantees at least a playoff on a neutral court. Dillon Gym perhaps?

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Cornell/Columbia
02-08-16 11:52 AM - Post#201162    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

I suppose that's correct, but the way I see it, Yale has merely held serve by beating Columbia and Princeton at Yale. Losing at Columbia would mean Yale would still have to do something Princeton could not, beat Columbia at Levien.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-08-16 04:55 PM - Post#201192    
    In response to umbrellaman

The Tigers need to split this weekend, win their remaining home games and defeat Dartmouth and Harvard on the road. A sweep this weekend would put them in solid position. One or more of the top three will lose to one or more of the bottom 5 (and Harvard is going to make some noise if and when they get healthy--I have to believe that Harvard will get up for Yale the way Penn plays its best against Princeton). I think this race will go right down to the wire.

Go Tigers!

Edited by TigerFan on 02-08-16 04:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-08-16 10:37 PM - Post#201212    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

I agree with your assessment that the Columbia game this weekend makes the loser of the game face a severe uphill battle to win the Ivy Crown. The winner would still have to beat Yale at home which will not be an easy task and a win this weekend may only get you into a playoff with Yale. With Yale beating Columbia and Princeton at home, they are realistically and unfortunately in the driver's seat.

It would make good sense that Yale, Princeton and/or Columbia lose a game to one of the other 5 teams but it is a risky proposition to bank on Yale losing to one of those five teams. So far, Columbia has dodged two bullets and Princeton one. Maybe, it is time for Yale to face a significant challenge although they have pretty much dominated everyone although the Tigers gave them the stiffest test.

It should be a toss up game Saturday night at Levien with the winner probably having greater composure and determination. If Princeton plays well the rest of the way but does not win the Ivy Crown, is a NIT bid a possibility based on their win/lost record and KenPom rating? Let's hope that they win it all. It is hard to believe that the Tigers will be even stronger next year.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Cornell/Columbia
02-08-16 10:59 PM - Post#201214    
    In response to bradley

Forget the split. This is an absolute must-sweep weekend after the painful loss to Yale.

Momentum and confidence are so important in league play, and Yale is now in the driver's seat. Even at home, I see us as the clear underdog in the Yale rematch. It's obviously a tall order, but we need to stay undefeated outside of that game to have a chance at the title.

IvyBballFan 
Masters Student

Loc: Central Florida
Reg: 11-19-09
02-09-16 12:31 AM - Post#201218    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
It is hard to believe that the Tigers will be even stronger next year.

I don't know about this conclusion.

The top eight Tigers from this year's team (Caruso, Cannady, Weisz, Bell, Cook, Miller, Brennan, and Stephens) are back next year. Four will be seniors. Hopefully, add Brase to make a fifth quality senior.

Both Yale and Columbia graduate four senior starters. Harvard loses Okolie and Cummins, and probably Steeves, all of whom start.

Based on returnees, the Tigers appear to have a lot of potential to make a title run in 2016-17.

But enough. We've got plenty of unfinished business still to tend to this year.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-09-16 01:08 AM - Post#201219    
    In response to IvyBballFan

I don't think you get Harvard.

Harvard gets Siyani Chambers back plus the 10th ranked recruiting class in the nation.

Returning Siyani and Zena is starting with the best point guard and center in the league, some good shooters (Johnson, McCarthy and Miller), and the "Kentucky" of Ivy League incoming freshmen. Harvard opens the season in China against Stanford. Apparently the NCAA and the networks see what you are missing.

Having said that - Harvard and Princeton will be an exciting two team duel new year. Some are suggesting it could be a two bid year as both could be Top 50.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
02-09-16 07:50 AM - Post#201222    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Siyani is automatically the best point guard in the league?

Perhaps, but I personally like Bell just as much, and with Cannady to spell him or at times play along side him, I don't think we give anything away at that position.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-09-16 11:46 AM - Post#201225    

I have little doubt that Harvard has several excellent incoming freshmen next season. It also appears that Yale, based on ratings, has a very good incoming class. Harvard will have the benefit of Chambers and Zena vs. Yale only having Mason.

The Princeton/Harvard match up will be interesting as it will test the theory of pure young talent, if the ratings are reasonably correct, vs. experience. Although it is possible that both teams could get a NCAA bid, I doubt it unless the team that does not win the Ivy Crown has an excellent record against a strong non-conference schedule.

