Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Why doesnt't Sestina get more playing time?        (Topic#19827)
bowie 
Freshman

Reg: 01-12-17
01-27-17 12:43 PM - Post#219622    

It seems to me that Sestina just gets warmed up and then he is pulled out? Any thoughts on this?

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
01-27-17 02:47 PM - Post#219638    
    In response to bowie

I could be completely wrong, but he seems to get a lot of fouls. Also, I do not think that he is quick enough to cover a 3 or a faster 4.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
01-27-17 03:00 PM - Post#219640    
    In response to Bison89

He's averaged over 12 mpg the last four games. I don't think any bench player can be disappointed with that.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Why doesnt't Sestina get more playing time?
01-27-17 04:51 PM - Post#219654    
    In response to jkrun80

I like Nate's game and his attitude, and I really like his potential. i would like to see him get a few more minutes, but I think there are a few issues.

- First, the Bison have five PF/Centers - Foulland, Thomas, DJ, Sestina, and Moore (when he is not playing the three) - and there are only 80'minutes to distribute among that group. In non-blowouts, Foulland and Thomas - who are both going to be 1st or 2nd team All-PL - normally get 60 of those 80 minutes. That only leaves 20 minutes for the others.

- Early in the year, they experimented with Nate as the backup at both the four and the five. However, he had some struggles guarding post players, and it became apparent that DJ is better defensively as the backup center So he has earned 10 of the minutes. Nate is very inexperienced, having faced very poor HS competition and having had limited AAU experience. Also, Nate missed half of last season with the shoulder injury/surgery - and only played a total of 32 minutes when he was healthy. Presumably he missed much of the spring as well and possibly the summer. Those are reasons why his defense as a center is an issue. You need to be very physical guarding posts in college, but only certain types of contact sre allowed. Also it requires very good footwork. Those defensive skills come from experience.

- Nate commits 6.1 fouls per 40 minutes, which has cost him minutes when he had to sit with 2 fouls in the first half or 3 fouls early in the second half. A number of those fouls relate to the issues in the previous bullet.

- Next year, Nate's minutes should go up with DJ having graduated. Then in 2018-19, he should be a starter playing major minutes and putting up strong numbers. And If he chooses to use his redshirt year, he will likely be very good by then.

I am looking forward to his development.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.718 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:39 PM