Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Username Post: Brodeur        (Topic#19620)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
12-13-16 01:08 AM - Post#215636    

I figured Brodeur deserves his own thread. It's obvious that he is the most exciting big man since Ugonna, as many have noted.

But I took a look - he is ahead of U's freshman stats already at this point - and he hasn't even reached the conference games. He is at 14PPG, 6.1 RPG, and 52% FG%. At the end of the season, U averaged 11PPG, just under 6RPG, and 50% FG%.

What I like most about Brodeur is that his game is built on great fundamentals. He is a great athlete and has a physical game, but he has honed specific moves that can work even against top competition.

U had a strange game in this manner. He had great games against top competition, but sometimes would have head scratching complacency against weaker teams. I recall him being in Dunphy's dog house a fair amount for a star player. While their season rebounding averages are near equal, I like Brodeur's rebounding fundamentals a lot more.

Brodeur never stops hustling. He is a lot of fun to watch.

Edited by Penndemonium on 12-13-16 01:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Brodeur
12-13-16 02:58 AM - Post#215638    
    In response to Penndemonium

• Penndemonium Said:
I figured Brodeur deserves his own thread. It's obvious that he is the most exciting big man since Ugonna, as many have noted.

But I took a look - he is ahead of U's freshman stats already at this point - and he hasn't even reached the conference games. He is at 14PPG, 6.1 RPGe, and 52% FG%. At the end of the season, U averaged 11PPG, just under 6RPG, and 50% FG%.

What I like most about Brodeur is that his game is built on great fundamentals. He is a great athlete and has a physical game, but he has honed specific moves that can work even against top competition.

U had a strange game in this manner. He had great games against top competition, but sometimes would have head scratching complacency against weaker teams. I recall him being in Dunphy's dog house a fair amount for a star player. While their season rebounding averages are near equal, I like Brodeur's rebounding fundamentals a lot more.

Brodeur never stops hustling. He is a lot of fun to watch.

U was playing with two senior All-Ivy guards who were shouldering the scoring burden. Despite his talent he was never the first choice on offense his freshman year. The fact that he still reached a double-digit scoring average as the third option was pretty impressive.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
12-13-16 08:07 AM - Post#215640    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Brodeur was Donahue's prize recruit of this class - a player Donahue has been tracking for years. If this is the type of player Donahue wants and can successfully recruit then yes please, bring in more.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
12-13-16 08:19 AM - Post#215641    

We had a nice big man in DNH, too, but AJ is ahead of him in several respects. When AJ gets the ball in the post, he has a series of great moves he can use to get to the hoop. He is also a fantastic passer. Most importantly, given the number of touches he gets and passes he makes, he does not turn it over anywhere near as much as DNH did, at least to this observer.

Edited by penn nation on 12-13-16 08:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TheLine 
Professor

12-13-16 09:13 AM - Post#215643    
    In response to penn nation

Add in that Brodeur has a fantastic motor. He doesn't take plays off and he wears down the other team. It's the same with Howard.

That's the difference between fading and getting blown out in the last 5 minutes vs. winning the game.

palestra38 
Professor

12-13-16 09:34 AM - Post#215645    
    In response to penn nation

DNH is a completely different player, of course, but the real difference in production is that we now have the kind of ball movement we only could have dreamed about over the past 4 years. I counted as many as 9-10 passes in a sequence leading to a basket yesterday. We move and weave and don't turn the ball over often doing it. AJ is part of that, of course, and DNH (although he became a better passer over his 4 years) never was the kind of guy who could take the ball at the high post and either pass or roll to the basket. But right now, our ball movement is better than any Penn team since the Allen-Maloney teams.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
12-13-16 09:40 AM - Post#215646    
    In response to palestra38

Exactly. The ball movement was crisp. The player movement was crisp and precise. The announcers marvelled. Q marvelled.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
12-13-16 09:42 AM - Post#215647    

Yes, I made a comment in the game thread that in stretches the passing, movement and spacing reminded me of those Allen-Maloney teams.

Edited by penn nation on 12-13-16 09:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
12-13-16 09:54 AM - Post#215650    
    In response to TheLine

The hustle and motor points are exactly right. Amazing that, after guarding a 7'6 guy for most of 36 minutes, he still had enough left to get to the basket for a couple of absolutely huge field goals at the end.

Also, I don't want to disparage our prior center, who was also very good. But I think Brodeur is better right now than DNH was as a senior.

And I don't want to disparage Ugonna, who was awesome as a junior and senior. But Brodeur is better than Ugonna was as a freshman, too. As another poster pointed out, Jordan and Langel were the clear focal points of that team, and Owens was in there taking heat off U as well. There's no question who our opponents want to stop this year.

One question with AJ is how much room there is to get better. He's pretty polished right now. I don't know if he translates to a huge scorer down the line, or whether he is kind of like a big Louis Dale or Ryan Wittman (two kids Donahue coached who came in ready to play and got better, but not necessarily in an obvious statistical sense).

