Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Meet the Posters        (Topic#19190)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
08-05-16 02:47 AM - Post#209264    

It's nice to see that the board has gotten more lively - with real recruiting info!

I thought I'd start a random thread (as I try to do sometimes). I see posts from many of you, but I don't know your back stories, your affiliation with Penn hoops, and your insider status. For example, P38 has some posts which make me think he has some inside connection, and others which make me think not.

Are you all willing to post the following:
1. Your years at Penn or your affiliation.
2. Background on your knowledge (fan, booster, insider, coach, reporter, etc.)
3. Your favorite Penn basketball memories.
4. Your prediction for Penn's record this year.

Here is my bio:
1. I was a '92 undergraduate and '98 MBA.
2. I am just a fan with no insider knowledge. When I was an undergraduate, I played another sport and would wander through the Palestra after my workouts. I'd often hang back in the stands for a few minutes to watch practices. Back in those days, I could tell you who was playing well or not from watching practices - which almost made me an insider.
3. My favorite memories:
- The 1992 season (Allen's Freshman year) when an undersized and generally slow team played the most unbelievable defense - to ultimately finish second in the league.
- In 1993 - Watching Matt Maloney's debut and realizing that the team was actually going to be really good.
- In 1993 - Krug's dunk against Princeton at home, Barry Pierce's game winning dunk at Princeton ("Keith Elias - 59 yards").
- In 1988 - the come from behind win at Dartmouth.
4. I need a bit more time to come up with a prediction. I think they'll be better than last year by virtue of having a few more shooters. I just hope they'll play defense!

These weren't necessarily the most important moments in Penn's basketball lore. Just moments that I still remember clearly to this day.

I look forward to learning more about all of you!

Edited by Penndemonium on 08-05-16 02:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
08-05-16 02:50 AM - Post#209265    
    In response to Penndemonium

BTW, I'm also interested to hear stories, on some of the non-Penn people who post on the Penn board (MrJames, Tiger69, Bruno, etc.).

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
Re: Background
08-05-16 10:54 PM - Post#209283    
    In response to Penndemonium

West Philly Native - lived near Wilt, First Palestra Game - saw Guy Rodgers and Hal Lear beat somebody. First Penn BB game - John Wideman against Princeton in 62. Stepson of Mike Nazarok, long time Penn equipment manager. Father of DPerry lead Women's blogger on this board. Best Palestra player I have seen - Bob Lanier before injury. Best Big Five Player - Ken Durrett before injury. Best Penn Player - Corky Calhoun. Had courtside seats during my years at Penn 64-68 in heyday of big five. Favorite memories: Mark Lenetto's steal and dunk to ice upset of Princeton. Frosh beating varsity in 68 and 69, upset of LaSalle in 68. Bilsky's shot to beat Villanova in 69-70. Win in Princeton by 25 after the lost second half in the Palestra. Seeing Maloney go off against Villanova to start the great run. Playing one on one with Dave Wohl - what talent and drive! Playing one on one with shy freshman Matt White - had seven inches on me and was probably quicker - some athlete - best project/walk on ever? Playing lunch time pickup against fast Eddie Rendell. Worst memories - Loss to Villanova in 71. Blowing that lead to Princeton, realizing how long it would take to repair the current damage to the program two years ago.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
08-06-16 05:18 PM - Post#209293    
    In response to UPIA1968

Oh, ok. I was born in a cave in the Northwest and I raised Bruno from a pup.

section110 
Masters Student

Loc: south jersey
Reg: 11-22-04
08-06-16 07:33 PM - Post#209295    
    In response to Old Bear

Love ya man.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.243 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:28 AM