Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Now that we have a tournament        (Topic#19059)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
06-01-16 07:45 PM - Post#207363    

Check this out

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Now that we have a tournament
06-02-16 09:07 PM - Post#207377    
    In response to Streamers

Interesting article. Calipari is making a pitch to keep the revenue stream going yet reward the team with the best regular season record. That might be easier to accomplish at the SEC versus many other conferences, particularly mid-major conferences.

I doubt that many conferences will eliminate the conference post season tournament due to money considerations but hopefully, some momentum is gained to the positions taken by Calipari, Carmody, etc over time.

Okoro Dude 
Senior

Loc: Glen Mills, PA
Reg: 11-24-04
Re: Now that we have a tournament
06-06-16 12:04 PM - Post#207411    
    In response to bradley

I don't see this as Calipari making a statement about regular season champs vs. tournament winners in a way that is relevant to Ivies and other leagues. It's hard to imagine an SEC regular season champion not getting an at large bid in any case. I think this is about his situation alone and not wanting to play in a late season tournament before NCAAs which he sees as a distraction for his team.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
06-09-16 03:02 PM - Post#207539    
    In response to Okoro Dude

High-major issues. "We're getting a bid anyway and it didn't improve our seeding, so why bother."

But the high-major tourneys are kind of tits-on-a-bull things. Pac-12 even dropped it for a few years because it wasn't helping. But eventually they (and the Ivies) added a data point in favor of DiMaggio and Powell's theory of "institutional isomorphism."

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
06-11-16 02:08 PM - Post#207566    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
High-major issues. "We're getting a bid anyway and it didn't improve our seeding, so why bother."

But the high-major tourneys are kind of tits-on-a-bull things. Pac-12 even dropped it for a few years because it wasn't helping. But eventually they (and the Ivies) added a data point in favor of DiMaggio and Powell's theory of "institutional isomorphism."

Congratulations! To the best of my knowledge, first reference to tits on this board, albeit ectopic in nature. Any comments about genetic polymorphism?

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.459 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:03 PM