Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Columbia game        (Topic#19832)
hoops123 
Freshman

Reg: 12-14-16
01-27-17 09:16 PM - Post#219676    

New poster. Lurking for a long time. Former player and coach at HS level. Dartmouth grad. Connected to program. Watched every game this season. Tonights observations and general observations (I had to post. Can't watch this anymore):
1. I thought Maclaughlin was a a good x's and o's coach. Apparently hes not. The way you beat a 1-3-1 zone is pics, dribble penetrations, and kicks. We are either not talented enough to beat a zone or they havent been taught how to. This is on the coach.
2. Boudreaux has averaged 20 points a game forever (conf play last year and in HS. This year 15ppg. Solid season, but this coach said he planned to run the offense through Evan, but its not happening. Granted, Boudreaux has had a tough run percentage wise (slump), but his players see him wide open and dont have the talent or basketball IQ to make the passes most of the time.
3. Mike Fleming is atrocious. Hes a walking foul and turnover. WHy does coach play him? He holds players he guards all the time becasue hes too slow to guard them. Why doesnt maclaughlin start Barry? Play the kid. Hes the future. Fleming is not. And hes muc better than Fleming.
4. We have no 5. Evan is not a 5. Hes a small power forward. Our 5's are terrible. No defense. No slide help. No footwork. Not much offense.Evan out of position. Whos in charge of development??
Macglaughlin...
5. Guilien Smith NEVER passes the ball. NEVER. He drives with his head down. No court vision. Hes ok sometimes as a slasher, but his lack of basketball IQ is overwhelming. Head down drives into 3 bigs, no conscience. Guys wide open, no passes. And hes soft. Very soft. 1 for 7 right now, many wide open people and no passes!
6. Miles Wright is actually the most inconsistent player ive ever seen. Generally, most games, hes a ghost. A few shots here and there. A few rebounds here and there. Very soft. Not tough at all. Cannot count on him for anything. Also rarely passes to the open man.
7. Sistare: Tough, but slow and not a great shooter. But he passes.Solid
8. Emery: Soft. Nervous. Will get better.

SO what is macglaughlin doing for development! We cant beat a zone. We play almost zero defense. We are a poor passing team. No one but Evan rebounds. Our substitution patterns are random and it seems that Maclaughlin goes out of his way to take hot players out as soon as they get hot. Tired of watching this poor play night after night. Its embarrassing to be a Dartmouth fan. Sorry but I had to vent

Edited by hoops123 on 01-27-17 09:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

picknroll 
Freshman

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Columbia game
01-28-17 11:57 AM - Post#219714    
    In response to hoops123

Pretty fair assessment.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
01-28-17 05:14 PM - Post#219726    
    In response to picknroll

To be fair these are not his players. He didn't recruit any of them. He's only working with what he's got. Let's wait until he has a full roster of his own guys to implement his system. Then we can really gauge the team.
"...no excuses - only results!”

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
01-28-17 05:36 PM - Post#219730    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

I didn't see the game. Sounds like it was a stinker. This team is exponentially better than it's record. I like us to bounce back and win tonight vs a talented Cornell.

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
01-28-17 05:42 PM - Post#219731    
    In response to hoopla

Funny. My buddy just texted me: While Weilgus is being honored in Hanover tonight, Cormier is being honored with his Fairfield University team for their championship season and NCAA appearance 20 years ago.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Columbia game
01-28-17 07:50 PM - Post#219741    
    In response to hoopla

I'd like to believe you, but Bill Parcells said it succinctly "You are what your record says you are."

https://youtu.be/a1dtAVNEnkQ?t=1m43s

Edited by GoBigGreenBasketball on 01-28-17 08:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

hoops123 
Freshman

01-28-17 08:34 PM - Post#219744    

I wont let McLaughlin off the hook. Here's why:
Hes had these kids in the gym practicing since October. I could get a bunch of random HS kids to beat a 1-3-1 zone. After 4 months, they cant do it? Our defense is atrocious. Are all these kids who played Middle school, HS basketball, AAU, and various leagues getting to college and suddenly cant play defense? And a coach that has had them for 4 months can put together a good defensive effort? They may be the worst defensive college team in the country. Who owns the results? McLaughlin. And he hasnt shown that this team has improved from the first game to now. They are playing the same awful defense theyve played all year. Guilien and Miles may be athletic, but when they passed out defensive skills, they missed the bus. I put this all on the coaches and their inability to turn poor efforts around

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
01-29-17 02:58 PM - Post#219818    
    In response to hoops123

• hoops123 Said:
New poster. Lurking for a long time. Former player and coach at HS level. Dartmouth grad. Connected to program.

I can take a pretty good guess who you are. If I'm correct, it's great to see that you're doing well these days!

I'm a '93 and a former football player who follows Dartmouth sports.

hoops123 
Freshman

01-29-17 04:42 PM - Post#219820    
    In response to Go Green

And Im guessing I probably know you too. My only disappointment is that I don't get to Hanover enough and my job keeps me running around. Thank God for the ILDN!

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-29-17 04:56 PM - Post#219823    
    In response to hoops123

• hoops123 Said:
I wont let McLaughlin off the hook. Here's why:
Hes had these kids in the gym practicing since October. I could get a bunch of random HS kids to beat a 1-3-1 zone. After 4 months, they cant do it? Our defense is atrocious. Are all these kids who played Middle school, HS basketball, AAU, and various leagues getting to college and suddenly cant play defense? And a coach that has had them for 4 months can put together a good defensive effort? They may be the worst defensive college team in the country. Who owns the results? McLaughlin. And he hasnt shown that this team has improved from the first game to now. They are playing the same awful defense theyve played all year. Guilien and Miles may be athletic, but when they passed out defensive skills, they missed the bus. I put this all on the coaches and their inability to turn poor efforts around

I have no dog in this fight but the bolded part above makes an assumption that I don't think is intended and if it was, doesn't seem accurate from my observation. I don't see many kids in middle school/HS/AAU playing much defense and they certainly are not taught how to play defense. There are the rare exceptions as coaches exist who emphasize defense.

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

Reg: 11-30-16
01-30-17 11:50 AM - Post#219893    
    In response to PennFan10

Middle School, AAU- Certainly no defense.

HS is another story- at least in my home state. There is no reason these kids shouldnt be performing at a higher defensive level than they are.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

01-30-17 06:33 PM - Post#219936    
    In response to SomeDartmouthStudent

How many made dunks do we have this year? I know it's not a metric, but it is an indicator of how athletic we are. I know we've been dunked on a lot! .

It's hard to compete in D1 if you don't have any athletes or we don't have any D1 caliber plays to exploit any athleticism.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Columbia game
01-31-17 01:42 AM - Post#219999    

• GoBigGreenBasketball Said:
How many made dunks do we have this year? I know it's not a metric, but it is an indicator of how athletic we are. I know we've been dunked on a lot! .

It's hard to compete in D1 if you don't have any athletes or we don't have any D1 caliber plays to exploit any athleticism.

Athletic

Athletic

Athletic

Athletic

Athletic

ATHLETIC!!!!!!

After watching these, it started to feel like we are a D2/D3 caliber team. We don't get out and run in transition, we don't get any blocks or steals, we don't put up shots, we don't get many multiple effort plays, and we don't play D

Edited by GoBigGreenBasketball on 01-31-17 01:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.266 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:14 AM