Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Cornell/Columbia        (Topic#18704)
Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-10-16 03:46 PM - Post#201298    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

If Princeton takes charge this weekend and beats both the Cs with authority, I'll feel that they have what's necessary to take Yale to the wire. But, even a single loss will be further indication that, while they are a solid team, they don't have the fire to win critical games and will be destined for a 2nd or 3rd place finish. Spencer, Amir and Steve all have to show up. Henry Caruso is a given.

thelaird 
Freshman
thelaird
Reg: 12-08-15
02-10-16 11:56 PM - Post#201316    
    In response to Tiger69

Simple game plan, hit'em with 3s early, then kill'em with the back door for a bit, back to the 3's......then lather/rinse/repeat.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-11-16 02:27 AM - Post#201322    
    In response to thelaird

Threes are great -- when they're falling. Which seems to be a lot more frequently in Jadwin than elsewhere.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
02-11-16 09:46 AM - Post#201326    
    In response to Tiger69

If Hatter plays this weekend the Big Red will need two basketballs, one for Hatter, one for Morgan. I think the Tigers have too many weapons to deploy against Cornell. I think we can match them in an up-tempo track meet and I think we can control the boards. Should be a high scoring affair but the Tigers win by 10+.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-11-16 10:36 AM - Post#201329    
    In response to Tiger69

3 pointers might decide the game if either Columbia or the Tigers shoot lights out or throw bricks. More likely scenario might be which team has more scoring runs or one team goes on an extended scoring streak. With evenly matched teams, there always seems to be an ebb and flow to the game -- odds should be somewhere between 1 to 2 pt line.

I remember last week some Lion fans were talking about a 10+ pt victory on the road at New Haven which was crazy talk for a road team against a good team. It is definitely a plus to be at home especially with a team comprised of senior leadership. The question is will the Princeton juniors step up and take the next step in their development --- Weisz, Caruso, Cook and Miller. We will find out on Saturday night.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-11-16 11:39 AM - Post#201334    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

I'm not sure that it was entirely coincidental that Cornell played a lot better when Hatter was out. I'm not saying that Hatter isn't a good player -- he's phenomenal in a number of ways. I just think that they haven't quite figured out how to utilize Hatter and Morgan simultaneously in a way that makes the team an effective, cohesive whole.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-11-16 11:46 AM - Post#201335    
    In response to Tiger69

While a loss would definitely hurt, as Princeton would lose control of its own destiny (assuming Yale can sweep this weekend), I don't think it would be the end of the world. Yale will also have a lot of trouble playing at Columbia. So I think the odds are that Princeton will be there at the end if they lose at Columbia but then win out.

thelaird 
Freshman
thelaird
02-12-16 01:03 AM - Post#201385    
    In response to SomeGuy

One game at a time, remember what happened last year upstate. That's the challenge of the Ivy League, back to back games on long road trips. Let's see how Mitch prepares them for perhaps the toughest of the bunch.

Although, with this deep of a "bench" (starters on a lot of teams) they have an excellent shot of a sweep.

I predict another Amir breakout game in one of the two. With a lot of assists for the rest of the points from everyone. Cannedy will get his 10+ in each game.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-12-16 11:51 AM - Post#201392    
    In response to thelaird

Stephen Cook finally stepped up offensively last weekend and received co-share of Ivy League player of the week award. If he can hit some 3 pointers in addition to driving to the basket, he gives the Tigers one additional scoring option that creates all kind of problems for the other team. Cook's defense has been borderline shutdown. Cook, Caruso, Bell and Cannady have shown the ability to play against the Miami and Maryland of the basketball world based on their athletic ability and skill sets.

I believe that the Tigers have lost all five games when Miller does not control the opening tap and in the 14 wins, he almost always controls the tap so if you are tight for time this weekend, you only need to watch the first two seconds.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-12-16 07:59 PM - Post#201422    
    In response to bradley

That was the dream first half I was looking for. Cornell's trap was not trapping the ball and the Tigers zipped it around to get a ton of great shots, making most of them. Very good defense overall with Cornell scoring a fair chunk of its points on circus shots.

Now let's see the focus stay there through the second stanza.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Cornell/Columbia
02-12-16 08:53 PM - Post#201424    
    In response to SRP

Nice TCB game (from start to finish this time). Our backcourt is completely set for the next 3 years, but we still need that impact big man inside. Don't need a scorer, just rim protection and rebounding. Hopefully, Brennan can blossom next season. Even Edosomwan didn't break out until his junior year.

