Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 5 1234>
Username Post: Yale        (Topic#18728)
Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-15-16 11:03 AM - Post#201797    

Might as well get started anticipating Friday's big game in Jadwin ...

This one will be a challenge on both ends of the court. Yale, like Princeton, has many ways to score. However, it seems that the Elis are more consistently dominant and that Princeton has had more games where it gets taken out of its offensive flow, treys won't fall, the assist rate plummets and they rely on attacking the basket. When Caruso, Cook and/or Bell are getting to the rim that has not hurt them, but against Columbia they had to cobble together a new formula to eke out a win.

I would love to see the Tigers come out strong, cut hard and move the ball, be physical and rebound, continue their recent defensive intensity, and take the game to Yale. Yale has had few games this year where they have not taken and held control, so we will likely need Princeton's best game of the year to come out on top.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Re: Yale
02-15-16 02:12 PM - Post#201806    
    In response to Tiger81

I would think that Cannady, Miller and Stephens are operating at much higher levels of confidence against >-ale this time.

Would also help a lot if Caruso and Weisz are shooting well from the start.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-15-16 03:51 PM - Post#201807    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

I like playing Yale on Friday this time. I think the Tigers have been crisper, sharper and more aggressive on Fridays than they have on Saturdays during league play so far this year.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-15-16 04:35 PM - Post#201809    
    In response to TigerFan

Yes, I definitely prefer to have the bigger test first. They can prep better for it. I'm pretty confident that the team won't take Brown too lightly no matter the outcome on Friday--they'll either want to make another step on the way to a title or want to take their frustrations out on another opponent.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-15-16 05:15 PM - Post#201811    
    In response to SRP

Yale's effectiveness on the offensive board may be the determining factor.

Columbia Alum 
Junior

Reg: 11-15-11
02-15-16 05:56 PM - Post#201815    
    In response to Old Bear

I think the only way Columbia has a shot this year is if Princeton wins, so rooting for you guys all the way! I think Princeton wins at the line, keep it an ugly game, get fouled and foul Sears and Sherrod, P's far better FT shooting and hopefully a little home advantage can help this go the right way.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-15-16 06:34 PM - Post#201818    
    In response to Old Bear

I watched the first half of the Yale/Harvard game as well as a replay of the Princeton/Yale. Bottom line is that Yale is really a very good team that plays defense, rebounds extremely well, very good passing especially Mason and Sears, good fg % based on shooting so close to the basket with Sears and Sherrod, and the ability to shoot 3s' with Mason, Montague and Victor. Only real weaknesses is foul shooting of Sherrod and Sears with a bench that is just ok at best.

Montague, a team captain, missed the games last weekend to personal reasons == will he back this weekend? Dallier played pretty good against both Dartmouth and Harvard as his replacement.

Princeton is going to have to probably play its best game of the year. Miller and Brennan, especially Brennan, need to play better defense against Sears and Bell has to stay out of foul trouble unlike the first game and take on Mason. To me, Mason is actually the key to stop as he can shoot, penetrate and make deadly passes. On offense, it seems like the best approach is to attack Yale and realize that some of your shots will be blocked by Sears and kick out the ball to 3 pt shooters when the opportunity presents.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-15-16 08:27 PM - Post#201828    
    In response to bradley

With Montague, Yale is better handling the ball and shooting. Without Montague, the taller Dallier, combined with Victor, Sherrod and Sears, present matchup problems against the second guard and/or smaller forward. Expect Yale to find and exploit that mismatch and crash the boards as well.

With Zena back, Harvard, at times, really made Yale work for inside shots, although Yale seemed to get enough key offensive rebounds. Justin Sears was really effective down low, but Sherrod was limited due to foul trouble.

If Yale is without Montague, I wonder if full court pressure might be the answer. Harvard doesn't have the personnel, but Princeton and Columbia should.

Yale is very physical, and ref's Saturday night seemed to be totally overwhelmed.

Calls were inconsistent and bewildering. Likely to be a factor in every Yale game. For instance, Okolie blocked a passing lane, tipped the ball ahead and was hip checked by Mason in the open court and knocked out of bounds, but there was no call. Immediately thereafter (like, within 10 seconds), two ticky tac fouls were called on Yale. Even Amaker lost it when Justin Sears caught a jump hook just off the front rim and no goaltending was called. It seemed like the refs decided that because the shooter had been fouled that there coudn't be a subsequent goaltending call. I never complain about the ref's, as calls even out, but this game was an exception simply because they were so so bad. I almost felt that HS ref's showed up and were overwhelmed by the speed and physicality.

Not blaming the loss on the refs. Yale deserved to win and is the better team. Just noting that my experience is that refereeing in League games this year - especially Saturday at Lavietes - has been abysmal.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
02-15-16 10:18 PM - Post#201841    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
Princeton is going to have to probably play its best game of the year. Miller and Brennan, especially Brennan, need to play better defense against Sears

My biggest fear is that Miller gets two quick fouls, and we then watch a parade of drives to the hoop around Brennan, who seems to struggle defending against the first step when out at the perimeter.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Yale
02-15-16 10:26 PM - Post#201846    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

MH should do exactly what Dartmouth did -- be aggressive with Sears and Sherrod from the start and FOUL them aplenty. As dominant as they've been, their FT%s remain poor and sending them to the line for boring, road game FTs could upset their rhythm. I want to see Sears and Sherrod with 1st half stats like: 2-4 FG, 3-6 FT. Not 6-8 FG, 1-2 FT.

