Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Lafayette        (Topic#19525)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-23-16 09:00 PM - Post#214007    

First half looked better in some ways than the previous games. Up five on nice last-possession shot from Cannady. Will Gladson breaks out with two out of two treys and some nice passing, reminiscent of Princeton centers of old. Outside shooting looking a lot better, too, but the inside game has been anemic (partly due to the Leopards' 2-3 zone through the first quarter of the game). And contrary to the video interview with Coach Carril at halftime, they've moved the ball a lot better passing through the post with fewer headlong drives.

Defense has been better in exploiting Lafayette's loose ball handling, forcing some TOs and converting some of them to buckets. When no TO, I'd estimate Lafayette got a good look about a third of the time and an OK look another quarter, so not bad but not overwhelming D. A couple of bad late-in-the-clock fouls, terrific charge drawn by Bell. Good rebounding, too.

SRP 
Postdoc

11-23-16 09:13 PM - Post#214010    
    In response to SRP

Three good looks and three TOs for Lafayette in the first six possessions of the second half, only one basket for them. Tigers need to shoot better.

SRP 
Postdoc

11-23-16 09:33 PM - Post#214011    
    In response to SRP

6:31 to go, up 13. Brase actually took a trey and it went in. Maybe that will get him untracked. He's played a good overall game this time, not getting pushed around by the not-as-big Leopard big guy and making some nice passes. Way too many careless TOs by the Tigers or this game would be a blowout.

SRP 
Postdoc

11-23-16 09:38 PM - Post#214012    
    In response to SRP

4:00 to go, up 12. No sign of a collapse, but I'd be happier if they had managed to extend the lead. A couple of defensive lapses in there, mitigated by some good ORs.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Lafayette
11-23-16 09:48 PM - Post#214014    
    In response to SRP

Disaster averted, but they're not looking like Ivy champs. Yale looks sharper even without Mason and I don't trust this squad in a tourney match against anyone. Considering all the bunnies Lafeyette missed at the rim, this should have been a 20pt laugher wire to wire.

This team plays with so little confidence on both ends. It's a miracle to see a hard foul or a strong rebound with elbows and shoulders flailing. I want to see aggressive drive-and-kicks instead of endless drive-and-pick-up-your-dr ibbles.

Maybe we found something in Gladson, though. He doesn't seem to play as scared as our other bigs. Bell, however, looks totally lost. Is he injured or something? Weisz is also sputtering to begin the season. This team needs a sports psychologist. Maybe it's the lack of Brian Earl.

SRP 
Postdoc

11-23-16 09:49 PM - Post#214015    
    In response to SRP

Win by 16. Sigh of relief. Much better D against a team a lot easier to guard than previous opponents. Ran away from dangerous jump shooters a disturbing number of times, and paid for it most of the time, but overall they took the Leopards out of their comfort zone. Excellent rebounding on both ends and a general crisper game despite too many loose TOs. Cook and Caruso were better than the guys trying to guard them and the centers (all three) took charge of the paint well.

Petrie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-14-16
11-23-16 10:23 PM - Post#214021    
    In response to SRP

Baby steps. Disaster averted is right, and maybe a win gives them back some of the confidence they used to play with. I'm talking to you Amir bell and Spenser Weisz . So far they are a combined 13/42 from the field and 8/38 from 3, and I think their floor games have been sub-par, tentative.

These guys are just much better than they've been playing this year. They have to revert to form. Don't they? When they do, obviously the team looks much, much better.

Loved seeing Gladson. Great size, not just tall. I didn't see how many minutes he got, but I saw enough to fuel dreams of him taking over at center mid season and being the difference between last year's near miss and this year's title ( same kind of dreams that had Bell averaging 18 this year).

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
11-23-16 11:05 PM - Post#214026    
    In response to SRP

Agree with your observations. Defense was better but Lafayette is not an offensive threat although Tigers were down 15-11 due to some crazy shots made by Lafayette. Tigers beat them by 52 points last year at home. They still seem out of sync offensively large due to the poor shooting/play by Bell, Weisz and Brase. Weisz started slowly last year -- Tigers definitely need him to hit 3 pointers.

Cook, Caruso and Cannady are carrying the team offensively. Gladson, Miller and Stephens were contributors. Offense played poorly against the zone although Cannady speeded up the game and they needed it. Cannady is not a very good defensive player but he brings life and energy.

If they do not play much better, VCU will take it to them in a week. VCU lost to #20 Baylor by 8 points. Tigers are due for a breakout -- need it to restore confidence.

Lafayette coach praised Tigers talent post-game but talent only carries one only so far. He seemed somewhat pleased that they did not get blown out after last year's debacle.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
11-24-16 09:06 AM - Post#214029    
    In response to Petrie

• Petrie Said:
Amir bell and Spenser Weisz are a combined 13/42 from the field and 8/38 from 3, and I think their floor games have been sub-par, tentative.

Loved seeing Gladson. Great size, not just tall.

Agree on both points.

Gladson showed a fluid stroke, quick feet around the basket, and he came for the opposite side of the paint to block a shot.

From the interview last year in the St. Louis paper, he sees himself as a stretch 4, so shooting the 3 is definitely a desire of his.

I think the offense struggles in part because of the fact that Brase is starting. These guys were used to a 4-man game with a center who was not inclined to shoot from more than six feet from the hoop. Now they are trying to get used to Brase, who is a good shooter at times, but streaky and hesitant after a few misses.

Weisz dribbles too much and moves too slowly with the ball. He stalls the flow when he takes it toward the paint.

