Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Tentative 2017 Football Schedule        (Topic#19583)
A Western Bison 
Sophomore

Loc: Albuquerque
Reg: 07-05-12
12-05-16 07:40 PM - Post#214926    

The new issue of"The Bucknell Bulletin", the football program newsletter, had a tentative schedule for 2017. I, for one, appreciate this earlier release.
Sept. 2 MARIST
Sept. 9 HOLY CROSS
Sept. 16 at William & Mary
Sept. 23 SACRED HEART (Family Weekend)
Sept. 30 MONMOUTH
Oct. 14 at Cornell
Oct. 21 at Lafayette
Oct. 28 at Colgate
Nov. 4 LEHIGH (Homecoming)
Nov. 11 GEORGETOWN
Nov. 18 at Fordham

--Six home games!
--The OOC includes teams from the NEC, Ivy, CAA and Big South. Marist is marked as a PL game. That would be news, as Marist has been a member of the Pioneer Football League. ( I'm betting that it was a typo.)
--Is W&M a one-off, or the front end of a home-and-home?

RichH 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-30-12
12-06-16 04:02 PM - Post#214960    
    In response to A Western Bison

You guys are lucky. We still haveblittle info except from searvhing other teams scheds.
W & M usually does H and Hs.

MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
Loc: Rochester, NY Metro Area
Reg: 12-28-09
12-07-16 04:37 PM - Post#215078    
    In response to RichH

Random thoughts on the 2017 schedule:
1 - About time - 6 home games
2 - Great addition with W&M - hopefully a sign of a possible future game in Lewisburg.
3 - Glad to see Cornell still on the schedule - What about at least one more Ivy game - why is that so difficult to get? - the rest of the league seems to have no difficulty getting 2 or 3.
4 - I realize that Army and Temple are ahead on future schedules, but overall for 2017, OOC schedule is at best a yawner. With all due respect, Marist, Monmouth, and Sacred Heart are not teams that come to mind to put excitement in Bison football fans.

Another CAA, Ivy, or possible FCS team is what is needed. I for one find another opener with Marist to be as exciting as watching a ping pong contest. I realize that scheduling can be a difficult process, but the rest of the league seems to be able to more consistently come up with more appealing OOC schedules. Quite honestly, in an era where we now have football scholarships, if it weren't for W&M, I find this schedule to be weaker than many of our pre-scholarship schedules.

Just my opinion, but honestly, not the type of schedule we should be striving for, and definitely no OOC teams that will help to fill the stadium on game days.

Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
Re: Football Schedule
12-12-16 01:08 PM - Post#215500    
    In response to MangyOne

Other questions pop into play here: How do games vs. Marist or Monmouth help recruiting or attendance? They seem to be high risk/low reward type games to me. Beat Monmouth and it's "so what" while lose to them and it's a real downer.

Future schedules include Army and Temple? Wow, don't we have enough injuries on our team each year? Those will not be tight games, especially if Temple continues to be a fast, athletic team that scores 35 points against their own league. Temple just mauled Navy, and Army just upset Navy.

My suggestion is to go back to playing Princeton, Penn, Delaware and Villanova. Maybe Duquesne. We played those schools in our pre-scholarship days! Scheduling goes hand in hand with recruiting-- no rocket science there!! I like the William & Mary game and that should be a regular consideration.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Re: Football Schedule
12-12-16 01:26 PM - Post#215505    
    In response to Doktore K

• Doktore K Said:
Other questions pop into play here: How do games vs. Marist or Monmouth help recruiting or attendance? .

Future schedules include Army and Temple?

My suggestion is to go back to playing Princeton, Penn, Delaware and Villanova. Maybe Duquesne. We played those schools in our pre-scholarship days! Scheduling goes hand in hand with recruiting-- no rocket science there!! I like the William & Mary game and that should be a regular consideration.