If Princeton has a strong season next year, I would not be totally surprised if Mitch takes another heading coaching job. If so, Brian Earl might be offered the Tiger head coach postion.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
02-09-16 05:29 PM - Post#201256    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
If Princeton has a strong season next year, I would not be totally surprised if Mitch takes another heading coaching job. If so, Brian Earl might be offered the Tiger head coach postion.

I would think the recent performances of Brennan, Johnson and Scott would diminish interest in Princeton grads as coaches.

On the other hand, Henderson's uptempo style might set him apart.

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
02-09-16 07:35 PM - Post#201262    
    In response to bradley

We were TOLD that, unlike previous hires, MH had some staying power. I guess dolla makes you holla tho.

I hear David Blatt is available.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-09-16 07:47 PM - Post#201263    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Siyani was pre-season All Ivy.

I've seen every team play (all but Yale and Brown in person) and do believe that Siyani would be First Team All Ivy. There are some fine shooting guards and I don't mean to slight anyone, but I haven't seen any PG's I'd swap him for. He's a proven winner but it would be up to Harvard's performance to influence voting. On that point, I believe Harvard could be 5-1 or 6-0 if Siyani, Zena and Evan were healthy. My view on that has already been explained elsewhere.

Regardless, they are not healthy and Harvard is 1-5, which is why we were talking about next year!

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 02-09-16 07:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-09-16 08:29 PM - Post#201264    

harvard, with all its incoming talent, plus Chambers, returning from a year off, will have a lot of work to do to assemble all the parts of a potentially strong team. Who knows how long that will take? And, what guarantees are there that Chambers will be fully recovered or won't be a little rusty after a year off? It may take a good part of next season before Amaker has a smoothly functioning unit.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
Cornell/Columbia
02-09-16 08:42 PM - Post#201265    
    In response to Tiger69

So we've managed to turn a thread about PU and its upcoming weekend versus the C's into a thread about Harvard next year, because it's, you know, always about Harvard, even when you may think it's not.

Edited by sparman on 02-09-16 08:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-09-16 08:48 PM - Post#201266    
    In response to sparman

Hey, it's all I have left!

See you next year ....

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Cornell/Columbia
02-09-16 09:22 PM - Post#201267    

Best PG this year, I'd say Bell and Blackmon, but it's still too early.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-09-16 10:49 PM - Post#201272    
    In response to Old Bear

Getting back to the Cs this weekend, a sweep is both doable and hugely important. I don't think the Lions can hold up that well in man defense against the Tigers, especially Rosenberg but also at a couple of other spots. Attacking on D and speeding up the game will also help get Columbia out of its comfort zone.

Inattention against Cornell could be costly, but this year's addition of the team has been really good about winning the games they're supposed to. Unlike past PU teams, this one doesn't mind playing more briskly, so Big Red pressure shouldn't be too big of a deal.

thelaird 
Freshman
thelaird
Reg: 12-08-15
02-10-16 01:47 AM - Post#201282    

Hey Harvaaard... We can read and respond to your posts after March all the way till next November... what about the upstate C game, I think this team won't do the "look ahead" dance that has happened in the past. I really think Mitch has got a team of his choosing that has fully bought into his program.
As the the old Raiders ( a team which I actually hate being a Steelers fan) used to say, "just win, baby".

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
02-10-16 12:25 PM - Post#201290    
    In response to thelaird

The Tigers can't win the title this weekend, but they can lose it. Same goes for Columbia. We've played some good games against the Lions in NYC under Mitch. We need another this week, for sure. I just can't get over how well Cannady and Stephens have fit into this team. The Tigers' record right now is what it projected to be when the schedule was announced. The surprises, to me, have occurred in four of the wins. Penn and Liberty much closer than I assumed, Bucknell and Lafayette unexpected blowouts.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-10-16 01:00 PM - Post#201292    
    In response to Old Bear

I'm not sure how we can leave Makai Mason off this list. To me, he's pretty clearly been the best point guard in the league this year. He's a lot more likely to be first team all-Ivy than either Blackmon or Bell.

I'd take whoever you want to call the point guard for Columbia too, though Lo and Mullins operate in more of a combo guard kind of way. They don't matter for discussing next year, of course.

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.188 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:38 AM