Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Final January Weekend        (Topic#19813)
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-25-17 10:33 AM - Post#219283    

Although the Ivy schedule is predominantly played in February, the tournament has led to January games other than the travel partners exchanging visits - for half the league.

Princeton and Penn are not in action, and Brown visits Yale in a game seemingly more meaningful for Brown than for Yale. The pregame line will likely reflect that Brown may have already had its best shot at an upset of Yale last weekend in Pizzitola. A Yale win will merely confirm Yale's spot in the top 3 while putting a bit more pressure on a surprisingly resilient Brown squad. Certainly not a death knell though as Yale could sweep most of the league's teams.

That leaves the H/D tandem traveling to New York. Harvard has a chance to go 4-0, with 3 of those games on the road while each of CCD has a chance to dig a big hole by losing two games this weekend. On the other hand, if any of CCD win two games this weekend, that team will find itself extremely relevant in the early chase for the 4th spot. I've got to assume our Philly brethren are rooting for the boys from Hanover to win both games, certainly at least a win over Columbia.

To my friends on the Penn board, I hope you enjoy rooting for Harvard this weekend - I'm going to be doing so as well.

Tournament = Strange Bedfellows

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 01-25-17 10:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-25-17 02:41 PM - Post#219311    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Just another malign effect of the tourney/folly. Harvard feels no pressure as a result of Yale's strong start or vice versa. And the "showdown" games won't be that important as long as they (largely, not even perfectly), take care of business against the weaker teams. But you can see how coaches would like this format as a loss in the tourney is just one game, and everybody knows that flukes are common, while getting into it should be straightforward in an up year and a bonus in a down year. Brilliant to focus all attention on the mediocre and bad teams for the entire season.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-26-17 02:46 PM - Post#219530    
    In response to SRP

Ignore the Tournament. Perhaps, with bad first year planning, it will go away.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.423 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:53 PM