Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Boston College        (Topic#19569)
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
12-03-16 12:50 AM - Post#214703    

PREVIEWS

THE BIG GREEN takes on Boston College

Boston College vs Dartmouth Final Thoughts & Predictions

Watch ESPN - Dartmouth vs Boston College 1PM ET
"...no excuses - only results!”

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Re: Boston College
12-03-16 11:41 AM - Post#214714    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

• GoBigGreenBasketball Said:

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
12-03-16 02:22 PM - Post#214721    

Early observation

Dartmouth looks much more together

Completely different than first 4 games where there was no real team feel or flow

Still early, but right there with BC, even with minimal scoring by Evan

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

12-05-16 11:26 AM - Post#214881    
    In response to hoopla

I noticed at the end Coach McLaughlin put in almost all the freshman. I liked what I saw. Emery got fouled on a dunk. He tried to jam it with authority...likely pent up frustration from being on the DNP list for the first six games. Emery played a mere 3 min and got to the line twice. Brendan Barry had a tip in! Barry has done something positive when he's gotten in the game. I know it was garbage time minutes but they looked like they wanted it.

I also noticed that there was a change in the starting line up. Fleming got the start had 6 assist to one turnover for the game.

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

Reg: 11-30-16
12-05-16 11:46 AM - Post#214887    

We actually didn't look awful. I think this is proof for giving the freshman a chance.

Also- Boudreaux is suspended for Wednesday if they don't appeal. Very questionable Flagrant 2.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

12-05-16 12:06 PM - Post#214890    
    In response to SomeDartmouthStudent

I thought is was very questionable and unfortunate. We were just discussing on the board what life without Evan would look like, SMH. Life has a funny way of exposing your concerns like that. Now we're about to find out what a game without Evan as the focal point.

It is almost 100% unlikely that it was intentional, but if wasn't it's understandable. Evan is constantly double teamed, banged, and fouled but still given the ball and expected to carry the team. They have to release the pressure on that poor guy.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

12-05-16 12:54 PM - Post#214894    

• SomeDartmouthStudent Said:
We actually didn't look awful. I think this is proof for giving the freshman a chance.

Also- Boudreaux is suspended for Wednesday if they don't appeal. Very questionable Flagrant 2.

Being 0-6 and looking at 0-7 after Vermont, I'd agree with you that it's time to give someone a chance. If any of the underclassmen are skilled with a modicum of talent they need to get real minutes on the court alongside Evan, Miles, and Guilien before league.

If you have upperclassmen who haven't developed to this point you can only blame the previous coach so much for their lack of development. That's what summers are for, personal development that's on the player not the coach especially in the Ivies. It is also unlikely that the same upperclassman is going to suddenly level-up. It's a very questionable decision to invest minutes in that player.

To your point Amaker over at Harvard is wasting no time getting his freshman talent on the floor. The Green is going to find themselves in a tough spot next year too if something doesn't give.

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

12-05-16 01:46 PM - Post#214899    

On the bright side I think my information was flawed. Looks like the league might have to hand down the suspension- we could be in the clear.

At this point with a few non-conference opponents left, I think we need to be giving freshman minutes so we know what we have come Ivy play.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

12-05-16 01:51 PM - Post#214900    

That's great news!!! That should be a warning to us to prepare for such a scenario. Because right now we'd lose without his production. We're currently 325th of 351 in points scored per game on the D-I level. Right now it would be a disaster without his contribution. Right now we're living paycheck to paycheck and still coming up short! We might have to file for Chapter 11 with no Evan!

hoopla 
Masters Student

12-05-16 03:34 PM - Post#214910    

We need to do whatever it takes to get better ASAP, and certainly this means by the Ivy season.

The program needs to win this year (at least .500), and if we sink below 300 we have taken an inexcusable step back. Inexcusable bc it was self inflicted.

Will our stars stick with the program if we end up with 6 wins this year? We were shocked when Alex Mitola left and that was a huge setback. I certainly hope other college coaches don't start calling our starters' high school coaches to express interest.

I'm not blaming Coach Mac if we stay in the dark depths where we're currently swimming this year. He needs and deserves the time and space to put it together. Technically, he has the full term of his contract to finish what Cormier started, getting us to be a regular top half contender and occasional threat to win the league. I would argue we need significant continuity at the coaching spot.