Meanwhile, Dartmouth is doing what we should have against Yale -- send them to the line. Sears and Sherrod are just 4-10 there including a couple missed 1-and-1s. Yale probably storms back in the 2nd half for a comfy win, but MH needs to study this game tape. Disrupt their star bigs; turn them into a boring FT fest.

Now that Zena is back for Harvard, I'm hoping they can steal one from Yale tomorrow night.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-12-16 08:53 PM - Post#201425    
    In response to SRP

Game over 85-56. Yale down by 1 at half at Dartmouth.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-12-16 09:06 PM - Post#201427    
    In response to Tiger69

Those road games can be tricky, as Yale is showing so far. All the more reason to be happy for the five-star performance by Princeton at Ithaca, where many a Tiger team has stumbled in the past.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-12-16 09:48 PM - Post#201430    
    In response to SRP

Color guy for American Network, former coach, was very complimentary regarding the Tigers. He said that Tigers might have a chance for an at large NCAA bid if they do not win the Ivy Crown based on the teams that they have lost to and their overall record. Doubt it but a nice thought.

Coach Earl was pleased with shooting and defense. He mentioned that playing against Hatter was a plus as he jumps into players just like Rosenberg trying to get foul calls so it was good practice for tomorrow's night game.

It is hard for the starter's to get stats with so many blow outs this year although they will get a lot of action tomorrow night and next Friday -- Caruso 13 pts, 7rb, 2 steals and 2 assists in 23 minutes. Next year, Miller and Brennan will be stronger and Brase will be back which will give them additional flexibility in playing very good teams. Mitch should try to schedule a strong non-conference schedule as the Tigers will be able to compete.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Cornell/Columbia
02-12-16 09:53 PM - Post#201431    
    In response to SRP

Dartmouth runs out of gas as expected, but they had the right idea. Must win game tomorrow...and every game here on out. I think Harvard can pull the upset tomorrow (with Zena back), but Princeton-Columbia still feels like an elimination game for the loser.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Cornell/Columbia
02-12-16 10:02 PM - Post#201436    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
Mitch should try to schedule a strong non-conference schedule as the Tigers will be able to compete.

I love the schedule they put together this year. We built up a lot of confidence against weak/mediocre teams, but we still had our chances for good wins (St. Joe's, Stony Brook) and marquee wins (Miami, Maryland).

Two of those games (SJU, MIA) were right there for the taking -- just needed a little more interior presence. An older Brase and Brennan should boost our rebounding and rim protection next season.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Cornell/Columbia
02-12-16 11:19 PM - Post#201455    
    In response to gokinsmen

Can't ask the Tigers to play any better than they did tonight. Great shooting from 2,3, and foul line. Solid defense against some very dynamic scorers. Super tune up for tomorrow. Columbia struggled against Penn tonight--Rosenberg was oh for three from behind the arc and 2/6 from the line. Lions were 7/19 from free throw line--yech.

thelaird 
Freshman
thelaird
02-13-16 12:31 AM - Post#201458    
    In response to bradley

I liked your theory about the tip-off, but after tonight that theory bites the dust.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-13-16 08:06 AM - Post#201471    
    In response to thelaird

Another dominant win for Princeton. We have seen many blowouts this year; this group is aggressive and seems to know how to build and protect a lead. None of the starters played >25 mins so they should be fresh at Columbia tonight for the featured bout of the weekend.

The unconscious shooting in the first half put the game out of reach and those shots were the result of good ball movement and open looks. In the second half when the Tigers cooled off a bit they still played great D, rebounded well and extended their lead. Once again the top 8 guys were seamless with little drop-off when they played in different combinations; they have many options to score and are a lot of fun to watch.

They will need to bring their intensity again at Levien and the adrenaline should be flowing in what will probably be a tight game.

And tonight I am a Harvard fan too ..

Go Tigers!

bradley 
PhD Student

02-13-16 10:04 AM - Post#201479    
    In response to Tiger81

On a given night, you never know who will be hitting 3 pt shots but defense and rebounding should be the constant. The Tigers are playing much better defense and rebounding this year as they have made a commitment to D.

I am sure that both teams will be playing intense defense so ball movement and turnovers should be very important. One concern regarding 3 pointers is Petrasek as Miller and Brennan have been late getting to the circle in several prior games.

In post-game interview, Coach Henderson said that the Tigers will be ready with a twinkle in his eyes.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.607 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:54 PM