Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: McLaughlin 3:14        (Topic#19708)
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
01-02-17 03:57 PM - Post#217197    

Across the NCAA the incoming freshman class has been touted as one of the best. Over in the Pac 12 right now KenPom.com has 5 freshman as his all-KenPom.com players!!! Not to be left out, the Ivy league has their high profile Frosh standouts. KenPom doesn't give the Ivy all conference treatment, but if he did Penn's AJ Brodeur would surely be in there. Harvard's had its best ever recruiting class and routinely starts at least 2 frosh and KenPom lists Towns & Aiken as H's go-to guys. The other Ivies have their own diaper dandies and feel free to reply and add them below if you think they deserve recognition. But this is about Dartmouth's wunderkind.

With his AD in stands, at the 3:14 mark in the UNH game, Coach David McLaughlin had 4 freshman on the floor with captain Fleming in charge at point. Not many coaches are going to roll the dice on that many newbies on the floor with the season they've been having and your boss over your shoulder.

Word was that the Dartmouth freshman were good. I've seen glimpses of their talent all season, but this is the first time I can recall seeing that many of them on the floor at once. They held their own!!!

UNH had two FTs after a timeout with the clock stopped at 3:14. Number 21 for UNH knocked down the FTs then headed to the bench for a blow. On their first possession after the inbound the Dartmouth Frosh went to work. 6' 7" Ian Carter immediately put it on the floor and attacked the UNH bigs. On a drive from the 3pt line Carter made a tough shot, fading away from the basket, over two UNH players. He made it look easy! On the next play Will Emery, who I've noticed runs the floor extremely well, held his ground on D and drew the offensive foul on UNH's big #22. This next sequence is the one that stood out most. The Dartmouth frosh came down and ran the offense which resulted in a Carter 3pt attempt. He's made a couple this year already. The shot doesn't fall but Ian Sistare secures the offensive rebound. He get's the ball to Brendan Barry who takes an in rhythm 3pt shot which was in and out. This stood out to me because they ran the offense, had a multiple effort rebound, and got off two solid looks from 3pt range, all at a pace that looked high major! UNH was clearly taken aback. UNH looked a out of sorts on their next possession where Barry played solid on ball defense and drew the foul on UNH's PG. Back on offense again the Dartmouth frosh run the set. What stood out this time down again was the speed and movement of the ball. Sistare attacked from the corner and was cut off and stopped on a dime with a quick & crisp behind the back dribble got the ball back up top. I don't recall seeing that level of ball handling from Sistare up to this point. With the ball back up top Barry attacks the basket, but Emery was overly aggressive (and that's ok by me!) and gets called for the offensive foul. Both Emery and Barry were assertive again. UNH inbounds the ball and Emery 6'9" makes up for his foul by forcing his guy into a traveling violation with his on ball defense on the perimeter! On the Dartmouth's next possession they once again jump into the offense. Carter get's the ball stripped on the wing but Captain Fleming jumps in and secures the ball for a tie up. Dartmouth has the possession arrow. McLaughlin calls a timeout with 54s left in the half. UNH's best player #21 who quickly checked back into the game a minute earlier got a solid bucket over the outstretched arms of Emery and go up by two. Emery had a solid contest and no foul. The Dartmouth's frosh last possession of the half would come against a dwindling clock, but Ian Sistare got a clean look but drew back rim. The kids went into the half only down a bucket but up on confidence. They played some really solid ball and didn't let McLaughlin down out there. The future is bright.
"...no excuses - only results!”

Edited by GoBigGreenBasketball on 01-02-17 04:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
Re: McLaughlin 3:14
01-23-17 02:15 AM - Post#219127    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

I've been pounding the table on this one well before they played their first games. Now the numbers are bearing it out. The IVY is enjoying the same Freshman renaissance as the broader NCAAM. Our own Barry Buckets gets some ink from IHO.

It's an underclassman's league - IHO

It’s an underclassman’s league

Of KenPom’s top five Ivy players, two are freshmen – A.J. Brodeur and Miye Oni – and a third is a sophomore – Devin Cannady. (The other two are Steven Cook and Steven Spieth.) Of the league’s top 12 scorers, seven are freshmen or sophomores (three are first-year players). Three of the league’s top four rebounders are underclassmen (two freshmen – Oni and Brodeur). Rookie Chris Lewis of Harvard leads the conference in field-goal percentage and freshman Brendan Barry of Dartmouth leads all Ivies in three-point field-goal percentage. Jordan Bruner, yet another freshman ranks first in the conference in blocked shots. It’s an underclassman’s league now, and every single Ivy is enjoying the benefits.

"...no excuses - only results!”

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
01-23-17 11:40 AM - Post#219131    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

We have some great young players. Coach Mac and his staff will have fun with these young guys in the years to come. They seem like winners. I think the Columbia game is going to be a great game. I am looking forward to this weekend.

Cooper 
Sophomore

Reg: 11-22-04
01-25-17 09:40 AM - Post#219273    
    In response to hoopla

Methinks great might be a bit strong but either way, huge credit to Paul Cormier for recruiting that class.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.249 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:01 PM