Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: TV package        (Topic#19454)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
11-10-16 11:35 AM - Post#212860    

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/information/general...
west coast fan

palestra38 
Professor

Re: TV package
11-10-16 03:04 PM - Post#212877    
    In response to internetter

This is complete horses.hit. They're going to play a noon doubleheader on Saturday at the Palestra and follow it with a noon final on Sunday? If the whole idea is to create a tradition for the student bodies and alums to come together, there has to be a night program. This way, no one gets together before the first program, half the people leave for good by 4:30 (the winner from that game must play 20 hours later) and there isn't even time for brunch before Sunday. This is simply done to get on ESPN. Did we need the TV exposure that badly?

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
11-10-16 03:44 PM - Post#212883    
    In response to palestra38

Simply beyond belief as to the time lapse between game #2 on Saturday and the 12:00 Sunday final. Let me take a guess why --- TV/Money. There has been considerable debate about the reasons behind the IL tournament over the past year on this website. Not too hard to figure out.

Great scheduling concept to decide who should represent the league in Glendale, Arizona next spring. My suggestion is that the coaches prepare for the IL tournament by having the players run a few half marathons over the Winter.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
11-10-16 04:03 PM - Post#212887    
    In response to bradley

On the other hand, this format allows the players to miss less school and more fans to travel and attend. Of all leagues, our players are uniquely used to games 24 hours apart.

Nevertheless, as an opponent of the tournament, I expressed concernd over a year ago that we'd get slotted in behind the 15 to 20 more established tournaments. More likely now that injuries, depth, and home court advantage play a role in determining the league representative.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
11-10-16 04:12 PM - Post#212888    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Ugh!

The March 3rd Harvard vs Princeton showdown has been moved to 5:30pm! Guess someone realizes the regular season isn't determinant and wanted the squads to get rest before playing for keeps 9 days later at noon.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
11-10-16 11:50 PM - Post#212928    

• palestra38 Said:
They're going to play a noon doubleheader on Saturday at the Palestra and follow it with a noon final on Sunday?

Well, beyond the TV question, remember that the selection show is at 6. Since we are now allegedly a two-bid contender, we need to make sure that the committee has sufficient time to consider any at-large claims we may have. That's also why the women's game is after the men's game; their selection is on Monday, so it doesn't matter if it's later in the day. Of course, what it also means is that the audience for the women's final will be pretty much me, my wife, and the families of the participants--and that's if Penn makes it. It also means that even if the Penn men don't make it, I'm going to have to pony up for the whole bloody package to make sure I can see the women. I knew that was coming.

• Quote:
This is simply done to get on ESPN. Did we need the TV exposure that badly?

Except that we're not on the actual ESPN; even the men's final is only on the Deuce, and of course, all of this will be going up against upper-echelon conference semis and finals.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
11-11-16 12:00 AM - Post#212929    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
Simply beyond belief as to the time lapse between game #2 on Saturday and the 12:00 Sunday final. Let me take a guess why --- TV/Money.

Except that a.) Robin Harris explicitly disclaimed any concern about revenue during the official announcement last year, and b.) since even the men's final is only on the Deuce and the rest are on ESPNU or online, and we'll be going up against the conclusions to all of the big-league tournaments, I doubt we'll be bringing in all that much money anyway--hell, we might be paying them to show these things. Of course, competing against the power conferences also kind of kills the exposure we were supposed to be getting, too. Have I ever mentioned that these people know nothing about marketing?

• Quote:
There has been considerable debate about the reasons behind the IL tournament over the past year on this website. Not too hard to figure out.

Let's be blunt: the reason this finally happened this year is because the other seven schools are terrified that otherwise, Harvard would win every year. As a fan of one of the other seven schools, which when they get their act together would definitely be able to beat Harvard regularly in the 14GT, I am ashamed of our cowardice.
David Perry
Penn '92

Edited by dperry on 11-11-16 12:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
11-11-16 12:08 AM - Post#212930    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
On the other hand, this format allows the players to miss less school and more fans to travel and attend. Of all leagues, our players are uniquely used to games 24 hours apart.

In fairness, in order to win most of the conference tournaments, and practically all of the major ones, you've got to go at least three days straight, and usually four or even five. Our slate is pretty easy compared to that.
David Perry
Penn '92

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-11-16 12:56 AM - Post#212932    
    In response to dperry

Is it too late to cancel this stupid meritless idea?

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-11-16 12:59 AM - Post#212933    

The players would miss even less school without this stupid tournament.

palestra38 
Professor

11-11-16 07:26 AM - Post#212937    
    In response to dperry

I thought the real thinking involved bringing the schools of the conference together in a great Kumbaya. Instead, people will get getting Egg McMuffins, seeing the game and leaving.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-11-16 03:58 PM - Post#212994    

If you go back on the many threads over the years debating the tournament, this is exactly what most of the opponents predicted would happen. It was easy, because the other mid-majors (and the low-majors) get this kind of treatment too and their tournaments are equally stupid.

Imitation in a crowded market is not a very sensible strategy.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
11-11-16 05:26 PM - Post#213006    
    In response to SRP

Pretty sure the conventional wisdom was that we wouldn't be able to get coverage on the crowded final weekend and would wind up playing at like 4:45 on Friday and only the final would be televised.

We got OUR ENTIRE TOURNAMENT ON LINEAR TV including ESPNU, which is in 75M-plus homes, for the semis and ESPN2, which is in almost 100M homes, for the final. And we did it while playing in the afternoon on Saturday and at noon on Sunday (as opposed to what... a couple hours later - there's not a huge window to wrap up play on Sunday).

I'm stunned we got as good a setup as we did. Kudos to Robin and her staff.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-11-16 07:37 PM - Post#213031    
    In response to mrjames

It isn't some attention-getting festival at that time and against that competition. This won't be any more of a boon than the other TV packages are in terms of outreach. The gamblers and the hard-core fans of those conferences may watch.

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
12-24-16 10:22 AM - Post#216577    
    In response to SRP

I missed this in the scheduling, but we don't have a first Friday where all teams are in action the last week in January. Brown and Yale play Penn and Princeton in mid January and then Harvard and Dartmouth play the Cs the last weekend in January. Our first full Friday is February 3, and all teams will have at least 3 games played at that point.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.226 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:41 AM