In his limited minutes, Alec Brennan looked more active and confident that I have seen him in the past. Now if he can just stay on the floor for enough possessions to get a few shots.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
11-24-16 01:04 PM - Post#214042    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Much better effort on defense, although Lafayette has few weapons. Can't agree on Brennan. He was not particularly effective, although Henderson gave him a shot before turning to the freshman Gladson. Very impressive kid at 6'10" and 255lb. Hit two threes immediately and disrupted the Leopards inside. Scored 8 pts and grabbed 3 rebs. in 9 minutes. Expect to see more of him.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
11-24-16 01:21 PM - Post#214045    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

I understand your objection to my thoughts on Brennan. Certainly he put no points on the board in his two minutes. I was watching him exclusively when he was in the game, and I think he was expecting a longer stint. He seemed a bit shocked when he was pulled on the foul shot. Maybe I was over interpreting, but I thought he was pleased to get some early PT and wanted to do more.

I hope Gladson continues to play as well. I remember Forbes hit his first 2 (or was it 3) three point shots last year in the Dillon game. Never shot quite so well as the year progressed.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-25-16 09:44 AM - Post#214066    

Coach had Gladson with him post-game interview and he talked about how Will's two 3 pointers lightened up the team. Everyone started to have "fun" on the court, i.e. coach speak that it took some pressure off in a tight 1st half. Coach was pretty stressed out after Leigh game which was a concern.

Today's game should be a lot of fun against Rowan in all likelihood. Henderson may want Bell, Weisz and Brase to hit a few shots to get some confidence going prior to VCU game.

It would be ironic if two 3 pointers by a 6'10" freshmen gets their mojo back. I am not sure.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
11-25-16 10:10 AM - Post#214067    
    In response to bradley

I had a seat among several of the Tiger parents and other supporters. Henderson's observation was on the money. The players exuded a sense of relief after Gladson's spark, a feeling that permeated the 30 or so Tiger fans in attendance as well.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-25-16 08:52 PM - Post#214089    

We went to the game tonight just to watch the younger guys play a lot of minutes. Out of the freshmen class, everyone played. Morales and Gladson looked like they are further along as players. Avila and Arirguzoh are work-in-progress although the Trenton Catholic kid has some interesting skill sets; especially his body and wing span. On the other side of the equation, Bell got a lot of minutes and he seems to continue taking a step back. Brennan and Ramlage were also unimpressive. May be a pretty big drop off next year unless Coach gets some high end recruits although the irony is that Brennan and Bell had high ratings coming out of high school.

Princeton was up by 45-12 with 9 minutes to go in the 1st half. Finally, Weisz was swishing , 4 out of 4 on three pointers and the Tigers hit 9 out of 12 3 pointers with nothing but net. I believe that Cannady and Miller will be getting more minutes with Bell and Brase getting fewer minutes as the season progresses.

VCU will probably be their toughest game of the year next week followed by probably their second toughest game, Cal Bears. Tigers will have to hit a fair amount of threes like this evening. They had the same open looks at BYU as they had tonight but the shots did not go in.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
11-25-16 11:33 PM - Post#214094    
    In response to bradley

Was at the game as well...just back back to Baltimore.

Agree with your assessment of Morales. Very quick, nice stroke, and not afraid to go to the hoop and use his body to protect the ball.

Gladson worked hard in the low post, but the little guys from Rowan swarmed on him when he got the ball, which really bothered him.

I liked what I saw of Avila--good handle, wide shoulders, and likes to work down low. Didn't get a feel for his three point shooting stroke.

Aririgozuh was not impressive at all. He has a very awkward shot--I can't see him ever shooting a 3, and his foul shot is no better. We know what a problem that can be from the experience with Miller. Lastly, no shot blocks, and two real good opportunities to do so.

SRP 
Postdoc

11-26-16 02:26 AM - Post#214098    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

ILDN doesn't have the game archived yet, so no chance for me to assess. I would really like to know what is up with Bell--he seems to be making things more complicated than they need to be.

Petrie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-14-16
11-26-16 03:14 AM - Post#214099    
    In response to SRP

On the plus side, not sure there's anything better this game could've given than Spencer Weisz going 4 for 4 from 3.

Still, Bell situation is worrying. I still think he has it in him to be all league type who can match up against big time competition. But wonder, at this rate, how long he can keep starting job. Maybe a stint coming off the bench would help, though hope he takes off before that's necessary. Go to the hoop Amir.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-26-16 09:24 AM - Post#214101    
    In response to Petrie

Bell is an enigma as he has played better against top line competition, i.e. Maryland, Miami, than aganinst lesser competition. His stats have declined from his freshmen year as he may have lost confidence. He plays around the perimeter too much and does not take advantage of his ability to penetrate. Most concerning, his defense has suffered especially against small, quick guards even with his long wing span. Coach played him longer last night to see if he could hit a few shots which he did not. Against a very quick VCU PG Williams, Cannady - albeit not a great defender -- may well get additional time as he brings offense.

You are right about Weisz. The Tigers need his shot or Cannady on the floor to add another scoring option to Caruso and Cook. Weisz looked smooth last night at last although he has suffered with his game against the best athletic opponents during his career.

What struck me most last night is how difficult it is for freshmen to walk onto the floor and have it all together although Cannady and Weisz were exceptions over the past 3+ years. Also, ratings for an individual player are no guarantee as to performance especially for players -- Brennan while Cook has the athleticism and skill set of a 3+ rating in retrospect.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.206 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:27 AM