Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Second thoughts?        (Topic#18740)
Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-20-16 01:19 AM - Post#202146    

I wonder if any of that large group of three and four star bball recruits is looking at this year's Cantabs and wondering if it is too late to change his mind.

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
02-20-16 08:34 AM - Post#202152    
    In response to Tiger69

Biggest win of the season and you venture to troll rather than celebrate your team's accomplishments? Sweet.

And the answer is single previous season performance has much less to do with a recruit's decision than you might think.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-20-16 11:19 AM - Post#202177    
    In response to digamma

The Devil made me do it.

Nervous, are we?

OneIvyOne 
Junior

Loc: West
Reg: 08-28-13
02-20-16 12:06 PM - Post#202182    
    In response to Tiger69

No, but it appears you are.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-20-16 12:57 PM - Post#202187    
    In response to OneIvyOne

As a Tiger and Ivy League fan, next year has the potential to be an outstanding year with Chambers, Zena, Johnson and the incredibly talented freshmen with some holdovers against the current Tiger team plus Brase. It should be great for the league and there could be two NCAA berths waiting dependent on non-conference play. I recently did see Brase and he looked great -- obviously has been spending time in the gym. May come down to how good/great are the Crimson freshmen but it should be fun although this year has not been too bad and the Tigers are growing as a group.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-20-16 03:55 PM - Post#202209    
    In response to bradley

Brase has spent past few summers playing with German youth teams. Any chance that he will try out for German Olympic team?

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-20-16 07:00 PM - Post#202218    
    In response to Tiger69

Incoming class should be excited.

Amaker knows what he's doing. Harvard will be returning best PG (Siyani) and frontcourt presence (Zena) in the league as battle tested Seniors. Other key returnees are a bevy of three point shooters (Johnson, Miller, McCarthy). Graduation of Steeves, Cummins and Okolie open up tons of minutes (80 per game) and two (or three) starting spots.

The newcomers include small forwards who can score (Towns, Bassey), two 6'10 centers (Baker, Welsh), a PF (Lewis), and the heir apparent to Siyani (Aiken).

I see a nice 9+ player rotation with two starters being seniors. Works out perfectly for newcomers who can join accomplished Senior leaders and play right away.

McCarthy will be fine as Harvard needs ball handlers and Chambers, McCarthy and Aiken will often fill two spots on the floor. After next year, its just Aiken and McCarthy. Amaker will only need three recruits in class of 2017 and can be selective. Rumor is he's been meeting with 5 star candidates.

The only players who could be unhappy are younger players who don't see much time now (Perez, Dragovic, Chatfield, Egi). On the other hand, opening up season on national TV in China against Stanford and appearing in NCAA's with chance to do some damage + a earning a Harvard degree is probably worth sticking around for.

I'm certainly keeping my season tix.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-21-16 05:15 PM - Post#202343    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Incoming class as you point out is very impressive and the Crimson should be very good for the next few years which is a good thing for the Ivy League and its basketball reputation.

Princeton will have everyone back plus Brase from either a 12-2 or possibly 13-1 team primarily comprised of 2 star or less recruits. Henderson must be a really good coach or the ratings sometimes makes one wonder. It almost makes me nervous that they are bringing in two 3 star recruits for next year.

Should be a great battle although the Tigers have some matters to deal with for the balance of this year.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-21-16 06:52 PM - Post#202352    
    In response to bradley

Of the Tigers' first 8 players who comprise the bulk of their prime time minutes, Bell, Brennan and Cannady were all 3-star recruits and Stephens may have been as well if he hadn't missed a lot of his senior year with an injury. The rock-solid junior class who start alongside Bell plus Brase were all 2-star caliber. Coach Henderson has done an outstanding job of developing this talent and molding them into a title-contending team. While I am encouraged about next year's prospects I am even more excited about the next five games with this year's Tiger squad.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.226 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:57 PM