Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: BYU        (Topic#19486)
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
11-14-16 11:54 AM - Post#213213    

Betting Line: BYU favored by 4pts at home with over/under 159pts. Vegas is predicting a high scoring, fast paced game. BYU won an exhibition game against sibling school BYU-Hawaii by 47 points, 110-67. Scored many of their points with inside game similar to how Stanford scored on Harvard although the preseason game was men against boys. Brase may well be needed for interior defense combined with Miller/Brennan.

Should be a competitive game and a good test.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: BYU
11-14-16 11:02 PM - Post#213235    
    In response to bradley

Miller not starting--Brase

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
11-14-16 11:08 PM - Post#213236    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Lots of scoring opportunities not being seized.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
11-14-16 11:10 PM - Post#213237    
    In response to sparman

Brase and Miller on the floor simultaneously.

Vonsid 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-12-16
11-14-16 11:58 PM - Post#213238    

Way to many 3's.

21 of the 36 FGA's in the first half were 3 pt attempts.

They also went to the line 18 times making 16 of them. We went 4 times making 3.

It's a miracle we are only down by 9.

I have that feeling though. We did this a lot last year. Keeping it to 10 or less at the half and then blow the doors off teams in the second half.

Go Tigers!

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
BYU
11-15-16 12:02 AM - Post#213239    
    In response to Vonsid

Was hoping to take a break from the Trumpocalypse, but I'm not enjoying this at all.

Upperclassmen are playing like freshmen, alternating between too scared and too amped up. BYU's Mika is getting tons of help from refs and he's making his FTs like Steph Curry.

I've seen these guys come back, so all is not lost. But I would like to see Cannady and Bell assert themselves more.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
BYU
11-15-16 01:10 AM - Post#213242    
    In response to gokinsmen

Very disappointing loss because it's same old story with an MH team.

Having Brase back didn't help us inside at all. Senior Weisz and junior Bell missed a bunch of easy 3s and layups respectively. Sloppy ballhandling mistakes at the worst times.

Positives: good effort, great strategy. But our guys still played like scared freshmen. Every time they play a major conference opponent, I still see fear and nerves. Cannady is the future of the team. Sophomore or not, he has the guts and shot-making ability no one else on this team does. But he overpassed when he was hot.

This will be the same team as last year, give or take. Crush the bad teams. Beat most of the mediocre teams. Lose to all the good/great teams. Ivy tourney will be a coin flip.

Vonsid 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-12-16
11-15-16 01:31 AM - Post#213243    
    In response to gokinsmen

Ah Gokinsmen is back

I see you haven't lost your stride

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-15-16 01:45 AM - Post#213244    
    In response to gokinsmen

Frustrating game. They are rarely going to win with Weisz going 1-3 from two and 1-7 from three unless the defense is great or someone else goes off, especially if they give up 14 ORs on 36 missed shots by the opponent. The offense got tons of good looks from three in rhythm, but 4-16 is putrid. (Contrary to the commentators I wish they'd put up some more of those, though, to give themselves a chance to regress up to their mean. Even a couple more would have changed the complexion of the game.)

I agreed with color man Daugherty that they needed to take drives all the way to the hole in the first half, the way some of them did in the second. Bell seemed to give up after he missed that dunk. Attack!

Way too much passive defense, "catching" the drives of the Cougars too close to the basket. That might have been OK if they had been close to getting a call at some point (and here let me stamp my foot and shake my tiny fist about the absurd bias in the officiating, even noticed by the commentators in their understated way), but they weren't. When they bent their knees and got into BYU they looked a lot better, and the post guys did a way better job in the second half, but it just was the same old problem of not looking locked in on enough possessions. Only one or two zone possessions also, against a team killing them with drives and post play, which is slightly baffling.

Cannady fears nothing, which is great, and Cook sort of woke up in the second half, but Bell was pretty bad for him on both ends. Stephens looked pretty good, Brennan was pretty good, Miller and Brase got hammered trying to defend and didn't give that much offensively. Caruso didn't seem to feel he had the advantage that often, but 5-9 is solid and he played his usual all-around game.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
BYU
11-15-16 02:10 AM - Post#213245    
    In response to SRP

Ref's would never have let Princeton win this one. Blonde ref was absolutely biased. Other refs disagreed with him on too many calls. Probably relieved Princeton didn't get close enough to have the game stolen like happened to Harvard at St. Mary's a few years ago. I guess Ref's eliminating Brase accomplished that here. Announcers on numerous occasions brought up the fact that Brase had two phantom calls in the first half. Almost didn't recognize BYU coach Rose. Last time I saw him his face was red while he screamed for almost two hours while Harvard beat his squad in Maui.

