Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Team Stats        (Topic#19771)
Cooper 
Sophomore

Reg: 11-22-04
01-15-17 10:30 PM - Post#218448    

Thoughts about how Dartmouth ranks in the Ivy League team statistics?

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

Reg: 11-30-16
01-16-17 08:35 AM - Post#218468    
    In response to Cooper

Honestly, pretty bad all around.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
01-16-17 12:58 PM - Post#218484    
    In response to SomeDartmouthStudent

Honestly we are subpar in too many areas where we don't need to be. Aside from Evans individual accolades, the Green don't do anything exceptional. I don't think it's wholly the players fault for lack of talent or skill. I don't think we're putting guys in positions to maximize their talents.

Evan is our best player. He's scoring against double teams and everyone is focusing on him. Because of that he is never going to win the game for us by himself, especially at the 5. Our offense sets him up to be a ball stopper. We have to wait for him to get down the court to initiate the offense with the ball usually coming back to him then expecting him to make a play. They need to share the juices much better.

Playing this way we will never be at the top of Scoring Offense. We're probably where we need to be on Scoring defense %. Scoring margin consistent with our Scoring Offense %. Our FT% is great, but we don't force ourselves to get to the line enough to take advantage of it. Field Goal % is consistent with our Scoring Offense %, and it will go the way Evan, G.Smith, and Wright go. Field Goal % Defense is low because we don't finish well around the basket and Evan is forced to score against double coverage. 3pt % is low, but we just don't get up enough shots (see shot taken). I could go on but it's pretty self explanatory.
"...no excuses - only results!”

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
01-16-17 01:10 PM - Post#218487    
    In response to SomeDartmouthStudent

Kind of sad because we should be better, but I bet we'd fare better stats wise relative to peers if we only looked at the last 4-5 games. We have gotten better.

What I find more worrisome than the stats is how expectations for both the men and women programs have fallen and where we are has become "ok"

I agree it's not all about winning and losing it's also how you play the game. But the continual talk about "the process" is tough to take and probably an indication of how we've fallen on our faces

One of our posters pointed out the local Hanover paper had an article featuring quotes from the women's program accepting where they are in year 4 of the post-weilgus era

It does look like the men are getting better, but the league games are tougher than most of the non conference games

I'm still holding out for the tournament because that 4th spot is wide open and belongs to us IMO. Penn is 0-3, Brown is not very good, Cornell bad, and Columbia is very mediocre after losing so much

I'm sorry if I'm being a thorn in the side, but aren't I doing us a favor by not jumping on "the process" train again? It's been a long road to get to where we are from where we've been and it's like we ourselves are pushing the finish line further away and everyone is standing around enabling it

Go Green (please)!

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
01-16-17 08:33 PM - Post#218542    
    In response to hoopla

Well I'm with you on that. I understand the process...everyone has one and everyone goes through it. IMO it is unacceptable where we are relative to where we were last season and the talent we returned and came in at the start of the year.

The question that we should ask is if our process is producing results or meeting expectations of those in charge. I can imagine that this is what anyone envisioned at the onset. The next question then is how do we get back to that expected level. Are you [hoopla] confident in what you've seen so far? Mediocre is word I've heard too many times in my discussion about Big Green basketball and that disturbs me greatly, because I don't think this team should be mediocre. We should be right there in contention for that 4th spot with our talent.

I do not contend to know half as much about basketball as the coaches do, but can look at the results and judge performance. My musings on what the lineup should be are just that, whether they work who knows. However, what I do know is that if you keep approaching a problem from the same angle and getting the same results you need to change your approach angle. I agree with [SomeDartmouthStudent] we need to "-Play the freshman, good things will happen. Barry is the man.". Whatever, we have to mix it up.

The 2nd Harvard game will be a good read. We're playing a team that beat us. We had two weeks to prepare. Harvard plays Bryant today, an opponent we've played and beat. The coaching staff should be able to scout that game for more Harvard tendencies and see what works and doesn't work. Given all that we should see some material changes that should help us win or make us more competitive. If we roll out the same strategy...we'll just throw our hands up because we'll know if the process is working. WIN NOW is still the goal. Anything less calls into question who we are as a team. Mediocrity is not something I can accept.
"...no excuses - only results!”

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.185 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:14 AM