Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Q re CA playoff structure        (Topic#18752)
Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
02-22-16 01:13 PM - Post#202427    

Anyone understand the California playoff structure? I presume that the different divisions represent different school sizes. What, then, is the "open division"?

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
02-22-16 01:31 PM - Post#202428    
    In response to Dr. V

The Open Division is supposed to be the best teams. There are different ways to be included in the Open Division (winning your region for the past two seasons), having a certain Max Preps ranking, etc. The teams in the Open Division playoff bracket are selected by committee and pulled out of whatever normal regional district they'd normally be in. I think this is the third or fourth year of the Open Division format.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
02-22-16 11:29 PM - Post#202479    
    In response to digamma

Thank you. One more question. Is this part of a regional or part of the state competition?

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
02-23-16 08:14 AM - Post#202483    
    In response to Dr. V

The Open Division playoffs are selected before the sectional playoff pairings are announced (so those teams don't go into the sectionals). In CA, all of the playoffs are first sectional, so you play to be the Southern California champion or Northern California champion, and then the winners of those two play for the state title.

iabhoops88 
Sophomore

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 01-26-13
Q re CA playoff structure
02-23-16 04:26 PM - Post#202502    
    In response to digamma

The structure of CA HS basketball divisions and leagues is confusing. I have lived here 15 years and coach at a local high school, but it was only in the past few years that I finally figured it out (or so I think). Basically, there are two levels of "state" championships - one at the Sectional level and one at the State level.

The entire state, governed by California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), is divided into ten sections. Most of the sections (I believe seven) have their own playoff by division and crown their own sectional champions. Then there is a CIF state championship with an Open division and six other divisions. The Open Division championship bracket consists of 8 teams from the Northern CA and 8 teams from Southern CA. The other six divisions consist of up to 16 teams from each (some top seeds get byes). Teams are invited to CIF State based on their regular season record and their performance in their Sectional tournaments.

The Southern Section or CIF-SS is by far the largest with almost 600 schools. It covers most of what you would consider Southern California north of San Diego county and then some. However, it excludes Los Angeles city public schools, which is their own secton. CIF-SS is the one I am most familiar with.

Using 2015 as an example, Bishop Montgomery won the CIF-SS Open Division championship, which is a big deal in SoCal. But in CIF-State, lost to Mater Dei in the semifinals of the Southern bracket. Mater Dei then won the Southern Bracket and advanced to Finals, where it lost to Bishop O'Dowd.

This is the 4th year of open division in basketball. Every team in the Open Division in CIF-SS is guaranteed a spot in the CIF-State tournament (either Open or Div I thru VI).

Edited by iabhoops88 on 02-23-16 04:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.151 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:35 AM