I agree that the freshman have looked good and should continue to get more burn. I think Wes is important, though. I like Ike, but sorry I just don't see it. There is reason he never played. I saw Emerys near dunk! Carter and Sistare are both already strong contributors. I'd love to see Barry emerge, but also believe our top recruiting priority is a top point guard who can contribute how Mitola did as a freshman. Then we are absolutely top 4.

The team looked good for the stretches of the BC game that I watched. I guess a concern is that we ended up losing by 18 to a team that currently ranks bottom half of Ivy though. Penn, who we are or should be better than IMO is ranked ahead of BC.

Momentum can change quickly though and I have faith. What a joke if Evan can't play vs UVM. I didn't see the play but I know he would not intentionally hurt someone to a level of being suspended for a second game.

This time of strife is a test. Gear up, men.

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

12-05-16 05:26 PM - Post#214916    
    In response to hoopla

That's a good point. I can't see Boudreaux sticking around for 2 more seasons of this...

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Boston College
12-05-16 06:52 PM - Post#214922    
    In response to hoopla

• hoopla Said:

I agree that the freshman have looked good and should continue to get more burn. I think Wes is important, though. I like Ike, but sorry I just don't see it. There is reason he never played.

That was sorta the point of developing the young talent. Through 6 games Carter is averaging more than both Wes and Ike with half the minutes. If you go back Carter is averaging more than both did every year they've been in the program.

That is not to say that neither of them should not play at all or play a meaningful role, but the numbers so far don't support the minutes considering we are 325th of 351 in points. Oh and we're also 292nd of 351 in points against us. So whatever we think we're getting on the defensive end isn't much benefit.

Let's see what Barry has he's a McD's All American nominee for goodness sake. He's got to have some talent. He looked like a PLAYER! from the brief glimpses. That emphatic dunk attempt by Emery is what we need. Shoot with Emery's 3 points in 3 minutes his season average is higher than Wes & Ike. Ok Ok it was only one game and 3 minutes in garbage time, but hey, he got those from the foul line with one being a dunk attempt. I'll take that every day.

Edited by GoBigGreenBasketball on 12-05-16 06:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

12-05-16 07:00 PM - Post#214923    

• SomeDartmouthStudent Said:
That's a good point. I can't see Boudreaux sticking around for 2 more seasons of this...

Please don't even suggest Evan transferring! Although with his talent he could play at a high major school. He's a walking double double even versus high major teams being double teamed. Someone would take him up in a heartbeat.

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

12-06-16 11:28 AM - Post#214943    

I'll try not to. I just don't see much positive there and I think any player wants to make the NCAA tournament. Boudreaux probably wont get that shot at Dartmouth.

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

12-06-16 11:29 AM - Post#214944    

^BUT- I need him to stick around. He's a blast to watch and I think he can go down as the best in program history if he wills us to an IVY championship or a NCAA birth.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

12-06-16 11:39 AM - Post#214945    

Does anyone know how practices are going. How are the guys developing. I know that was an issue under the previous coach.

Are we getting any better, because it's hard to tell from the games so far.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
12-06-16 12:12 PM - Post#214946    

Player development was a problem under Cormier? Not sure I see that -- the team certainly improved every year until the last one (and I suspect would have improved again if Mitola had stuck around).

hoopla 
Masters Student

12-06-16 01:06 PM - Post#214948    
    In response to SomeGuy

Kyle Smith said we'd have won 20 games last year with Mitola. Not sure about that, but it would've been north of 14, the previous year/high water mark.

To answer your question GBGB, the team looked to have gotten a bit better vs BC during the portions I watched, the beginning and end.

I am trying to figure out what the problem is this year.

I think they are just not used to the new system or maybe the new system isn't a good match for the personnel. I don't think that the player development has improved. If player development has improved and we are still this bad, that speaks to a need for better or more appropriate X's and O's.

Does anyone know, will Evan play tomorrow I hope?

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

12-06-16 01:53 PM - Post#214950    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Player development was a problem under Cormier? Not sure I see that -- the team certainly improved every year until the last one (and I suspect would have improved again if Mitola had stuck around).

That was what the articles I've read said was a key driver in firing Cormier. The AD hired the new coach under the premise one of his core strengths is player development.

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

12-06-16 02:45 PM - Post#214954    

Word is that Evan is playing tomorrow.

And from my experience and what I've heard- there was little to no player development under Cormier and that was the primary reason he was let go. Looking at the seniors, and even some of the juniors, there has been little improvement and often regression. I don't have access to the statistics at this very moment, but I'd be shocked if they dont back that up (when controlled for playing time of course).

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.39 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:24 PM