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
12-13-16 11:18 AM - Post#215663    
    In response to SomeGuy

My memories tend to fade a bit with age, but these comparisons of AJ to U don't work for me aside from the fact that neither one is a true 5. U was more comfortable facing the basket and never had AJ's size even after he filled out. AJ strikes me as a more relentless defender. U a better shooter. Both great running the floor though. AJ is already getting better and will continue to do so. The key from here on in is who we can put on the floor with him in the front court. Having Max to back him up is great but we need another real 4, if only to help with the rebounding at both ends and make it harder for defenses to pack the lane. MacDonald and Howard are really pitching in, but one is undersized anf the other is a senior.

besnoah 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-14-05
12-13-16 11:33 AM - Post#215664    
    In response to Streamers

• Quote:
Having Max to back him up is great but we need another real 4,

I find this interesting because my assumption about Brodeur coming into the season was that he was a 4 who was going to have to play complementarily to a big. But it's fairly clear at this point that he's the 5, probably for the next 4 years. And at this point I think I'd probably rather surround him with shooting or a bouncy wing like Matt Howard at the 4 than put another traditional big in the lane with him.

palestra38 
Professor

12-13-16 11:36 AM - Post#215665    
    In response to besnoah

"Bouncy" is an understatement for the Howard we have seen so far this year. Where was that guy until now? He is playing at a level I would most equate to Ira Bowman his senior year, but Howard shoots better.

TheLine 
Professor

12-13-16 11:43 AM - Post#215667    

My outside impression is that Howard benefited quite a bit from the coaching change. He has always been a good hustle player. Now with improvement in his outside shot and playing in a more disciplined offense (and defense for that matter) he has come into his own.

Plus he had a rep since his HS days at being a hard worker. Hard workers with the right combination of intelligence, basketball IQ and athleticism are most likely to improve.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
12-13-16 11:52 AM - Post#215670    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
One question with AJ is how much room there is to get better. He's pretty polished right now. I don't know if he translates to a huge scorer down the line, or whether he is kind of like a big Louis Dale or Ryan Wittman (two kids Donahue coached who came in ready to play and got better, but not necessarily in an obvious statistical sense).

We've already seen it a few times, but I expect him to develop that 3-point shot similar to how Zoller did, but much sooner in his career.

SomeGuy 
Professor

12-13-16 12:26 PM - Post#215678    
    In response to besnoah

I'm not opposed to this, but I'd like the bouncy wing who can shoot the 3 to be about 6'7. Of course, saying we could use a 6'7 Matt Howard isn't saying much of anything -- so could every other program in the country.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
12-13-16 12:26 PM - Post#215679    
    In response to Quakers03

The Howard narrative is one of the things I love best about college basketball. The talented kid who works hard and does all the right things for three years with little to show for it, and for whom it then all comes together his senior year. Right now I'd have to say he's playing at a first team all Ivy level. It just warms the cockles of my heart.

SomeGuy 
Professor

12-13-16 12:37 PM - Post#215682    
    In response to TheLine

It's interesting, because last year when he wasn't shooting it well from outside, he didn't seem like a system fit.

I think it speaks volumes about both the player and the coach that they both worked to figure it out. Howard really has filled in where his skillset might not have been a fit, and Donahue seems to have found ways to make sure we take advantage of everything Howard brings to the table. So much so that it's now hard to imagine how Donahue's system works without the bouncy 4 who can slash, shoot, hit the offensive boards, and cover anybody from 1-4.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
12-13-16 01:13 PM - Post#215684    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
It's interesting, because last year when he wasn't shooting it well from outside, he didn't seem like a system fit.

I think it speaks volumes about both the player and the coach that they both worked to figure it out. Howard really has filled in where his skillset might not have been a fit, and Donahue seems to have found ways to make sure we take advantage of everything Howard brings to the table.

I want to second this. His defense has also improved a lot although he is still a little foul prone. This is another example of how coaching makes such a difference. Imagine how good Howard could have been without spending 2 years in the dark ages?

On a related note, I was very negative about MacDonald - could not see why he was getting all the minutes, but he is also finding ways to score in this system. He had a couple of timely hoops in the second half last night, for example. Again, an example of coaches working with what they have instead of what they want.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

12-13-16 01:36 PM - Post#215685    
    In response to Streamers

Even though I was one of the first to be critical of MacDonald on this board, I want to add that I am not doubting he is positive for the team. He surprised me because I was expecting a tall lanky sharpshooting shooting guard, and he wound up to seem more like a bulky small forward who doesn't really drive or shoot exceptionally. All of that said, I don't doubt that he's playing for a good reason and that Donahue is doing the right thing. I did notice that he plays within himself, keeps the ball moving, and does the yeoman work setting screens. He always looks like he knows what he's doing out there. I don't doubt that his minutes and savvy prevent some of the bonehead type of plays that we had in the past and also help push more ball-control oriented guards like Donahue, Silpe, and Foreman to move the rock around. Finally, he seems able to guard bigger and more athletic players than his substitutes. I think he's a solid contributor partly for what he does and partly for what he doesn't do. The latter doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

I just thought he'd be more of a pure shooter for Donahue's system, since that seemed to be his rep.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

12-13-16 01:40 PM - Post#215686    

One more thing on Brodeur. I almost hate to say this - you all are going to kill me for this. But he reminds me a bit of Kit Mueller. As much as I hated watching Mueller, it is a compliment to Brodeur. It's the way he positions himself on the high post, looks for the backdoor, and can drive to the hoop on either side with a long underhanded finger roll. Mueller was more of a point center, whereas Brodeur is more physical.

Again, this was a compliment. I love his game.

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.242 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:15 PM