Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Cal Poly        (Topic#19693)
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
12-31-16 06:00 PM - Post#217129    
    In response to Tiger69

One of their best performances although the competition was not as strong as I thought. Excellent ball movement at the beginning of the game -- they worked outside/in and inside/out. Brennan had a strong 1st half performance. Cannady has shifted his role from shooter/scorer to PG/scorer when needed.

Cook and Weisz are on a good roll; they are playing consistent BB. When the two of them hit 3 pt shots with Cannady and Stephens, the offense becomes tough to defend against. Even when the Tigers played BYU, VCU and Monmouth, they got good looks. Cal game was the toughest to get off their shots although the Tigers probably had their strongest defensive effort against Cal.

Petrie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-14-16
12-31-16 08:59 PM - Post#217137    
    In response to bradley

Miller, Brennan, Gladson, Arrig.(?) combined for 18 points, 12 rebounds in 42 minutes. I'll take that every night. I thought they looked great today; makes me much more confident they can give Penn what they deserve.

Petrie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-14-16
01-01-17 05:27 AM - Post#217141    
    In response to Petrie

Oops, the combined post stats also include 8 fouls. Oh well.
Still, if center by committee gives us double figure scoring and rebounding from the position I'm all for it

bradley 
PhD Student

01-01-17 10:53 AM - Post#217144    
    In response to Petrie

Centers played very well other than Gladson who had an off game -- he looked like a freshmen. Other than Hawaii, Tigers had their strongest performance with Cook, Weisz, Cannady, Brennan, Stephens and Taylor playing very well. Moving the ball and defensive intensity all game are the keys to success.

Not sure how everyone else feels but if the Tigers would win only the IL regular season or conference tournament, which one? Probably have four or possibly five teams to be really competitive for IL tournament qualification and two or three teams for IL regular season. Hopefully, Tigers could win both but it will be very challenging for any IL team to win both this year.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
01-01-17 12:38 PM - Post#217147    
    In response to bradley

I like them better for the regular season than the tournament. The high variance for teams living by the 3 makes it difficult to put together two games in a row with hot shooting.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Re:d
01-01-17 01:50 PM - Post#217151    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

No brainer. IL first. Even if we don't get NCAA bid. The Champion is the most successful 14 game competitor. If someone else wins the "Play-In", I hope to be in the Palestra to throw pizza at them (unless, of course, they are men enough to concede the Dance to the rightful Champion and take some lesser tournament spot as their additional reward). If Harvard, Yale or Franklin wins the league and we Tigers win the stupid tourney, I believe that we should do likewise and go NIT or whoever invites us.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Re: d
01-01-17 08:41 PM - Post#217162    
    In response to Tiger69

I prefer that we win the playoffs. The 14 game tournament has been reduced to the "regular season," winning it should be accorded the same priority as other sports do, but further discounting it since that home field advantage does not attach to it.

Strategically, while one plays to win every game, I do think that there will be important coaching decisions if a team has clinched a playoff spot - in terms of lineups, tactics, etc, in "meaningless games" In this mini-tourney, each playoff spot isn't that different that the other.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-01-17 09:07 PM - Post#217163    
    In response to umbrellaman

• umbrellaman Said:

Strategically, while one plays to win every game, I do think that there will be important coaching decisions if a team has clinched a playoff spot - in terms of lineups, tactics, etc, in "meaningless games" In this mini-tourney, each playoff spot isn't that different that the other.

I can see some controversies over this--if Harvard might take it "easy" on Penn in the regular season finale, for example, I can see some other teams complaining if it might have an impact on the final four that make it.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-01-17 09:22 PM - Post#217165    
    In response to penn nation

Yes, this is another huge flaw in the tourney/folly. In the power conferences they have the opposite problem, that lots of teams in the tourney don't need to win to get in and consciously or unconsciously tank, letting their lesser members advance and get cheap wins that the committee counts as "quality."

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-01-17 09:54 PM - Post#217166    
    In response to SRP

As I've been suggesting for years, a tournament for a single bid league is ill advised. In the hope that we might get a second invite to the big dance, we've gutted the regular season, among other things. Likely, the only game that really matters this year is already known to be noon on Saturday, March 11th. The games the day before are important in determining who plays in the final. Otherwise, HYPP need to stay healthy and get the freshmen experience.
Sad

bradley 
PhD Student

01-01-17 10:05 PM - Post#217167    
    In response to Tiger69

I would imagine that Weisz and Cook would prefer to win the IL Tournament so that they can participate at the Big Dance if they knew that it was an either or although I suspect that they will give it their all to win both. They may have a different perspective in 20 years when they return the campus and see a IL regular season banner vs. a IL tournament banner if it turns out that way.

I suspect that the accomplishment of winning a 14 game tournament vs. a 2 game less than 24 hour tournament will be looked upon fondly by the IL regular season champ down the road.

Hopefully, the winner of this year's regular season; whoever that may be, also wins the inaugural tournament from my perspective.

penn nation 
Professor

01-01-17 10:12 PM - Post#217168    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I think you're off by a day. Thank you Ivy League for scheduling the final on a Sunday; this MOT will now be able to view it!

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-01-17 11:06 PM - Post#217169    
    In response to penn nation

Thanks for the correction. I'll have to revise my calendar.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
01-02-17 03:13 PM - Post#217193    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I think I've pitched the idea before, I think the CFP reminded me of this. Why not have an automatic bid for the league - but have the committee choose between the regular season and the tourney champ. So if you want to be guaranteed a spot you need to win both, but otherwise the tournament will choose the better team. Other team gets to go to the NIT.

penn nation 
Professor

01-02-17 03:17 PM - Post#217195    

Why assume the NIT would automatically take the 2nd team? It might in certain years, but that's no certainty. In which case, there's not much point in having that tournament.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-03-17 09:47 AM - Post#217238    

Regular season is right around the corner. First three games are home against Penn, Brown and Yale -- challenging games based on non-conference play. Penn game is always a great rivalry game with unpredictable outcome.

Yale game may be the toughest home game of the season based on their play to date. Coach Jones has done an amazing job in the aftermath of losing Sears, Sherrod, Victor and Mason. They play hard, tough and smart plus they have two outstanding freshmen. Yale will probably be dangerous in the regular season and tournament although they are not deep on the bench. With Mason back next year, it appears that Jones will keep the Bulldogs program competitive. He has received a fair amount of criticism in prior years which he is putting to rest.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
01-03-17 11:02 AM - Post#217241    
    In response to bradley

I think James Jones has improved as a coach. In years past his teams frequently seemed to be weak on fundamentals, and I don't think his offensive and defensive schemes were as effective as they could have been. What's more, his players were often overly aggressive and out of control. That seems to have changed. I guess people really can learn and grow.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
01-03-17 05:46 PM - Post#217274    

Makes sense but then why play the tournament at all?

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
01-04-17 01:43 AM - Post#217301    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

The idea is that the tournament games would "count more" So, las year as an example, Yale, Princeton, Columbia all would get the bid with a tourney win, sub .500 Harvard would not.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-04-17 09:26 AM - Post#217306    
    In response to Silver Maple

I guess it depends on what you mean by fundamentals. To me, Jones has been remarkably consistent as a coach. They always finish top four, and they always rebound well. They develop big men better than anyone else in the league. I think what you are seeing now is the culmination of years of consistency (plus some recruiting advantages that have increased in recent years). Yes, they have always played physically and aggressively. I think that's part of the development.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.272 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:05 AM