Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Navy Game        (Topic#19682)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
12-30-16 11:35 PM - Post#217062    
    In response to MrPhillie

Game article from the Capitol Gazette: http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy_sports/p...

Has some interesting quotes from both coaches.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Navy Game
12-31-16 01:18 AM - Post#217068    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
That was the absolute worst game that I have attended since a really bad loss at Wagner about 8-9 years ago.

By attending, you got to sidestep the positively bizarre extent to which the Navy color commentator talked about the officials. Not just the officiating, but the refs.

I've never heard someone attribute almost every call to a named official, even getting to a first-name basis..."Tim Ebersol calls a charge...Jose calls traveling..."

It made an ugly, ref-dominated game even harder to tolerate. I think the broadcaster said he's been himself reffing games for 40 years or something so I guess he's in way too deep for his own good.

In some ways, I like an ugly win from a perseverance perspective, as it can promote a "never give up" attitude in games to come. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing us win pretty again...hopefully in the near future.

PS: Navy sure takes the national prize in being a child-dominated crowd. Every webcast from there feels like you're watching Nickelodeon.

bison63 
Postdoc

12-31-16 01:30 AM - Post#217069    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Too ugly for words. We tightened the D in the second half, but too much standing and watching in the first. Thomas was a one man turnover machine. Hopefully it has something to do with the layoff.

Bison7882 
Junior
Bison7882
Reg: 11-24-13
12-31-16 10:16 AM - Post#217081    
    In response to Bison89

Does anyone have any further insight on Nate's injury?

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
12-31-16 10:25 AM - Post#217082    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
Thomas was a one man turnover machine. Hopefully it has something to do with the layoff.

63, I could not agree more. I don't know if you could see it on TV, but Thomas appeared to have this glazed over look on his face. Also, he was moving a step or two slower than normal. I can only guess that he was sick and medicated, but I really don't know.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
12-31-16 11:23 AM - Post#217090    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
Thomas was a one man turnover machine. Hopefully it has something to do with the layoff.

Every year Thomas has one game where its "opposite day" for him. Glad he got it out of his system for the year.
We played like it was a july scrimmage. Glad we are 1-0 in the patriot league and will probably beat them the last game of league play so we are sitting pretty standing wise. The team needs to regroup and re-focus for the new year! Go Bison!!!!!

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
12-31-16 12:14 PM - Post#217095    
    In response to Paulie777

don't think i need to add to the game comments or frustrations, but do agree with 89 that Zach looked 'off' from the first moment he touched the ball. still he did come up with some key plays late.

did anyone else listen to postgame (Bison radio version, that is)? my understanding of one of Coach Davis's comments was that with Jones out, Moore is our best defender at the 3-spot and that is why he was playing at the end of the game. thought that was interesting. we may be seeing more of him in the next few weeks. he and Toomer each played 3 or 4 minutes over season average yesterday, this is an opportunity for one of them to emerge as a key rotation player, but we need a bit more offense from them.

nitlion 
Masters Student

Reg: 06-18-06
Re: Navy Game
12-31-16 12:45 PM - Post#217098    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Looking for some comments on refs,

Bucknell and Navy 50 fouls
American and Loyola 38
Colgate and Lafayette 32
Army and Lehigh 34
The Cross and Boston 29

I know every game is played at different pace and ref crews are what they are, just wondering when there is a 20 foul difference in 40 minute game, any comments, good or bad? Navy announcers were not happy with this crew,

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
12-31-16 01:05 PM - Post#217099    
    In response to nitlion

There was that one ref that thought he was the main act and the players were there for him to display his officiating skills. He did pretty good actually but he should have been more aware there were also other refs and players on the court besides him. Kind of like the smart obnoxious guy with the big ego comes to the party and speaks louder than the others.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
12-31-16 05:08 PM - Post#217122    
    In response to nitlion

• nitlion Said:
Looking for some comments on refs,

Bucknell and Navy 50 fouls
American and Loyola 38
Colgate and Lafayette 32
Army and Lehigh 34
The Cross and Boston 29

I know every game is played at different pace and ref crews are what they are, just wondering when there is a 20 foul difference in 40 minute game, any comments, good or bad? Navy announcers were not happy with this crew,

No two refs officiate a game exactly the same way. Personally, I look for refs to be consistent. As long as they call the game the same way throughout a game, the players can adjust how they play accordingly. Unfortunately, this crew was inconsistent. One play, a player would get mugged, and there would be no call. Another play, a player would barely get touched, and a whistle would blow. The Navy fans were not happy at all.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
12-31-16 05:55 PM - Post#217128    
    In response to Bison89

A road PL win is precious thing.

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
01-01-17 09:55 AM - Post#217142    
    In response to HuskyColonial

Over the years of attending and watching a lot of college basketball the Bison are not much different than a lot of other teams coming out of a holiday break. They come out sluggish the timing is off and they are just plan flat. (See Butler this week against St Johns) A bison parent told me years back that he hated to see finals come because that meant the holiday break is here and the path to inconsistency. I am guessing it will bounce back to a better product soon. And even better when the students are back as the campus won't be so empty.

pjm_hoops 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-14-06
01-03-17 05:16 PM - Post#217269    
    In response to bisonmania

An underrated coaching move that Navy employed to build their first half lead was to press starting about 4 minutes into the game. They didn't do it right from the start - they waited until a little game rhythm had built, then sprung it. It worked like a charm, and the Bison took about 5-6 bad possessions to work out how to beat it, and they did. But by that point, they had a hole to dig out of.

Kimbal had a tremendous second half, burying some big jumpers when the team needed it the most. Most of the fouls were on the Navy bigs, which caused them some big rotational issues. Their PG was en fuego during their run in the first half, which helped. I don't think he scored after the 7 minute mark of the first half.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
01-03-17 09:46 PM - Post#217291    
    In response to pjm_hoops

pjm, I did not think about Navy's pressing strategy. Good point.

Personally, I did not look like a very aggressive press, but it certainly was effective.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.142 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:09 AM