Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Henry Caruso injured, out for the season        (Topic#19629)
The Quad 
Sophomore

Reg: 12-16-04
12-15-16 02:56 AM - Post#215938    

Toe injury. Tough break for an outstanding player and for the team.

As per goprincetontigers.com

http://goprincetontigers.com/news/2016/12/14/mens- ...

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Henry Caruso injured, out for the season
12-15-16 07:30 AM - Post#215939    
    In response to The Quad

Well, once again, very sad news about a talented player. He arrived unheralded and worked his way onto the starting team, eventually becoming one of the big offensive weapons.

Here's to a speedy recovery, perhaps a little more time for that senior thesis, and maybe a graduate year somewhere else.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
12-15-16 11:33 AM - Post#215944    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Only good news from last night centers on the all around fabulous play from Spencer Weisz: 10 points, 12 rebounds, 8 assists and 0 turnovers. He was THAT close to the first triple double in program history. Tigers final led by 3 after 36 minutes, but were then shut out for more than 3 minutes to lose 76-68. Without Caruso and Brase the rebound deficit was 58-34!!! This team must shoot 50% because it gets no off rebs.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
12-15-16 01:09 PM - Post#215950    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

I thought he was going to get it if you could just get the game to OT. Talk about a final score that doesn't tell the whole story.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
12-15-16 01:27 PM - Post#215953    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Henry Caruso is a great story about a high school player with big numbers that was not recruited. Pete Carril found him while scouting another player. He barely got off the bench for one and half years as a Tiger -- Henderson subsequently realized his error because even though he was great in practice, he was not a major recruit. Becomes first team all Ivy League player last year and top point getter --- in discussion for POY.

A 6'4" forward who played very competitively against the big boys, i.e. Maryland and Miami. I remember him scorching Maryland last year in the first half and he played fearless. Could jump and had very good one on one skills.

Played with great heart. High school evaluation ratings obviously can not capture what is a player's heart and mind.

I was skeptic for a long time and was dead wrong. Wish the Tigers could find one Henry Caruso ever year.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-15-16 01:47 PM - Post#215957    
    In response to bradley

This is just another sad story of a quality Ivy athlete who will likely compete somewhere else as a grad student and complete his eligibility. He's a big loss for Princeton.

I thought Myles Stephenson did ok in his place, but my overall impression is that Princeton will struggle even in the league if they continue to play at this level. They'll obviously remain one of the teams to beat but the league will likely not see a 14-0 or 13-1 champion this year. Last night they lost to a St Joe's team which looks weaker than most St Joe's teams of years past.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
12-15-16 02:12 PM - Post#215963    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Stephens is one of my favorite underrated players in the league.

While I still think with Cook, Weisz, Cannady, Stephens and Miller that Princeton would have an Ivy champion starting five, the tough part is how Princeton's biggest strength coming into the year (depth and lineup flexibility) has become its biggest weakness. The Tigers now have to go 4 guards, 1 big and the one big at all times is going to be at best a neutral offensive option.

The lineup options are rough now too, as Princeton lost two above average possession eaters and those minutes will likely filter through to well-below-average possession eaters (Brennan, Bell, Miller). That's going to put more pressure on Cannady, Cook, Weisz and Stephens when they're on the floor AND will add pressure on keeping them on the floor more.

I still think Princeton is the favorite, but there's going to be a book on the Tigers that it will be tougher to work around. It doesn't help that the three other teams likely to finish in the Top 4 all have options that can punish you around the rim.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

12-15-16 04:53 PM - Post#215986    
    In response to mrjames

No one who watches Stephens play every night underrates him. Princeton's problem is that we have lost front line players, not the role players who gave us tremendous depth. Only Weisz and Cook have played at or above their expectations. Bell and Cannady have regressed while Miller does what he does well enough but can't score. Brennan actually showed some fire last night for a few minutes. As a junior he must step up. Gladson is a year away, at least, although he has a great upside. I'll bet the wheels are turning in Jadwin this afternoon. The Tigers can play small but they must shoot really well if they go that way.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

12-15-16 04:59 PM - Post#215989    

I should hasten to add that Princeton is no longer the clear favorite to earn the #1 seed in the tournament. The emergence of Brodeur at Penn completely scrambles the picture. I think an improving Harvard club is now the favorite by a considerable margin. How does the League deal with teams that finish tied with one or more other teams?

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-15-16 07:40 PM - Post#216005    

Very, very tough injury for the player and the team. I loved Caruso's game, even when he was still in the "whirling dervish" mode early on. He would be a fantastic grad transfer for almost any program. I hope his senior year goes well in all other areas; his career is a poster for persistence and asserting oneself on behalf of the team.

As for the team...Caruso added a lot of rebounding and toughness in addition to his offensive efficiency and defensive prowess. It is now going to be imperative for the post guys to do something on offense besides make handoffs, just to keep the defense guessing.

