Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn        (Topic#19763)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-14-17 11:26 PM - Post#218354    

Great night in the Cathedral! Bad last night, great tonight. We are fun to watch.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Penn
01-15-17 12:01 AM - Post#218362    
    In response to Old Bear

Such a good win for this squad, knocking off one of the top four teams on the road. Anderson pushed the pace beautifully and used his quickness. Huge game. Spieth was fantastic and Okolie was very effective. Defense got some results tonight although Penn also missed an inordinate number of layups and threes. For what it's worth I liked that lineup where Howard and Fuller played together. I almost fell off my chair when Tavon threw away the behind-the-neck pass on a sure two points, but they recovered. Great outcome going into two against Yale.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

jst4245 
Freshman

Reg: 05-23-12
01-15-17 12:11 AM - Post#218365    
    In response to Bruno

That was a great win after and absolute sh*t show Friday night.

I think Princeton and Harvard are the top two teams. I would toss Yale in there but I think they rely too much on freshman to be a 10 win team in conference. Could easily see them with some strange losses.

I think we have an outside shot at the top 4. We are who we are but the team has a clear identity and we are going to win our share of games. Will come down to at least splitting with Yale and the Cornell/Columbia tilts.

Really nice wins, congrats to the guys and the staff. Love seeing Martin in a defensive stance for a few hours.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-15-17 01:43 PM - Post#218400    
    In response to jst4245

There is a lot to like about this team. I love the quickness, the ball movement and the spacing. Spieth leads the team in almost every conceivable category, pts, assts, rebs., and, unfortunately, tos. Blackmon, Anderson and Howard have been huge and Okolie, after a slow start, as well, but we should acknowledge the contributions of Fuller, Daugherty, Sullivan and Hobbie, as well. We can also be pretty bad, at times, the Princeton gad was just bad. The offence I expect we will have yet more ups and downs, the offense is good and the defense is somewhat inconsistent, but getting better. The ride the rest of the way may be bumpy, but I think it will be fun.

IvyBballFan 
Masters Student

Loc: Central Florida
Reg: 11-19-09
01-15-17 03:31 PM - Post#218408    
    In response to jst4245

• jst4245 Said:
I think Princeton and Harvard are the top two teams. I would toss Yale in there but I think they rely too much on freshman to be a 10 win team in conference.

Yale PG Anthony Dallier did not play last night at Jadwin, apparently due to a one-night illness. He has really stepped it up this year. Even without Dallier, Yale was even with Princeton with two minutes left in last night's game.
While frosh Oni and Bruner are really doing a nice job, Dallier's leadership is crucial. IMO, it is too early to eject the Bulldogs from the league's Top Three.
Good luck, Bears! We'll know more Friday night at 10:15PM.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-16-17 10:02 AM - Post#218470    
    In response to jst4245

That was a great win at the Palestra after Friday night's debacle at Jadwin. It says a lot about the team and coach to bounce back in a critical game. I thought that Fuller looks like the real thing both on Friday and Saturday. Brown is at least in the hunt for the 4th spot.

I am not sure that I agree with your thoughts regarding Yale. They are talented and tough although thin on the bench. They will be good this year and very good next year the return of Mason.

Hopefully, the Bears keep fighting with senior leadership from Spieth, Blackmon and Hobbie. Big win for the program.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-16-17 03:11 PM - Post#218505    
    In response to jst4245

Harvard relies on freshmen more than Yale does.

Right now, I'd rank them Princeton, Yale, Harvard, but I think they are all pretty comparable.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
01-18-17 06:02 AM - Post#218623    
    In response to SomeGuy

Most Brown teams in the past would have had no chance of beating Penn after losing to Princeton as they did the night before. As others here said, a great win for the players and coaches as they were able to put that loss in the rear view mirror and approach the next game with a fresh start. We had a successful non-league portion of the schedule and I've been cautiously optimistic we'd hold our own against most of the league. That win after a tough loss showed good character and toughness. With the senior leadership and the fast improving play of the younger players there is reason for optimism we can challenge for a play-off spot.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
01-18-17 10:11 AM - Post#218629    
    In response to JBears

FWIW, Brown last beat Penn on the road, following a loss to Princeton, on 2/14/15. That was actually the last Brown road conference victory before this past Saturday night.

On that evening, the Bears beat the Quakers, 71-55, at the Palestra, following the team's 75-64 loss to Princeton at Jadwin the preceding evening.

http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/2014- 15/...

While Hobbie had a career high 21 points that evening, the most memorable part of the game was the meltdown of former Quaker guard Tony Hicks.

Hicks was held to 1-12 shooting and received a technical for arguing with the officials in the second half. Coach Allen benched him for the final 6:22 of the game. Afterwards, he refused to shake the hands of the Brown players. A few days later, the coach suspended Hicks for the following weekend games at Harvard and Dartmouth.

That game seemed to indicate the end of the Allen Era for Penn.

http://www.thedp.com/article/2015/02/penn- basketba...

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
01-18-17 10:24 AM - Post#218630    
    In response to JBears

On Friday evening I attended the Brown-Princeton contest. During the game I climbed up to the highest point in Jadwin, where Pete Carril sits, to get his take on the events unfolding on the floor. He suggested that Brown has a lot of talent and won't be a pushover in the second meeting in Providence. The Bears' performance on Saturday supports this assessment.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
01-18-17 01:18 PM - Post#218645    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

When P'Ton plays Dartmouth at Jadwin do you mind climbing up there again and getting Coach Carril's take on my Dartmouth squad ?
"...no excuses - only results!”

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.221 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:47 PM