Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Brown and ÊŽale weekend        (Topic#19747)
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-14-17 09:52 PM - Post#218320    
    In response to SRP

Tigers should be up by 8 to 10. At courtside and they are outplaying Yale although not having Dallier hurts Yale. If tigers hit some 3s it will help. Several shots rimming out but risk of being 3pt team. Cook can compete with anyone in il athletically and skill set.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-14-17 10:07 PM - Post#218324    
    In response to bradley

There have been a lot of interesting athletic defensive plays in this game. Cook is giving Oni fits. Miller has neutralized Downey and Reynolds has struggled against smaller Tigers. Stephens has been a stud bothering his man.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-14-17 10:11 PM - Post#218326    
    In response to SRP

I must not be watching the same game as you. Copeland is breaking your defense down rather well. And Phills and others have had superb defensive plays on the other end.

SRP 
Postdoc

01-14-17 10:23 PM - Post#218329    
    In response to penn nation

Copeland's been hot, though they've slowed him down a tad in the second half. Phills has looked good on both ends. But the Tigers are getting pieces of or bothering a lot of Yale shot attempts.

The 1-3-1 appears for Princeton and immediately forces a turnover and a responding Stephens layup (fouled but no call). Jones has to take a timeout.

penn nation 
Professor

01-14-17 10:25 PM - Post#218330    
    In response to SRP

Yep. Yale has not scored since the defensive switch.

SRP 
Postdoc

01-14-17 10:31 PM - Post#218333    

Copeland is scoring against man except when Stephens is on him.

Not too thrilled with the block call on Cook on Downey's late lean-in drive. Up until now, this has not been a great game for Downey; Miller and Gladson have both stopped his offense.

penn nation 
Professor

01-14-17 10:38 PM - Post#218338    
    In response to SRP

This has been a very intense one to watch. Stephens has done some amazing stuff but at times is just too out of control. Some bad passing by both squads.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Brown and ÊŽale weekend
01-14-17 10:52 PM - Post#218344    

Finally, a win that instills some confidence. This isn't the special team that I was hoping for (even ESPN had them as a projected #9 seed), but they're no longer a total mess who looks like they could miss the Ivy tourney.

- At long last, Amir Bell has found his confidence and he saved our bacon at the end.

- Stephens continues to impress on both ends of the floor. Gotta lean on him more.

- This team doesn't have any great players, but it's loaded with good ones. Find the mismatch, feed the hot hand. If they load up on Cannady and Cook, then give it to Stephens and Bell.

SRP 
Postdoc

01-14-17 10:59 PM - Post#218349    

That was a very entertaining and physical game. A lot more entertaining since the right team won. That 10-0 burst at the end was a real adrenaline burst and relief. Princeton proved that they could hang in a game with tough defense even when their shooting was off, at least at home.

Copeland was awesome for Yale, producing high-efficiency, high-volume scoring with a high degree of difficulty, a rare combination. Oni and Bruner looked like very talented freshman who could be taken out of their games with attentive D. Phills was a handful, tough and athletic. Their inside bigs were mostly stymied, with Reynolds being regularly shut down by Weisz, a smaller player, and Downey barely hitting the rim under pressure from Tiger centers.

The resurgence of Amir Bell is maybe the most positive storyline for Princeton, with the rise of Myles Stephens being the other contender. Yale's defense was tilted toward Cannady and Cook, Weisz's shooting was sketchy, the big men had no scoring, so those two had to really pick it up, and they did in impressive fashion while still staying focused on D along with their teammates. Very nice.

Now they need to go ace all their exams and come back ready for the road trip to Hanover and Cambridge. Three down, eight to go.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Brown and ÊŽale weekend
01-14-17 11:00 PM - Post#218350    
    In response to gokinsmen

I had also said - no great players, lotsa good ones. But while there no way you wouldn't want Caruso and Brase available, it's given the space for others, especially Stephens to step forward. They went with the no big lineup of Bell, Cannady, Stephens, Cook, Weisz with good effect - but it highlights the lack if offense they are getting from bigs. Not sure if they can get away with that against Harvard or other teams. They like last year miss Brase, although to be sure Brase wasn't at the level he used to be, although a Eurofied Brase would still be useful with this squad.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-14-17 11:45 PM - Post#218358    
    In response to SRP

Copeland looked like the reincarnation of Makai Mason against Baylor last March -- Mason was limping noticeably walking to and from the Yale bench. Bulldogs are tough and play together --- Bruner is crazy good in 1-3-1. Walkaway for me is that the Tigers are as athletic as Yale. Stephens, Cook and Cannady have some special athletic skills plus they can shoot the ball, not tonight. If the Tigers go 3-15 vs. 1-15 in the first half 3 pt shooting, they would have been up by 8 at half time. They did not play great tonight but they played tough at the end of the game.