Can't get games with Penn or Princeton. Delaware will play BU, but only in their stadium. Probably the same with Villanova. The plus with the five ooc teams on the schedule is that they will play home-and-home. As for Temple and Army, it is a payday. Not as large as for the PL schools playing Syracuse etc, but it does help support the program. As it is, BU gives its football team much less support than other PL schools (except Georgetown). At least the money from a "buy" game presumably sticks with the program.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
12-12-16 06:08 PM - Post#215533    
    In response to Bison137

Just as a local attraction, like to see Bucknell play Bloomsburg. Bloom is Div II but is a quality team at that level, often in national playoffs. It might be a well-attended game.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
12-12-16 07:30 PM - Post#215539    
    In response to MrPhillie

You'd think Coach Susan could pull some strings and arrange a game with Rutgers. We'd have a shot at beating them in their current state.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
12-12-16 07:39 PM - Post#215540    
    In response to jkrun80

• jkrun80 Said:
You'd think Coach Susan could pull some strings and arrange a game with Rutgers. We'd have a shot at beating them in their current state.

A game with Rutgers was reportedly close to a done deal - but then the Big Ten commissioner said he didn't want league members playing FCS teams. Don't know if that is now a rule or just a strong suggestion

MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
12-13-16 10:50 AM - Post#215661    
    In response to Bison137

Repeating some comments that have been made repeatedly over the past few years, what we really need is an eighth member for PL football. It would aid in scheduling, reducing the amount of OOC games needed to be scheduled, and would add to the stability of the league. As long as the CAA remains steady, the pool of possible teams to add to the PL remains very smell. Picking off a CAA team is only possible if either Delaware or James Madison leave to become a FBS team, both possibilities in the past that now seem much less likely. Those moves could free up other CAA teams for a possible move to the PL. However, I do not see that happening right now. I still think that there is hope for a move by Villanova to the PL for football, but only when an aging Coach Talley, an opponent of any move to the PL, decides to retire. Many in the 'Nova community see the PL as an attractive alternative to the CAA, but not while Talley is there. Rivalries with PA PL teams and Georgetown would be welcomed by many, being more attractive than Elon or JMU. Again, I do believe that it has a good chance of happening, but Talley most first move on.

I am still struggling to figure out the difficulty we are having scheduling Ivys. As 137 has stated, Princeton and Penn won't schedule us - WHY? We seem to hear that Ivys are less likely to now play PL teams because we now offer scholarships. And we all seem to agree that BU spends less than other PL schools like Colgate, Fordham, and Lehigh in that area. So why do those 3 schools schedule more Ivys than we do - I just don't get it.

Doktore K seems to share my feelings that Marist, Monmouth, Sacred Heart, and the like just don't seem to excite any Bison fans, certainly can't help recruiting, and definitely won't fill the stadium seats. I would like to propose two far-fetched ideas on what both we and the league could do to improve things.
1 - What about trying to develop home and home games with teams from the Midwest FCS leagues, even the Big Sky further west. These teams seem to always be competitive in the FCS playoffs and would expose the Bison to a new level of competition that can only help our future. Definitely would help our recruiting. The only downside would be the added expense.
2 - How about this for a league proposal. Army and Navy both get a lot from the PL by being members in all sports other than football. Both of them always play at least one game a year against an RCS team. How about asking both of them to commit to playing one PL football foe a year. This would guarantee each PL football school at least one Army or Navy game every 3 - 4 years. A boost for their schedules and recruiting, and an increased presence of the PL against FBS teams. I do not think it is too much to ask of Army and Navy, especially since they gain a lot more in other sports from the PL.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
12-13-16 12:04 PM - Post#215671    
    In response to MangyOne

• MangyOne Said:
Repeating some comments that have been made repeatedly over the past few years, what we really need is an eighth member for PL football. It would aid in scheduling, reducing the amount of OOC games needed to be scheduled, and would add to the stability of the league. As long as the CAA remains steady, the pool of possible teams to add to the PL remains very smell. Picking off a CAA team is only possible if either Delaware or James Madison leave to become a FBS team, both possibilities in the past that now seem much less likely. Those moves could free up other CAA teams for a possible move to the PL. However, I do not see that happening right now. I still think that there is hope for a move by Villanova to the PL for football, but only when an aging Coach Talley, an opponent of any move to the PL, decides to retire. Many in the 'Nova community see the PL as an attractive alternative to the CAA, but not while Talley is there. Rivalries with PA PL teams and Georgetown would be welcomed by many, being more attractive than Elon or JMU. Again, I do believe that it has a good chance of happening, but Talley most first move on.

