Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: New Commit: Jake Klores        (Topic#19630)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
01-20-17 03:38 PM - Post#218862    
    In response to TheLine

As I recall, Columbia had to make a commitment to use the land for academi, rresearch buildings only, specifically excluding athletic facilities,

west coast fan

LionFan 
Senior

Reg: 11-07-06
01-20-17 06:12 PM - Post#218891    
    In response to internetter

I think the AD submitted a proposal for athletics space at Manhattanville to the university provost. At the time, the AD reported to the provost, not the president. The story was that the provost sat on the proposal, and did not submit it to the planning committee.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
01-21-17 12:19 AM - Post#218916    
    In response to LionFan

I am wondering if Columbia might convert Uris Hall into a vertical physical health and gymnasium facility when the Columbia Business School relocates to the Manhattanville Campus in the year 2021. Uris is close to Levien and it seems to me that a creative minded architect could design a world class athletic center joining the two facilities.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

01-21-17 06:20 AM - Post#218917    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

I have no idea whether there's enough room on the Uris site, but that's certainly one idea. Another is to persuade NYC to let us build a mid-sized arena in Riverside Park that would be open to city H.S. Games and could be used if the City ever decided to bid for the Olympics again.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
01-21-17 10:03 AM - Post#218921    
    In response to Dr. V

Nowadays, creative architects find room to build almost anything. The gorgeous Arch gateway museum and ride in St.Louis is a a brilliant example of creative thinking. Also, several of Columbia's recently constructed buildings have been imaginatively designed. However, Columbia missed an easy opportunity to expand Levien when it erected the Northwest Building. Incidentally, forget building anything in Riverside Park. The anti-sports people who rule the Upper West Side of Manhattan will never let that happen.

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
01-21-17 12:16 PM - Post#218928    
    In response to Dr. V

• Dr. V Said:
I have no idea whether there's enough room on the Uris site, but that's certainly one idea. Another is to persuade NYC to let us build a mid-sized arena in Riverside Park that would be open to city H.S. Games and could be used if the City ever decided to bid for the Olympics again.

That didn't work out so well the last time, when Columbia proposed an athletic center in Morningside Park to be shared jointly by the university and the community. :^(

I think based on past history, replacing Uris Hall is a better idea.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

01-22-17 05:50 AM - Post#219053    
    In response to Murph

It doesn't matter where something is built, it just would be nice if CU could manage to build it.

There's no relationship between what happened half a century ago and now. There's also no relationship between Morningside Park and Riverside Park in terms of size, location or meaning to specific communities. Lastly, a park project could only proceed after all of the appropriate diplomatic work with various communities had been done.

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
New Commit: Jake Klores
01-30-17 05:12 PM - Post#219921    
    In response to Dr. V

• Dr. V Said:
It doesn't matter where something is built, it just would be nice if CU could manage to build it.

There's no relationship between what happened half a century ago and now. There's also no relationship between Morningside Park and Riverside Park in terms of size, location or meaning to specific communities. Lastly, a park project could only proceed after all of the appropriate diplomatic work with various communities had been done.

Building a basketball arena in Riverside Park has to be the stupidest suggestion I've ever read on this forum.

In light of the proposal to build an athletic facility in Morningside Park, which eventually led to the Black Panthers, SDS, SAS, The weather Underground, Mark Rudd, Abbie Hoffman and the Grateful Dead taking over the campus for 10 days....only to be expelled by a police riot....

Well let's just say, Columbia might want to avoid that fiasco a second time around.

BTW, didn't you once promise to ignore my posts? Feel free to do so again.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.187 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:07 PM