Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Zena and/or Lewis        (Topic#19704)
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-12-17 03:10 PM - Post#218101    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Correction: Bruner and Lewis were named Ivy League Co-Freshmen of the Week. Cannaday was Player of the Week.

I agree with Mr. Whittaker's assertion that Harvard can play smaller in Ivy games. However, it's starting to look like Bassey's defense might earn him a starting nod. Aiken seems to be recovering from what I hope is a minor injury, and Corey Johnson's inconsistent shooting may lead to his coming off the bench. Probably depends on matchups. Also, I'm hoping Miller is recovering as he was adding a big three every game before he started resting.

Playing one big doesn't bode well for Egi and Welsh, although both could have their moments, especially if either Zena/Lewis pick up early fouls.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Zena and/or Lewis
02-22-17 03:54 PM - Post#223033    

I just noticed Mike James tweet suggesting that Zena leads the league in offensive efficiency. It appears that Amaker has completely reversed offensive philosophy from last year.

No longer does Harvard look to feed the post with the primary goal being for Zena to force things. Now, Harvard looks to move the ball more, employing skip passes and passes off of penetration more often than inside out play. The return of Siyani and the skills of Bryce, Justin and Seth enable this approach. Zena and Chris appear limited to shots of 3 ft or less. In other words, Amaker either wants a bunny or a 3. It looks like only Towns, Chambers and Baker have a green light to shoot 2's that aren't lay ins, layups or dunks.

This is reflected by the fact that Lewis leads the league in FG% at 67% and Zena is 3rd at 55%. Each of Zena and Chris only shoot an average of 4.7 times per game.

I'm wondering if this is more the result of analytics driven coaching by Harvard's staff, or just the reality of having two bigs without range and a bunch of decent 3 point shooters. Perimeter play or penetration by your best ball handlers also avoids some of the TO's endemic to forcing the ball inside.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 02-22-17 03:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Re: Zena and/or Lewis
02-22-17 04:35 PM - Post#223041    

Amaker already has the horses and now he is learning how to use them from watching Princeton play. Successful plan.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-22-17 05:56 PM - Post#223047    
    In response to Tiger69

How about Amaker works with the talent (strengths and weaknesses) he has.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
Zena and/or Lewis
02-22-17 06:31 PM - Post#223050    

Teams all over college and pro basketball are cutting back on the mid-range two. There is a host of information about this, and Mike has mentioned it repeatedly. Here's just one example from last year:
https://sports.vice.com/en_au/article/numbers -game...

Edited by SRP on 02-22-17 06:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.338 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:08 PM