I am still struggling to figure out the difficulty we are having scheduling Ivys. As 137 has stated, Princeton and Penn won't schedule us - WHY? We seem to hear that Ivys are less likely to now play PL teams because we now offer scholarships. And we all seem to agree that BU spends less than other PL schools like Colgate, Fordham, and Lehigh in that area. So why do those 3 schools schedule more Ivys than we do - I just don't get it.

Doktore K seems to share my feelings that Marist, Monmouth, Sacred Heart, and the like just don't seem to excite any Bison fans, certainly can't help recruiting, and definitely won't fill the stadium seats. I would like to propose two far-fetched ideas on what both we and the league could do to improve things.
1 - What about trying to develop home and home games with teams from the Midwest FCS leagues, even the Big Sky further west. These teams seem to always be competitive in the FCS playoffs and would expose the Bison to a new level of competition that can only help our future. Definitely would help our recruiting. The only downside would be the added expense.
2 - How about this for a league proposal. Army and Navy both get a lot from the PL by being members in all sports other than football. Both of them always play at least one game a year against an RCS team. How about asking both of them to commit to playing one PL football foe a year. This would guarantee each PL football school at least one Army or Navy game every 3 - 4 years. A boost for their schedules and recruiting, and an increased presence of the PL against FBS teams. I do not think it is too much to ask of Army and Navy, especially since they gain a lot more in other sports from the PL.

1. Agree that there is a least some chance of eventually landing Villanova after Talley retires. They are likely the only feasible candidate who fits under the AI. Next most likely might be Duquesne or Monmouth - but both would require a huge change in the AI.

2. Princeton and Penn have nothing against Bucknell, but both have a lot of historic rivals who they usually schedule. In the case of Princeton, they frequently play Lafayette and Lehigh, with Georgetown and Colgate also being on the schedule periodically. Penn in the last few years has played Lehigh and Fordham each year. Prior to that, they had very long series with Lafayette and Villanova. Since each Ivy has only room for three ooc games, it is hard to get onto a schedule without having some history. If the Ivy League ever allows its teams to play 11 games, it would make PL scheduling much easier.

3. There is an informal agreement in place for Army and Navy to play PL schools. Both are playing one a year most years, and Army has played two for the last two years. The Bison will play Army two consecutive years a few years from now. BU reportedly had a game set up with Navy but Chet Gladchuk reportedly cancelled it after the Bison took a Navy transfer.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
12-13-16 03:39 PM - Post#215719    
    In response to MrPhillie

I have been pining for this for a while but there is little upside for the Bison. Prior to scholarships and the retirement of Danny Hale, I'm not even sure Bucknell wins that game in any given year.

Schools from the MAC make sense as well as Temple and Army.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
12-13-16 04:55 PM - Post#215734    
    In response to HuskyColonial

as previously reported, per the Ivy media guide, Bucknell will play at Penn in 2018

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
12-13-16 05:07 PM - Post#215737    
    In response to KenZ

• KenZ Said:
as previously reported, per the Ivy media guide, Bucknell will play at Penn in 2018

And at Temple in the season opener that year, too, right?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
12-13-16 06:42 PM - Post#215754    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • KenZ Said:

And at Temple in the season opener that year, too, right?

Yes, the season opener on August 31st.

Then in 2020 they play at Army on September 5th. And in 2021 they return to Michie to play Army at the end of the year, November 13th. Will be nice to visit so early in the year in 2020 when it should be warm. It will likely be freezing the next year however.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Tentative 2017 Football Schedule
12-13-16 07:45 PM - Post#215758    
    In response to Bison137

Originally it looked like that 2018 Temple game might be the first in a brand new on-campus facility, but that controversial project is now in limbo, which means the Bison would be playing at Lincoln Financial Field.
http://temple-news.com/news/football-program -stay-...

MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
12-20-16 12:58 PM - Post#216286    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

A neighbor Temple alum, who also has a son currently attending Temple, tells me that new on campus stadium is less and less likely as time goes by - very controversial among local residents and large alumni groups. He currently gives it a 1 in 3 chance of happening.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.201 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:15 PM