Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Columbia Trails Cornell 28-31 at Halftime        (Topic#19802)
Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
01-21-17 09:00 PM - Post#218991    

Columbia is down 28-31 at halftime as the Lion frontcourt is giving away the game by regressing to "pitter-patter" ball from the outside rather than playing under the basket. Columbia has a huge height advantage over Cornell, but has fallen into the trap of trying to match Cornell's outside shooting and it isn't working. Jeff Coby is having a miserable game, but he's getting the minutes over Meisner and Tape so either he steps uo in the second half or we are in lots of trouble. Nate Hickman is clearly unstoppable, but the Lions are not going to him enough. Columbia needs to start dominating the boards if it wants to win this game.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
01-21-17 10:21 PM - Post#219038    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

The Lions continued to play "pitter-patter" ball in the second half so they lost, of course, to Cornell by a 67-62 score.. Embarrassing defeat for Columbia, and fans like myself, who foolishly called Luke Petrasek the best player in the Ivy League last week. He was awful tonight. Indeed, with the exception of Mike Smith who scored 24 points to keep us in the game, no one played well. I thought Engles had instructed the frontcourt players that they had to play underneath the basket as well as outside. If so, they didn't follow his instructions tonight.

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
01-22-17 11:09 AM - Post#219064    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Words cannot describe how badly the Lions played last night. How many missed free throws? How many missed layups? How many missed wide open 3 pointers?

Let's hope that game was a one time event, and not an indication of...anything.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
01-22-17 12:34 PM - Post#219075    
    In response to Murph

Were we also out coached? Cornell as I had feared figured out how to make Luke disappear. We did not look either prepared or motivated. Except for Mike Smith we stank.

Columbia Alum 
Junior

Reg: 11-15-11
01-22-17 03:21 PM - Post#219089    
    In response to Chet Forte

Yesterday highlighted the danger of counting chickens before they hatch. We looked complacent and flat footed yesterday. Cornell despite being the inferior team in size and skill looked hungry and deservedly beat us. Everytime we caught up or took a lead, our foot left the gas, we deserved to lose, I'm happy we lost and I hope the team uses this experience and learns to take nothing for granted.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-22-17 03:29 PM - Post#219090    

Not sure about out coached, but I do believe that Cornell is better when they commit to Morgan having the ball. In other words, I think they play better, at least offensively, when Hatter is out. That was certainly true last year, and it might be the case again this year. So maybe in a sense Columbia got a little unlucky that Hatter couldn't play.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-22-17 04:24 PM - Post#219095    
    In response to SomeGuy

Except for Mike Smith I see a team which just isn't hungry. Maybe the shift from a hard charging coach to a more laid back guy is responsible. But not taking care of business at home in front of a full house is a real bummer. And the total lack of consistency from Petrasek is just inexplicable to me. Did Cornell figure out how to stop him or did he stop himself?

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
01-22-17 07:37 PM - Post#219116    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Not sure about out coached, but I do believe that Cornell is better when they commit to Morgan having the ball. In other words, I think they play better, at least offensively, when Hatter is out. That was certainly true last year, and it might be the case again this year. So maybe in a sense Columbia got a little unlucky that Hatter couldn't play.

Not to hijack a Columbia thread, but I'm glad to hear someone else thinks this way.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
01-24-17 12:44 PM - Post#219208    
    In response to mountainred

I was depressed enough at the play that I couldn't bear looking at this thread until now.

I don't know what to say. I didn't see anything to leave me optimistic.

Cornell wanted it much more than we did and got the job done. I haven't seen Cornell play much the past couple of years. I was impressed with Morgan, he was clearly the best player on the court.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-24-17 03:02 PM - Post#219218    
    In response to TheLine

I am with you on that. Morgan is a real talent, but it is beyond me how we could have played such an awful game. I know it is early in his tenure, and it is a game that was still there for the taking despite our disastrous play, but I just didn't think that the coaches had us ready and that Cornell was determined to take Petrasek out of his game and did so. Again, this comments do not apply to Mike Smith, who I believe is going to be the best PG in the IL.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
01-25-17 08:09 AM - Post#219266    

I am not sure how a coach prepares his team not to miss FTs or bunnies.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.195 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:34 AM