Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Keeping Tabs        (Topic#19566)
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
12-02-16 12:24 PM - Post#214666    

The wins haven't come yet, but the ODU game gave us an inkling of hope that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a high speed train. So with 5 games under our belt and 5 losses to their name how is Coach Mac doing versus his benchmark goals?

Taken from Kevin Whitaker's article in nybuckets.com , here's what Coach McLaughlin put out there:

In his introductory press conference last week, McLaughlin hinted at some traits he wants his Big Green to have. “We want to play with space and pace, want to keep the floor open … the ball is made to move,” he said, adding an emphasis on protecting the paint on defense.

That vision requires some substantial changes for Dartmouth. Here’s where it ranked last year in those areas:

Space: 29% 3PA/FGA, #8 Ivy (#317 D-I)

Pace: 69 Poss/Gm, #3 Ivy (#203 D-I)

Ball Movement: 47% A/FG, #7 Ivy (#175 D-I)

Paint Protection: 4% Block Rate, #8 Ivy (#334 D-I)

Here's where we are versus the benchmarks:

Space: 37.2% 3PA/FGA (#153 D-I)

Pace: 70.3 Poss/Gm (#148 D-I)

Ball Movement: 48.2% A/FG (#244 D-I)

Paint Protection: 18.3% Block Rate (#350 D-I)

So a quick comparison suggest we are have achieved a mere 50% of the benchmark objectives. We have improved in spacing the floor versus last year with our 3PA up and our possessions. Mind you this is versus D-I not versus our own last year's numbers. So in the case of ball movement our % is up from 47% to 48.2% but versus D-I we are now 244th versus 175th. Lastly, Paint protection was so bad last year getting worse doesn't make that big of a difference but we are worse there too. We moved down from 334th to 350th.

I'm sure there are additional metrics to look at to gauge the objectives but on these we haven't gotten a passing grade yet. I would also add the Four Factors to the benchmark. We are well below the D-I average in eFG%, T/O%, and OREB%. Of particular concern is the spread between the offensive and defensive T/O% we're rated 288th and 310th respectively. So not only are we getting giving the ball up we aren't offsetting that by turning over the opponent.

Solutions? It seems simple enough to say we need to share the ball more, but with Evan being the focal point of our offense and the opposing teams defense the ball inevitably ends up stuck in his hands. Developing some "reliable" offense away from Evan will boost ball movement. Heaven help us if we don't have Evan. Solutions for block percentage are pretty limited. We're not going to block many shots unless we become more athletic. We can pack the paint and stop the drive. We need better help D in our man-to-man or we need a zone defense.

In terms of the Four Factors (eFG%, T/O%, OREB%, & FTA/FGA) improving our eFG% just requires adjusting the sliders a bit. Diversifying away from Evan and Miles and encouraging the other starters to take more shots would aid in this category. We also have a fair amount of active rotation players who are over the D-I avg in eFG% that could bump up the number if they played more.

Fixing T/O% requires more than just valuing the ball. It really requires reducing the floor time of the most egregious culprits where their offensive output is undermined by their T/Os.

OREB% or offensive rebounds are almost as elusive as blocks. This is just a hustle stat. Carter, Evan and Wesley lead in this category. You can't ask Evan to do more so the other starters need to step up.

FTA/FGA is the one factor of the four that is decent. Evan does a great job of getting to the line. It's aided by the number of bodies they throw at him on the block and his bull in a china shop basket attacks. Outside of Evan, Wesley, Flemming, and Carter have demonstrated an ability to get to the line.

All that said I would just be happy to see more effort like in the ODU game. Clean up the fouls a little bit and we might not get run over by the light at the end of the tunnel.
"...no excuses - only results!”

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

Reg: 11-30-16
12-02-16 01:35 PM - Post#214675    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

It's a good analysis and I think you are pretty spot on (although I cant quite see the light at the end of the tunnel yet.)

