Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Big men        (Topic#19548)
Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-29-16 12:23 PM - Post#214320    

With the emergence of Will Gladson MH must be rethinking his present and future options. This should have been the breakout year for Alec Brennan. But his court time and performance thus far give no signs of breakthrough. A PF and TO or two and maybe a 3 and he sits down. I'm assuming that he is not standing out in practice. He seems like a nice kid. But it might be time to look elsewhere. Hans Brase is either nursing the after effects of injury or still trying to fit in with a faster, more talented group. But his three is not as needed (or reliable) as a couple of seasons ago, and his D is not as reliable as Miller's. Meanwhile the freshmen have two or three athletic and long-armed big guys. Maybe it's time to give Pete Miller back some of his lost time as his defense and rebounding are more important than any offense he provides, and spell him with Gladson. Any cleanup time should go to the other two freshman.

Albert08 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-21-10
Re: Big men
11-29-16 01:38 PM - Post#214323    
    In response to Tiger69

I agree that Gladson will see more playing time. His basketball IQ and court awareness are greater as a freshman than Brennan's are as a junior, and I think he will emerge as someone seeing 15-20 minutes a game. I watched the Rowan game and was very impressed with Jose Morales - though the competition was not D-I level. He will leapfrog both Khyan Rayner and Aaron Young in the rotation, as the spark-plug playmaker off the bench. Maybe I am engaging in wishful thinking, but as I watched him play, he kept reminding me of the Siyani Chambers of a couple of years ago. I think Reynoso-Avila was injured earlier and is not yet in shape, but he will see the floor a lot in the future.

Petrie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-14-16
11-29-16 01:59 PM - Post#214326    
    In response to Tiger69

I agree with your prescription, but I'd be shocked to see it happen, and to be honest, I'd guess MH would view relegating Brase to deep reserve as professional malpractice. Can he sit a 3 year starter who is his best rebounder in favor of playing a freshman with good potential ? I could only see it happening if they lose their next 5 or 6 in a row, or maybe their first couple ivy games.

On the other hand, starting Miller, bringing Brase off the bench, and letting Gladson fill in , in the event of foul trouble or particular match ups might be feasible change. I'd also like to see Brennan get more time, but don't see from whom the minutes would come.

Just frustrating having 4 good big guys and we we're getting destroyed by opponents centers, while getting little offense from ours.

Meanwhile- Amir, please be the scorer you can be.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
11-29-16 02:29 PM - Post#214334    
    In response to Tiger69

This year, I thought that Mitch was going to start Miller at Center with Brase as a PF against certain teams, i.e. BYU, Cal and possibly Harvard.

Miller is a pure 1 both defensively and offensively and Brase is really a 3 on offense and 2 as a defender. Against big teams, you need two big strong defenders/rebounders on the court for a minimum of 20 minutes especially if you get into the NCAA tournament i.e. Connolly and Maddox on the court together against Kentucky several years ago in round 1 when they lost by 2 points.

Although coach sees these guys in practice every day, Hans is not a 1 offensively or defensively although he would be a solid two on defense as he has gotten stronger and is in better shape. Gladson, probably, i.e. like Darrow and/or Brennan would be back ups for Miller. Coach could substitute Caruso and/or Cook when you can go small with the frontcourt.

With Bell's current issues and against certain teams, the Tigers could get away with Cook and Weisz in the backcourt with Cannady getting a lot of minutes. Bell would be the odd man out from a minutes standpoint unless he gets it together. Just a thought.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-29-16 02:37 PM - Post#214338    
    In response to bradley

A Miller-Brase tandem at the center (5) and PF (4) was something I was hoping to see, too, though not full time. Tough to sit either Cook or Caruso but when one is subbed out for rest or fouls this might be effective. The way Bell has been going no way you can afford to lose Weisz's playmaking and outside shooting.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
Big men
11-29-16 04:35 PM - Post#214348    
    In response to SRP

Weisz has yet to shoot well against D1 defense this year.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
11-29-16 05:11 PM - Post#214351    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Not sure what will be the best match ups tonight as VCU really pressures the ball on defense and gets right into the opponents' face. They also constantly attack the basket on offense and are going at full speed from a tempo standpoint.

I think that they will really need Miller on defense tonight although he may get in foul trouble.

Based on watching VCU play Baylor and Liberty on ESPN, very tough match up for Tigers far more than BYU and Lehigh based on Tiger's style of play. Cook, Caruso Bell and Cannady will need to go to the hoop as VCU plays such a tight man to man.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.189 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:09 PM