Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Boston College        (Topic#19569)
SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
12-06-16 03:50 PM - Post#214958    
    In response to SomeDartmouthStudent

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. Wright and Johnson both made statistical improvements from 1st year to 2nd, and Johnson's improvement was substantial. Boehm showed less improvement over the years statistically, but I'm not sure he's the type of player who really profiles to be a lead scorer, and he did improve pretty dramatically as a passer as a senior.

Crecenzi was more of a role player, but he did go from an unimaginably low ORAT as a freshman to a solid guy. Mitola may have flat-lined between soph and jr year, but he made the big jump from freshman year -- which is when a lot of good players make the most improvement.

The other thing I'll point out on this -- Fleming and Ngwudo are the only players on the team who have higher ORATs this year than last (and Ngwudo is still well below average). May just be a bad start, but it doesn't suggest that guys are developing now. Maybe they're taking a step back before moving forward, but it isn't encouraging.

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
12-06-16 04:06 PM - Post#214961    

Great news about Boudreaux!

Where does one learn that type of insider info? I've been looking for it.

I think the Cormier player development thing is water under the bridge, and while I believe it was more of an excuse, who cares at this point.

We have bigger fish to fry with what is currently happening.

But I have to say in Paul's defense, he inherited a D3 team and left a legit D1 team with legit D1 stars 6 years later.

So I guess what I'm saying is I hope Coach Macs player development is a bad as Cormier's!

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
12-06-16 04:39 PM - Post#214963    
    In response to hoopla

Being down 0-6 feels like we're slipping back to those D3 days.
"...no excuses - only results!”

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
12-06-16 04:44 PM - Post#214964    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

There was a perception that some of Cormier's better recruits looked very promising as freshmen, but didn't really improve from there.

IMHO, Miles Wright fits that mold.

Go Green 
PhD Student

12-06-16 04:49 PM - Post#214965    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
I don't know how you come to that conclusion. Wright and Johnson both made statistical improvements from 1st year to 2nd, and Johnson's improvement was substantial. Boehm showed less improvement over the years statistically, but I'm not sure he's the type of player who really profiles to be a lead scorer, and he did improve pretty dramatically as a passer as a senior. .

I'm not going to look it up, but my recollection is that Golden and Boehm started as freshmen.

Neither sniffed an All-Ivy team before graduation.

I don't think Wright will either. Would be delighted to be wrong.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

12-06-16 04:54 PM - Post#214966    
    In response to Go Green

I believe Wright Frosh/Soph campaigns were only marginally different. Minor slippage most likely attributable to the rise/dominance of E.B.

This year he's off to a slow start.

SomeGuy 
Professor

12-06-16 05:54 PM - Post#214974    
    In response to Go Green

Well, Wright averaged 7.7 ppg, 2.9 rpg, and 0.3 apg as a freshman. 11.2/4.4/0.8 as a sophomore, so he improved across the board. Per minute increases were more marginal, but he still improved in just about everything.

SomeGuy 
Professor

12-06-16 06:01 PM - Post#214975    
    In response to Go Green

Yes, they started as freshmen. Golden improved steadily through junior year, and then was hurt to start his senior year and took a while to get going once he got on the floor.

He was an athletic player, but I'm not sure why you'd expect an All-Ivy from him. Yes, he started as a freshmen, but that was a 1 win Ivy team.

hoopla 
Masters Student

12-06-16 06:28 PM - Post#214978    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

Again, not that it matters at this point and why are we talking about this...

But I would guess that most of the (perceived) regression of players' games and/or decline in stat performance under Paul was a result of the better talent coming in each successive year.

Existing guys don't look as good when better guys keep coming in and taking existing guys' minutes, etc.

hoopla 
Masters Student

12-06-16 06:33 PM - Post#214979    
    In response to hoopla

Golden didn't have any other D1 offers. He jumped in and became a legit, good D1 player at Dartmouth and I'm not sure that would have happened at any other program.

Boehm developed hugely as a freshman and blossomed into a borderline Star. He was good last year but would've been been better (as would have others) if Mitola had stuck around.

Go Green 
PhD Student

12-06-16 08:04 PM - Post#214992    
    In response to hoopla

• hoopla Said:
Golden didn't have any other D1 offers.

He had an offer from Buffalo.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB...

But I agree that he wasn't a highly sought after recruit.

The article I posted described his freshman highlights. I do remember thinking that he was going to be an impact player. But for whatever reason, it didn't happen. While he certainly had some good games in his career, he didn't take it to the proverbial next level.

Fairly or not, his experience (and others) led into a perception that Cormier wasn't developing players.

hoopla 
Masters Student

12-06-16 09:57 PM - Post#215011    
    In response to Go Green

Golden was a huge impact player for us. He would have been first team defense if such a team existed. He guarded the star for opposing teams all the time and often shut them down. Offensively he helped, too. But not everyone is born to score, which is okay.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

12-06-16 10:48 PM - Post#215028    

Has the development situation changed with the new coach?

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.015 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:38 PM