Liberal north easterners, welcome to America - again.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 11-15-16 02:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

11-15-16 02:36 AM - Post#213246    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I was starting to feel that Mika might have some sort of secret prophetic status the way he was getting bizarre calls.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-15-16 12:40 PM - Post#213264    

Thanks, HGD for putting things in perspective. No matter how hard/well you play, it's always tough to go to SLC and beat the tall, blond, ex-missionaries in their own "church". Disappointing, but still our first game. We are loaded with high expectations. When the team settles down, so will the fans. In defense of BYU, one of their big guys took us apart. Not sure how much help the addition of Brase will be to this team. He is sort of our one and done.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

11-15-16 01:19 PM - Post#213266    
    In response to Tiger69

Thanks. Despite the uptick in Ivy recruiting the really talented and athletic big bodies have still gone elsewhere. Players like Travis and Mika still eat us up, as they will most teams. Nothing to be ashamed of, until Harvard lands a Carter or Bamba and a new trend starts. To make it worse, even guys like Travis and Mika are still not 'one and done's'

In the meantime, if ref's call a game tight then even Brase and Zena will really have no way to defend talented bigs who can shoot and pound the boards.

Moving on, Cannady was great.

SRP 
Postdoc

11-15-16 04:00 PM - Post#213272    

Despite it all, an average day (based on last season) shooting wide-open treys would have made it a nail-biter and an above-average day would have made PU the winner. Got to hope that this was not an example of a new average.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-15-16 04:32 PM - Post#213275    
    In response to SRP

After watching replay, the Tigers had wide open threes and only made 10 out of 35. BYU with its inside game should take more foul shots but 41FTs to 12FTs is a big disparity but to some extent that it is a reality when you are on the road and it cannot be used as an excuse.

Tigers clearly had an opportunity to win the game even on the road and BYU is good especially Mika, Emery and Hawes. For a senior team, Tigers did not play with composure throughout the game.

Bottom line is that they must win these types of games if they want to avoid the Ivy League ping pong ball tournament. They simply need to step up and play better.

Other than Yale, it has been a slow start for most Ivy League teams. There are many talented teams across the country including Lehigh who lost by 3 pts to Xavier in the opener -- this weekend's opponent on the road. Tigers better wake up and smell the roses --- the talent is there.

SRP 
Postdoc

11-15-16 09:32 PM - Post#213282    
    In response to bradley

I agree. Even shooting 33% from three would have added six points and probably put them in the lead before having to foul at the end. And there were chances to get to the rim that weren't taken.

But we also need to see some Vince Lombardi on D: You don't do things the right way some of the time, you do them all of the time. It's great to start fighting hard when you fall behind, as they also did against VaTech in the NIT game last year. It's even better to fight all the way through and grind the other team down.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-15-16 10:53 PM - Post#213287    
    In response to SRP

Even though BYU had many shots close to the basket, surprisingly they had a 40% FG percentage for the game. The Tigers did contest shots for most of the game pretty well but the foul shots killed them. Mika hitting 12 of 13 foul shots at 6'10". They obviously had trouble keeping Mika off the boards.

If the Tigers hit a higher percentage of 3 pointers as you point out and did not miss a bunch of close range shots, maybe a different story. Weisz had a bad game. It is remarkable though that Tigers have at least 8 guys who can play at a high level. BYU had a drop off from their top 4 guys but those 4 guys were very good.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

11-15-16 11:01 PM - Post#213288    
    In response to bradley

On tonight's Duke - Kansas broadcast announcers explained after foul calls that officials have been instructed to call things very tight in the hope that the players will adjust and open up play later in the year.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
11-16-16 09:31 PM - Post#213350    
    In response to gokinsmen

I have watched most of the game on replay. I did not like the tentative start, and I kind of agree with GK that Henderson's coaching is flawed in that he wants to play from the outside to in, not inside to out. I much prefer the more aggressive penetrating style they displayed to start the second half.

Regarding the individual play:

Brase: I was surprised he started. I wanted to see last years team remain intact. He must shoot better to start the game or don’t start. Fantastic rebounding.

Miller: looked good on D. Should be starting IMHO. More comfortable in the low post on offense than Brase. More room to move the ball on the perimeter with him down low.

Weisz: dribbles too much. Streaky shooting. I love the guy, but not an up tempo player. With our depth and talent, we can run!

Caruso: I thought MH sat him too soon in first half.

Bell: needs to go to the hoop early and often. The team plays better when he is aggressive.

Cannady: time to think about starting him. Gifted player.

Cook: A few years ago I wanted him to be moved up to a starter but now it is time to come in off the bench. Shouldn't shoot threes from the corner--high frequency of airballs from that spot.

Stephens: gotta make those bunnies!

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
11-16-16 10:35 PM - Post#213358    

I watched also and was disappointed in Tiger performance as a Penn fan. These are the types of games that the '98 team closed the deal on... if the '16 squad wants to come close they have to do better in these big games.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.244 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:54 AM