Ideally, the way we are going to win games is if someone other than Boudreaux actually shows up to play a game. Given what we've seen so far this year (and last) the candidates for that are Wright, G.Smith, Taylor, and maybe Sistare. I haven't seen enough of any of the freshman to know who else might be able to score.

Breaking it down by these options leave a lot to be desired.

-Wright vanishes for large swaths of games and often looks disinterested in playing defense despite having all the physical tools to be a lockdown player.

-Gillian has the ability to score, but that seems to be about it. He puts his head-down and is predictable every possession. While I think we do need someone slashing to the basket, you cant do that and not have any court vision.

-Taylor seems to have regressed from last year and doesn't look to be 100%. He certainly isnt a PG and has struggled playing as such. Shown by the 0.8 A/T ratio. (Assists in general are something that remain shockingly absent)

-Sistare doens't have a ton of game tape but I think if he can get in control he con provide a lot. While he has been getting beaten a lot on defense and often bulls himself into the lane, he appears to be a decent passer. I think he will continue to improve as the season goes on, but I cant imagine him become a major scoring threat.

That leaves the rest of the roster- which I honestly havent seen enough to have an opinion. I would think Ike and Wes have potential as defensive stoppers but that hasnt been apparent in any of our games thus far.

The overall point of this longwinded post is that if we are to win this season, a second scoring option NEEDS to develop and in order for that to occur someone is going to need to drastically change up their game.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
12-02-16 03:19 PM - Post#214679    
    In response to SomeDartmouthStudent

• SomeDartmouthStudent Said:
It's a good analysis and I think you are pretty spot on (although I cant quite see the light at the end of the tunnel yet.)

Ideally, the way we are going to win games is if someone other than Boudreaux actually shows up to play a game. Given what we've seen so far this year (and last) the candidates for that are Wright, G.Smith, Taylor, and maybe Sistare. I haven't seen enough of any of the freshman to know who else might be able to score.

Breaking it down by these options leave a lot to be desired.

-Wright vanishes for large swaths of games and often looks disinterested in playing defense despite having all the physical tools to be a lockdown player.

-Gillian has the ability to score, but that seems to be about it. He puts his head-down and is predictable every possession. While I think we do need someone slashing to the basket, you cant do that and not have any court vision.

-Taylor seems to have regressed from last year and doesn't look to be 100%. He certainly isnt a PG and has struggled playing as such. Shown by the 0.8 A/T ratio. (Assists in general are something that remain shockingly absent)

-Sistare doens't have a ton of game tape but I think if he can get in control he con provide a lot. While he has been getting beaten a lot on defense and often bulls himself into the lane, he appears to be a decent passer. I think he will continue to improve as the season goes on, but I cant imagine him become a major scoring threat.

That leaves the rest of the roster- which I honestly havent seen enough to have an opinion. I would think Ike and Wes have potential as defensive stoppers but that hasnt been apparent in any of our games thus far.

The overall point of this longwinded post is that if we are to win this season, a second scoring option NEEDS to develop and in order for that to occur someone is going to need to drastically change up their game.

If you want points here's a line up based on a per 40 & Per 100 Possessions with more than 10 mins played (it eliminates Barry who only 6 mins)...

1. Boudreaux....21.2 & 30.4 (40 & 100)
2. Carter.......17.6 & 25.2 (40 & 100)
3. G. Smith.....17.1 & 24.5 (40 & 100)
4. Taylor.......12.0 & 17.2 (40 & 100)
5. Wright.......10.7 & 15.3 (40 & 100)

But I'm swapping out Taylor for Sistare, Fleming, Cameron, or Barry. Taylor's T/O are just too costly. On a per 40 his 12 Points are negated by his 6 turnovers if they are converted to made baskets.

2016-17 Dartmouth Big Green Roster and Stats

"...no excuses - only results!”

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
12-02-16 06:26 PM - Post#214692    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

I was glad and maybe a bit relieved to see a strong defensive effort vs ODU.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.182 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:11 PM