If they lost, I am sure some folks would suggest that it was Henderson's fault. I was thinking about excuses if they lost, i.e. refs, B ball was deflated in the 1st half, Teflon coating on the rim, etc. vs. they shot lousy with wide open looks in the first half.

Henderson gave a big sigh of relief as he was walking towards the locker room as he should. Cannady needed to save some 3 pointers from last night.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

01-15-17 12:05 AM - Post#218364    
    In response to bradley

Poor Penn. The refs cost them yet another game tonight. Just not fair.

Kit 
Senior

Loc: Central Massachusetts
Reg: 11-29-04
01-15-17 12:58 AM - Post#218368    
    In response to TigerFan

All is well in the Ivy League. Princeton sits alone on top, and Penn is all alone in the cellar. Go Tigers!

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
01-15-17 08:11 AM - Post#218371    
    In response to Kit

Postgame MH said he will be recruiting over the break. I hope this weekend tilted Jarrod "Jarod" Simons in our direction.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
01-15-17 09:25 AM - Post#218381    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

I just watched the game on ILDN replay, a very solid win and always good to see a Princeton victory over Yale (in any sport!).

Biggest takeaway for me was the outstanding defensive intensity throughout the game. The Yalies had many possessions that went down to the last seconds of the shot clock and there was someone always in their face. Copeland had a great game for them but he also took 17 of their 54 shots and many of them were outside of the flow of their offense. I agree with the posters who noted that Princeton outplayed Yale in the first half and that it was only close because good looks were not falling at their usual rate.

Second big takeaway for me is that Princeton can weather a quiet night from Cook and an off night from Cannady and still beat a quality opponent. Combined with the Penn game, Princeton was 10-43 from beyond the arc yet were able to grind out important wins with ball movement, rebounding, low turnovers and excellent D. Myles Stephens has established himself as a major offensive threat and Amir Bell is showing confidence and control that I have not seen before. It seems that the scout on the Tigers is to over-play Cook and Cannady, which has created more opportunities for Myles and Amir, especially going to the rim.

And perhaps I am hopelessly biased, but I don't see this team as being just an amalgam of very good players. Cook in particular is a stud, from outside, creating off the dribble, shutting down wings on D and getting tough boards and I can see him emerge as a POY candidate if the Tigers win the title. Cannady and Stephens would be the centerpiece on most teams and Spencer Weisz does not have a dominating presence but has an immense impact on the outcome of the game.

A concern is the heavy minutes for the starters + Bell, which will be difficult to sustain on the 5 remaining Ivy weekends. Gladson was solid last night and avoided the turnovers and fouls we have seen previously and Brennan, like Bell, seems like he has figured out how to tap his considerable talent within Princeton's style of play. It seems we will need them and Aaron Young to play some important minutes as the season ramps up.

Great start and it is really impressive how Coach Henderson has reconfigured and guided the team in the wake of the shocking losses of Caruso and Brase.

Go Tigers!

bradley 
PhD Student

01-15-17 10:30 AM - Post#218385    
    In response to Tiger81

Really good summary as to what actually took place last night. Bell and Coach talked about how defense is the basis of it all and Coach has emphasized defense more each year. Coach did comment that they may have come out tight which is a concern as that has occurred during his reign. On balance, he has done a good job of transitioning the Tigers to an athletic team with good shooting skills.

Bell, Cannady and Brennan were 3 star recruits but he has not landed any high profile recruit. The coaching staff is either "lucky" or skilled in finding Cook and Stephens and/or they do a good job in developing their skills. I always thought if they had a good non-conference run this year with IL success, Henderson would get offered the opportunity to run a larger program. He is a good coach getting better.

For Weisz and Cook, it would be great if they have the opportunity to participate in March Madness but you never know with the goofy IL Tournament this year. At the very least, it would be good if the IL regular season banner is added to Jadwin as they have put in the work. There is a long way to go and Yale/Harvard will not make it easy.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
01-15-17 10:53 AM - Post#218388    
    In response to Kit

Disappointing that we play them again so soon (2/7) instead of traditional end of season.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-15-17 12:27 PM - Post#218390    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
The coaching staff is either "lucky" or skilled in finding Cook

Just wanted to remind everyone that Cook committed this week in his JUNIOR year. I would love to ask him why he chose Princeton so early. Based on his performance off the court, I almost get the feeling that basketball may not have been the most important reason for him.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

01-15-17 04:15 PM - Post#218415    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Cook went to high school about 5 miles from the Northwestern campus, where Henderson was assistant and long-time Tiger Billy Carmody coached. New Trier probably sends as many kids to Ivies as any public school its size and there is at least one former Tiger hoopster who played there (Rick Hielscher). This was not luck and not surprising--the table was set up very nicely for Cook to come to Princeton.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-15-17 08:11 PM - Post#218436    
    In response to TigerFan

Unfortunately, Simmons to Penn.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.284 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:37 AM