Defensively, it might not be bad to play two bigs, especially if they go zone (as they may need to anyway), but then the other three guys are going to have to generate a lot of offense. They still have problems stopping penetration without giving away the store under the rim with help. Cuff (analyzing the SJU game) thought the helpers were just being laggard about getting back after showing, but in any case they will need to keep working at that stuff.

I disagree that Cannady has regressed. He is getting more focus from defenses but is still the best chips-are-down scorer on the team, with no fear and a steady stroke. The Bell situation is baffling. Stephens has been terrific and seems to still be improving, so the extra minutes for him won't be all bad. Weisz may be kicking it to his top level each game, which would be terrific news--a little bit of TJ Bray-style play would go a long way for this group.

These injuries are taking away from depth and front-line quality but I still like the Tigers' depth to absorb the blow. Three serviceable big men, two good big guard/swingman types, and two good point guards, not counting the likes of Young, Rayner, etc. behind them, mean that this team can still present problems to most opponents, especially when they hit their open treys and FTs.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-15-16 07:54 PM - Post#216007    
    In response to SRP

Here's MH after the SJU game:

“We’re adjusting,” Henderson said. “This is a tough loss, but we learned a lot about what we’re going to be like going forward. I have confidence in the group. I think maybe we were thinking a little bit too much about who wasn’t here to start (the game).”

They better get over it by Tuesday at Monmouth.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-15-16 08:07 PM - Post#216008    
    In response to SRP

By the way I thought Dalen Cuff did a very nice job. I think he has a good chance to advance up the broadcasting food chain.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
12-16-16 10:02 AM - Post#216020    

It is a good question as to who should be the favorite for the IL crown although it is not all that relevant with the IL tournament on the horizon. So far, no IL team has stood out based on their play based on watching a fairly large sample. All of the contenders have plusses and minuses. It may simply turn out to be a down year but time will tell.

Other than a few good stretches of 10 minutes of play, IL teams have not displayed consistent solid play but there is some remaining time for some team(s) to get their act together.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
12-16-16 11:21 AM - Post#216024    
    In response to bradley

Personally, I'm picking (sadly ) Yale.

DelMarHoops 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 11-23-15
12-16-16 11:27 AM - Post#216025    
    In response to bradley

Actually, outside of a poor loss to Bryant, Yale by far has had the most impressive start to the season and has to be considered to be a slight favorite to win the league. Losses to Virginia, Pitt and league favorite Vermont on the road with the Pitt and Vermont games coming down to the final minutes. A win over Washington, league favorite LeHigh, and Albany round out a better overall showing than Harvard, Penn or Princeton to date. Team is showing great balance, better depth than the pundits predicted and contributions from all four freshman. While you can make a case for HYP or Penn, Yale looks to be the most consistent for now.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
12-16-16 12:24 PM - Post#216032    
    In response to DelMarHoops

I'm still opposed to concept of an ivy tournament, but if we are to have one, I don't think anyone can still complain about it being a disadvantage to the Tigers' prospects this year.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
12-16-16 12:45 PM - Post#216036    
    In response to DelMarHoops

Well, Pomeroy still has Princeton much higher than Yale, for what that's worth. While Princeton doesn't have any top 200 wins (and Yale has 3), Princeton also hasn't lost to anybody ranked as low as either Vermont or Bryant. That also means Princeton hasn't lost to anybody ranked as low as Yale, and Yale hasn't beaten anybody ranked as high as Princeton.

I do think Princeton is more of an unknown, in that we don't know what happens against teams in the 100-200 range, which is where Yale, Harvard, and Penn all seem to be.

I know the start has been disappointing for Princeton fans. I think we Penn and Princeton fans have a tendency to remember the '90s and presume that a very good Ivy champ is going to go 26-2 and 14-0. As the league has improved top to bottom, that just doesn't happen anymore. Princeton has played a very challenging OOC slate -- obviously losing all of those games is not what you were hoping for, but I think the numbers say that Princeton held up pretty well despite the lack of wins.

So Princeton is still the favorite in my eyes.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
12-16-16 02:10 PM - Post#216047    
    In response to SomeGuy

The high variance of a Princeton team that depends on three point shooting, combined with the coaching of Jones (who always does well against Princeton) is why I lean toward Yale.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Re: Cannady
12-16-16 05:50 PM - Post#216069    
    In response to SRP

By regressing I mean his shooting % is considerably lower than last year, both for 2 pt FG's and for 3's. His TO rate is higher and he is not yet a solid defensive player. That said, I can think of no one else I'd rather see take the tough shot needed to win at the end of a game. The Tigers play their first 3 Ivy games at home including Penn and Yale. We'll know all we'll need to know by January 14.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-17-16 01:39 AM - Post#216082    
    In response to SomeGuy

Seems like Princeton's performance to date, while possibly disappointing, is now somewhat irrelevant. Sadly, Princeton is now without two starters. Taking an opposite approach, a rebuilt young Yale squad missed possibly its most talented player until recently, and Amaker seemed to be evaluating his talent until recently. Not much of what we have seen thus far is relevant among HYP.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.372 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:52 PM