Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Penn        (Topic#18817)
Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Re: Penn
03-09-16 10:41 AM - Post#203893    
    In response to bradley

UGLY WIN > PRETTY LOSS

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-09-16 12:04 PM - Post#203914    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
I am surprised that there was not the normal chorus of whining about the ref calls....

Avert your eyes from the Penn board.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-09-16 12:39 PM - Post#203929    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
We got a peek into the future with this team tonight. Down 18 with about 15 minutes to play Donahue went with four freshman and Matt Howard. Hamilton, Rothschild, Silpe and J Donahue sparked a furious rally that got us to within a point. The offense was beautiful and the defense was inspiring for much of that run. SD subbed in DNH and the team changed gears dramatically. They slowed down, became predictable, and no one was open.

With the freshmen they looked energetic, shared the ball and played solid defense. Hamilton adds athleticism we just don't have anywhere else. Amir Bell killed us at the Palestra and Hamilton made him almost a non factor tonight.

I think this team will be much better without DNH next year. I am going on record as predicting a top 4 finish.

Apologies, I meant to post this on the Penn board. It was a long night.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-09-16 06:38 PM - Post#203995    
    In response to sparman

• Dial Lodge Said:
When we had a #8 ranking and a 25-1 record (plus or minus) having lost only in the last two minutes to North Carolina back in the Carmody days, we needed overtime to beat Penn and still were seeded high in the NCAA tournament.

Even with the loss it remains the best basketball game I've ever attended. Not the most fun, but the best. I really miss the packed house days. Can you imagine if that game was played this week with these temps? People would have left the Palestra down 5 pounds.

• sparman Said:
  • bradley Said:
I am surprised that there was not the normal chorus of whining about the ref calls....

Avert your eyes from the Penn board.

Did I miss all of this complaining you reference? I didn't see anything overly outrageous, definitely not like the first game which was handed to Princeton on a silver platter, and I don't see Penn fans whining about yesterday either. I will say that had Penn not scored after that joke of an inadvertent whistle, you most certainly would have heard the complaints. I'm sorry but an inadvertent whistle should automatically reset the clock to 14, not just give the ball out of bounds with whatever was left at the time of the pretty inexcusable error.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-09-16 09:01 PM - Post#204008    
    In response to Quakers03

I never have seen this game. I couldn't watch it live and ILDN still lists it as "upcoming" on the schedule and won't archive it. Not sure how much I want to watch it after reading all this, but a win is a win in the end.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-09-16 11:14 PM - Post#204043    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:
Did I miss all of this complaining you reference? I didn't see anything overly outrageous, definitely not like the first game which was handed to Princeton on a silver platter, and I don't see Penn fans whining about yesterday either. I will say that had Penn not scored after that joke of an inadvertent whistle, you most certainly would have heard the complaints. I'm sorry but an inadvertent whistle should automatically reset the clock to 14, not just give the ball out of bounds with whatever was left at the time of the pretty inexcusable error.

Well, you're whining again about the first game and insist upon a view of it ("outrageous!") that is not shared by most people on this Board. If we were posting the same thing at your place, I'm pretty sure there would be howls.

I'll grant you it's not at the decibel level following the first game, but I consider the following to be complaints:

"Yes, the refs did Penn no favors in crunch time when reviewing the play. And no, I'm not talking about the game in the Palestra."

"Are you kidding me?? How does that happen? 3.2?? .... And when does NO time get puck back on the clock?"

Sure, you're entitled to let off frustration after a close loss, but you can't pretend it's something other than what it is.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-10-16 12:00 AM - Post#204047    
    In response to sparman

It's one play and we were more upset at our coach. That couldn't have been enough the account for "avert your eyes."

You can watch it as a replay on ESPN3 SRP. It's still on my WatchESPN app so I have to imagine it's still online too.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
03-10-16 12:20 AM - Post#204052    
    In response to Quakers03

The outrage of the inadvertent whistle was that the refs allowed Penn to substitute in the big ugly (and then Princeton to sub in Miller). Not sure what the rule book says but it seemed like allowing an Offensive switch provided an advantage to Penn. Not that it mattered.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.209 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:55 AM