Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Rules Refresher: "Trolling"        (Topic#18755)
mrjames 
Postdoc

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-22-16 06:14 PM - Post#202462    

I don't want to be that guy, but in my limited duties as one of the Admins on this board, I want to have a refresher on the rules regarding "trolling."

When Jake went away from the one message board concept, dividing the threads up between the eight team boards and a league-wide board, much of the reason for doing so was to give each fan base an ecosystem to discuss their team without having to deal with deliberately provocative shots from fans of other teams. Obviously, that was not meant to prohibit genuine participation in discussions that were occurring on other teams' boards, just that, if you were not a fan of a team, if you wanted to participate on their boards, you needed to avoid deliberate attempts to taunt, antagonize or enrage.

It has been brought to my attention that this has been occurring a little more these days, and I will be stepping in going forward. Unlike in the past, I'm not going to ban anyone from the boards or anything, but I will remove threads or specific posts that fit the definition of trolling from guest posters.

Consider this fair warning, and if you see such a post on your boards moving forward, feel free to shoot me a private message and I will address it.

Thanks!
Mike

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-23-16 08:48 PM - Post#202523    
    In response to mrjames

I'm with you MRJ, but is it still ok to poke a little fun at those who seen to take this a little too seriously? We are talking about kids, in short pants, who are doing this because the are having a good time and they want to do this, not because the have to. The coaching staffs are doing this for a living and they deserve our respect. The rest of us should be enjoying the completion for what it is.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-23-16 08:59 PM - Post#202525    
    In response to Old Bear

Just suck 'em onto your home turf by posting on your team X's page, "Team Y is a disgrace." Let the fun begin!

mrjames 
Postdoc

02-23-16 08:59 PM - Post#202526    
    In response to Old Bear

HA! In my eight years or so as a co-admin with Jake, I've probably booted two or three non-advertisement posts/threads from these boards, so it takes a lot to get me to pull the trigger.

This is supposed to be fun and some rivalries between the teams and posters are great to keep the fire burning and stoke all of our collective interests in the league.

At the same time, I want to make sure that we respect the team message board structure here. If you want to joke about how X team's fans are taking a loss really hard, and you're a fan of Y team and post it on Y team's board, that's totally fine. If you go onto X team's board to do it, that's not okay.

I don't have the time to watch this stuff like a hawk, and I don't get a kick out of power for power's sake. But when multiple people ask me to step in, I will. In general, though, I would like to keep up my pace of banning one post/thread every two or three years or so. Fits better with my general laziness.

mrjames 
Postdoc

02-23-16 09:00 PM - Post#202527    
    In response to mrjames

Weird and eerie that SRP and I both went to the Team X and Team Y concept. We've been on these boards too long.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-23-16 09:01 PM - Post#202528    
    In response to mrjames

Well, it would have been uncannier had we both converged on Aleph and Bet.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.09 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:18 AM