Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Paul Newman        (Topic#19636)
JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
12-17-16 03:46 PM - Post#216111    

I stopped in at the St. Andrews / Coate game this afternoon to see Paul Newman play. He is a good sized young man in the 6-6 range. He was the biggest player on the court and had a physical yet not dominant presence . Seemed a little out of control going inside early in the game, and his first foul shot was heaved at the rim. But as the game progressed he was more under control with his inside offensive play and his foul shooting looked more fluid with a nice release. A work in progress, for sure. He ran the court fairly well and finished some nice feeds as a trailer on the breaks he started. He got blocked inside at one point. But the next possession he wanted the ball and made a point of driving on his man for a hoop and a foul for some revenge. I liked the attitude. As the shot clock was winding down on the shot clock on another possesion, he found himself with the ball with his back to the basket about ten feet on the left baseline. He turned and put up a soft jump shot and got all net. His release continued to improve on his foul shots, as well, and late in the second half hit some key ones with the ball leaving his finger tips with nice rotation. On one other move with his back to the basket he faked going right then spun left (he's a lefty) and got by his man but was fouled. I had the sense he'd been working on moves like that as he try's to develop a more polished game. He looked more svelt at the waist than the few photos I've seen of him. I get the impression he's working hard at his game and his body.

He didn't excel on defense. He was slow to help and leave his man to stop penetration. Slow to get off the floor. Not a leaper. And he could go after rebounds with more ferocity like he wants to own the backboard. I'd like to see him play against bigger comp to see if he can create space and get his shot off. He has the shelf to do so. As I said, a work in progress. But good-size frame and enough ability to build on to make himself a decent contributing complimentary piece.

Edited by JBears on 12-17-16 03:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Paul Newman
12-20-16 03:52 PM - Post#216301    
    In response to JBears

thanks for posting this. hopefully he gets a little bigger - I understand he's raw and I don't think you can be both raw and undersized and expect to impact this team in the next few years.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
12-20-16 04:32 PM - Post#216304    
    In response to Bruno

But those beautiful blue eyes....

(And the salad dressing.)

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-20-16 04:39 PM - Post#216305    
    In response to Silver Maple

I was thinking the same thing as SM but restrained myself. Thank you for scratching that itch for me. It's like hearing "shave and a haircut" without the "two bits" otherwise.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Re: Paul Newman
12-20-16 05:04 PM - Post#216307    
    In response to Bruno

I think he's big enough, more than 6'6" by an inch or two. Big body. He has upside if he's willing to work hard enough.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.226 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:01 AM