Now, the reason Dartmouth lost was that they simply didn't have the firepower to hold onto their lead. Princeton, on the other hand, has plenty of depth and scoring. Caruso, Cannady, Bell, Weisz, Miller, Cook, even Stephens...we got options.

Brennan may have to take one for the team. Sub him earlier than usual and absorb a bunch of quick fouls early.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-16-16 06:59 AM - Post#201861    
    In response to gokinsmen

From the first game it seemed to me that Yale's Achilles heel of TOs was the best target for the Tiger defense. Playing them straight up with sound position defense still led to a high shooting percentage, so heavy ball pressure and some gambling for interceptions and steals might be the way to go. Fouling their big guys is also a sensible idea when in doubt, but you have to hit them hard enough to prevent the and-one.

Yale plays good defense, but unless PU has a cold shooting night they should have passable offensive efficiency. They got plenty of good shots the first time around and have too many weapons off the pass and the dribble for Yale to contain.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
02-16-16 08:02 AM - Post#201862    
    In response to SRP

Assuming we choose to foul the big >-alies liberally, possibly Miller and Brennan acquire two fouls early in the first half. Who guards Sears? I don't see Bramlage. Perhaps Jackson Forbes? Weisz?

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
02-16-16 08:21 AM - Post#201863    

Coach Henderson considers Myles Stephens to be one of the team's best defenders. He would be giving up a lot of size but he is a physical player and that might be a way to give Sears a different look.

When the Tigers have the ball I have to believe that Yale is going to play up on Caruso, Weisz and Cannady. Henry, Spencer and Devin all see the court well and move the ball, which should create openings for Cook, Bell or maybe even Myles to do some damage.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Yale
02-16-16 09:07 AM - Post#201864    

If our bigs get in foul trouble, then they can back off for a bit. But the fouls don't have to come from Miller and Brennan. They can come from our deep guard/wing rotation via double-teams.

Last game, even when they helped off their man to double Sears and Sherrod, it was half-hearted and late. Instead of forcing FTs or TOs, it just led to a slightly harder layup or a wide-open 3. I want to see help arrive quickly and decisively -- gamble for the strip or force 2FTs as SRP said.

Not too worried about our offense, especially with Caruso having a freak off-night against Columbia. His insane %s dictate that he'll regain his stroke against Yale. Cannady has to be brimming with confidence as well. I do think Bell should get to attack the basket more -- not only to get FTs but to get Sears/Sherrod in foul trouble.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-16-16 09:55 AM - Post#201865    
    In response to SRP

Amir Bell must do a great job of staying in front of Makai Mason as Mason has a very deceiving first step. Once he gets partially by a defender and another defensive player starts to help out, he gets off a very quick and accurate pass to Sherrod or Sears for a lay up. If Bell gets into foul trouble, I would go with Cook and then Cannady to try to slowdown Mason.

As to Sears and Sherrod, Miller/Brennan and Caruso let them set up to close to the basket in New Haven. Caruso has a definite size disadvantage with Sherrod and he needs to front him vs. playing behind him. Miller has the wing span to guard Sears with the exception of Sear's deadly jump hook so he should play on the side of Sears vs. behind him and try to deny him the ball. If you give Miller help, Sears will kick it out to Victor, Montague, or Mason who are all good 3 pt shooters. I hope that Coach tries to play one on one defense as much as possible with limited help or some zone defense.

Just simply can not let Mason drive to the hoop as he can pass and score. Harvard let Mason go to the hoop and they paid. Surprisingly, Sears scored on Edosowan so I think that the Tigers will have to give up points to Sears along the way.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
02-16-16 09:57 AM - Post#201866    
    In response to gokinsmen

Since we must double on Sears we will open someone on the perimeter. If we can give them the shot WE want them to take let's take our chances. That means the shooter better not be Mason or Sherrod in close. If they shoot 40% from the arc at Jadwin just tip your hat and hope for an NIT bid. Bell needs to stay out of foul trouble and get to the basket. Weisz, Caruso and Cook all but disappeared Saturday. We can survive without one of them vs. Yale, but not two. Cannady ought to get some more minutes.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
02-16-16 11:02 AM - Post#201872    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

Interesting data for numbers crunchers: KenPom ratings place Yale at 51, Tigers at 58, probably due to Tiger loss in New Haven. Pomeroy gives Yale about 1 chance in 3 to win Friday

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-16-16 12:19 PM - Post#201878    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

I say run them til their tongues are hanging down to their knees and press them on defense. What's a deep bench for?

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
02-16-16 12:34 PM - Post#201880    
    In response to Tiger69

Some Yale game notes from the Princeton web site ...

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?...

This write-up confirms that Princeton will need to tighten up its D so that Mason and co. don't bury the Tigers under another avalanche of trifectas at Jadwin. The good news is that the Elis' FG% on the road so far this year has not been stellar.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-16-16 08:17 PM - Post#201911    
    In response to Tiger81

I'd love to see the Tigers throw a mix of defenses at Yale, including a 3/4 court trapping zone, half court 1-3-1, box and one on Sears and man. Keep 'em off balance and guessing about what's coming next.

Page 1 of 5 1234>
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.248 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:49 PM